Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Fast Stream 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    for anyone who's done the e-tray, are they reusing the scenario set in an asian country recovering from a natural disaster again?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Currently filling out the full application form. Does anybody know at what point they would contact our referees? I'm assuming after the FSAC?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laddu)
    for anyone who's done the e-tray, are they reusing the scenario set in an asian country recovering from a natural disaster again?
    No. :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrafire)
    No. :cool:
    good. would be nice if they didn't keep reusing questions in the verbal and numerical tests too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind of areas have people prepared as their strongest topic for the EAC?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I failed the first set of online tests. In the practice I got over 80% in both, and I swear I got 100% in the numerical test. Confused!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dear Nick

Thank you for your message regarding the online selection tests.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide in-depth feedback or advice to candidates on the online selection tests as this could give candidates an unfair advantage should they reapply in the future.

We can however provide the following for each of the 3 tests:

When undertaking the Verbal selection test, you performed better than 41% of candidates who have taken this test as part of an application to the Fast Stream.

When undertaking the Numerical selection test, you performed better than 82% of candidates.

When undertaking the Competency Questionnaire, you performed better than 5% of candidates.

So that's where I went wrong. Wtf are they looking for. I prefer questions with an answer :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    Dear Nick

Thank you for your message regarding the online selection tests.

Unfortunately it is not possible to provide in-depth feedback or advice to candidates on the online selection tests as this could give candidates an unfair advantage should they reapply in the future.

We can however provide the following for each of the 3 tests:

When undertaking the Verbal selection test, you performed better than 41% of candidates who have taken this test as part of an application to the Fast Stream.

When undertaking the Numerical selection test, you performed better than 82% of candidates.

When undertaking the Competency Questionnaire, you performed better than 5% of candidates.

So that's where I went wrong. Wtf are they looking for. I prefer questions with an answer :rolleyes:
    That sucks... I don't think anybody really knows what they're looking for in the competency test, given that most of the options you're choosing from are key competencies. I tried to answer as honestly as possible rather than guessing what they'd want to hear; I imagine one of the main things they look for is consistency in your answers.

P.S: How many questions did you all have to answer for the competency test? Mine was about 30 but I've heard some people saying they had about 100!?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SameOld)
    That sucks... I don't think anybody really knows what they're looking for in the competency test, given that most of the options you're choosing from are key competencies. I tried to answer as honestly as possible rather than guessing what they'd want to hear; I imagine one of the main things they look for is consistency in your answers.

P.S: How many questions did you all have to answer for the competency test? Mine was about 30 but I've heard some people saying they had about 100!?
    Yeah, I tried to be consistent and honest. I didn't do amazingly in the verbal reasoning but I thought my numerical result (I had like 1/3 of the time left at the end as well) would've been enough. Until I saw the competency results!

They said 112 questions. Annoying.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    e-tray in brum tomorrow. failed it last year. this is apparently the most difficult stage statistically, when the highest proportion of candidates are eliminated.

brass balls...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petergambrill)
    In preparing your technical and "plain English" reports for the EAC, what kind of word limit did you give yourself, given you only have 30min to write it on the day?
    The way I prepared for it was to have 3/4 main points that I wanted to mention. 3 key ones that I needed to get down to answer the question in enough detail and 1 to give it a bit of individuality at the end. However I told myself that I'd only use that last point if I had enough time to get it down. When your adrenaline is running you tend to get more than you think you would get down as you've probably experienced before.

The other way of course is to plan a structure and try to write as much as you can in 30 mins...

The key point, and something they probably have emphasised to you, is the "plain English" report is all about communicating ideas really simply - I know that sounds obvious. Analogies will gain you lots of points - I think I likened GDP to baking a loaf of bread and multiplier effects to dropping a pebble in a pond.

Best of luck!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I dont know what is wrong with me! I cannot do the maths tests at all..i do fine on verbal but i totally mess up the maths - i havnt done maths since GCSE and for the practice tests i got 4 /15 (yes 4!!) Thats because i only got time to answer about 6...argh! So unfair.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done my tests yet, and was wondering whether they're SHL ones?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I haven't done my tests yet, and was wondering whether they're SHL ones?
    Nope. Just civil service ones as far as I know.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i didn't get time to answer one of the emails in my e-tray (exactly like last year, even though i set out precisely to avoid this happening again...). anyone know if it's even possible to progress if you don't answer them all?

even if it is possible, i feel quite sure i failed: had to rush about three email responses, pretty much guessed the answers.

i am just no good at this e-tray, simply do not have the skill they're testing for. oh well; good luck to everyone else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laddu)
    i didn't get time to answer one of the emails in my e-tray (exactly like last year, even though i set out precisely to avoid this happening again...). anyone know if it's even possible to progress if you don't answer them all?
    I wouldn't worry if you think you did well enough on the other questions. It was just one email.

Did you guess at responses to the last one?

I was told by someone who has previously passed that it is marked so that you receive a point for a correct reponse to 'most' and 'least' appropriate responses, but that the other two represent suboptimal 'most' and 'least' appropriate options, and they are worth 1/2 a point each if you choose one in place of the better answer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balders)
    I wouldn't worry if you think you did well enough on the other questions. It was just one email.

Did you guess at responses to the last one?

I was told by someone who has previously passed that it is marked so that you receive a point for a correct reponse to 'most' and 'least' appropriate responses, but that the other two represent suboptimal 'most' and 'least' appropriate options, and they are worth 1/2 a point each if you choose one in place of the better answer.
    thanks for the info. i guessed at one or two, and one went completely unanswered.

doesn't matter. it's comforting to know that the people i'm paying my taxes for can respond to emails very quickly... :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard back from the NI Fast Stream. I haven't heard a thing and I applied on the 29th September!! Kind of sticking with the mantra "no news is good news" but its a pain waiting lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Just in case you ever have any questions, want to talk to a current fast streamer or find out more about working in the Fast Stream. There is a new Fast Stream Facebook page with a daily Q&A session with a current Fast Streamer.

Its particuarly useful if you want any advice etc for E-trays/ Assessment centres.

Good luck with all your applications! I was in your position last year so I know how your feeling.

The page is:

www.facebook.com/faststream
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you take the verbal and numerical tests separately? I want to do the verbal ones now and ideally take the numerical ones another day. It says you can take a 'break' between the tests on the site but I don't know whether that means a small break in the same session or whether you can actually log out and do it another time. Don't want to begin until I know for sure.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2013
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Public Sector Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.