The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by new_romantic
Hey, I've got a question for you, or indeed anybody else! So as I understand it after passing the numerical and verbal there are competency/motivation questions? Even if not I expect this type of thing would be talked about interview..

So before the general election I was quite heavily involved in helping with a local candidates election campaign, I know civil servants need to be politically neutral so I'm wondering should I mention this or not?

There's no problem with what you've done political activism-wise before getting onto the Fast Stream. However, remember that being a Fast Streamer means you will automatically be in the 'politically restricted' category - i.e. your political activism days will be as good as over while on the Fast Stream. In reality it means that beyond being a member of a political party, you won't be able to do much else.

In terms of interview, there's nothing wrong in talking about your interest in politics. However, as with many job interviews for posts at this level, you are looking to demonstrate your competency and potential as a potential fast streamer. i.e. it's not an opportunity to tell them how horrible one party is versus another.

Having worked for ministers for all three of the main political parties, the job of a (policy) civil servant is broadly the same irrespective of party: providing advice and support to ministers to deliver whatever it is that they have asked you to do, in line with your duties under the civil service code.
Subbing to follow thread. I'll ideally be applying for Diplomatic in autumn 2012 but need my undivided attention on my degree at the moment.

I've also joined the mailing list and plan to attend events of three think tanks I have found extremely helpful in giving a background to foreign policy: the UCL European Institute and the Centre for European Reform for EU-related affairs, and the UK Foreign Policy Centre for general UK foreign relations and analysis on policy. I'd say my particular area of interest is UK-UN P5 relations and UK policy affecting relations with the rest of the P5.

I can highly recommend all three of these to other users, especially the FPC for its excellent new report on the relationship between the Coalition and the EU.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by gradjobplease
I am providing this service, as I feel that sitting civil servants who are looking to upgrade to "Fast Stream status" have an unfair advantage in this area over new grad applicants. This should hopefully level the playing field somewhat.

How? Since the application processes are run separately at different times of year how does it effect the balance in any way?

Also aren't you just going to give an unfair advantage to those who follow this thread and message you?

Or are you willing to do it for all 10,000 applicants? :s-smilie:
Original post by Quady
How? Since the application processes are run separately at different times of year how does it effect the balance in any way?

Also aren't you just going to give an unfair advantage to those who follow this thread and message you?

Or are you willing to do it for all 10,000 applicants? :s-smilie:

I'm willing to give the advice to people when they're at the EAC/FSAC stage, there will be far fewer people then.

I was told at my 2nd FSAC that certain departments would run "FSAC prep" sessions for sitting civil servants, to give them a dry run on events in the day. Graduates don't get anywhere near this level of preparation. Clearly I won't be able to help everyone, but better to help some than none.
Reply 44
I'm willing to give the advice to people when they're at the EAC/FSAC stage, there will be far fewer people then.

I was told at my 2nd FSAC that certain departments would run "FSAC prep" sessions for sitting civil servants, to give them a dry run on events in the day. Graduates don't get anywhere near this level of preparation. Clearly I won't be able to help everyone, but better to help some than none.

My department does this and I agree with you that it's unfair. However some 'graduates' will also have received practice at fast stream recruitment events (which I don't bemoan), and I guess it comes down to a cost-benefit issue for the department.

Yet I don't see why you'd want to offer advice in private, as general advise can be posted here for all to benefit from, and you're not going to be able to offer people individualised advise based on their own weaknesses. I reckon the best way to approach FSAC (in particular) will vary hugely depending on personality. Apologies for asking, but I trust there's no issue around payment?
Original post by ellie_flower
I'm saving up now to do a masters, but I think the sad reality is isthat I'm going to have to take out a hefty loan :frown:

My dream would be to be given Romania or another Eastern european country to familiarise myself and just learn the total history, language and culture of the place: develop an understanding of somewhere so totally that it could be home! And I LOVE eastern europe!!

How about you?

So will you apply for the EFS?
Might aswell wade into the thread at this point.

I'm a current GES fast streamer. I'm willing to provide quite detailed tips both on EAC prep and FSAC prep when people get to this stage in the Fast Stream assault course. Naturally, this will be requested/sent via PM. I am providing this service, as I feel that sitting civil servants who are looking to upgrade to "Fast Stream status" have an unfair advantage in this area over new grad applicants. This should hopefully level the playing field somewhat.

Also, to those aiming for DS, I'd just like to point out that it is VERY difficult to get into and not to set your heart on it. Don't quote me on this, but I believe they took as little as one DS economist on in the most recent competition in 2011.

Oh and of course, the best of luck to you all. It took me 2 attempts to get in, so don't get too downheartened if you don't get in at the first try... there's always next time.

Thanks im going to PM you now
Original post by rockrunride
Subbing to follow thread. I'll ideally be applying for Diplomatic in autumn 2012 but need my undivided attention on my degree at the moment.

I've also joined the mailing list and plan to attend events of three think tanks I have found extremely helpful in giving a background to foreign policy: the UCL European Institute and the Centre for European Reform for EU-related affairs, and the UK Foreign Policy Centre for general UK foreign relations and analysis on policy. I'd say my particular area of interest is UK-UN P5 relations and UK policy affecting relations with the rest of the P5.

I can highly recommend all three of these to other users, especially the FPC for its excellent new report on the relationship between the Coalition and the EU.

I'll be looking into this thanks!

Seems that to attend one of the events, one must be aligned to a party?
Original post by Jimdog
My department does this and I agree with you that it's unfair. However some 'graduates' will also have received practice at fast stream recruitment events (which I don't bemoan), and I guess it comes down to a cost-benefit issue for the department.

Yet I don't see why you'd want to offer advice in private, as general advise can be posted here for all to benefit from, and you're not going to be able to offer people individualised advise based on their own weaknesses. I reckon the best way to approach FSAC (in particular) will vary hugely depending on personality. Apologies for asking, but I trust there's no issue around payment?

:laugh: payment?

I've already helped many people in regards to their uni applications for economics, job applications, hell I've even had PMs asking me relationship advice.

If this was my source of income, I'd soon be on the streets.

I'm doing it via PM, because I'm not sure I "should" be doing it. Whether I'm compromising the process at all, because it'll be quite detailed advice, some of which is just a personal reflection of mine on the quality of the process full stop.

I've already been recognised at work by someone else who uses TSR. And also please be advised that the Fast Stream recruiters WILL be checking this thread.
Reading the impartiality code I'll probably de-MHoC MP myself before even applying.
Reply 50
:laugh: payment?

I've already helped many people in regards to their uni applications for economics, job applications, hell I've even had PMs asking me relationship advice.

If this was my source of income, I'd soon be on the streets.

I'm doing it via PM, because I'm not sure I "should" be doing it. Whether I'm compromising the process at all, because it'll be quite detailed advice, some of which is just a personal reflection of mine on the quality of the process full stop.

I've already been recognised at work by someone else who uses TSR. And also please be advised that the Fast Stream recruiters WILL be checking this thread.

Fair enough.

I doubt the recruiters will care what we say so long as we don't give away the questions. Plus they probably won't have time to check the forums given how focussed they they ll are on pushing out all those results promptly.
I'm in this year. Need to have a bit of thinking time before I truly decide which departments. Tends to change every day :confused:
Original post by ajp100688
Applications open tomorrow!

Although I'm still not going to apply for a couple of weeks as I really need to sharpen up my maths, looking from practice tests and a book I got it's really nothing more than GCSE level stuff but I just need to remember the stuff I forgot since all that time ago. Fractions, mean/mode/median, percentages etc.

Same same..which department do you want?
Reply 53
Applications open tomorrow!

Although I'm still not going to apply for a couple of weeks as I really need to sharpen up my maths, looking from practice tests and a book I got it's really nothing more than GCSE level stuff but I just need to remember the stuff I forgot since all that time ago. Fractions, mean/mode/median, percentages etc.

I'm also waiting a week or so until I'm back at uni. I'm working full time at the moment and haven't got the mental energy to start practising maths tests when I get home. I really want to make sure I pass them. I'm kind of impatient to get going but I know I need to wait until I'm sure I've got the time to commit to doing well.
Reply 54
Original post by jakemittle
Same same..which department do you want?

Applying to the Foreign Office although I know I have little chance of getting in. I'm doing History and Politics, I love learning about foreign cultures and also learning foreign languages and I really want to see the world. Plus my degree means I keep up with current affairs so it's really an ideal job for me. Obviously Central Departments as the secondary choice, where I wouldn't mind working at the Home Office but we can't be picky :tongue: I know the odds against me though, I'd consider getting to the assessment centre a real achievement imo.

Original post by coolh5000
I'm also waiting a week or so until I'm back at uni. I'm working full time at the moment and haven't got the mental energy to start practising maths tests when I get home. I really want to make sure I pass them. I'm kind of impatient to get going but I know I need to wait until I'm sure I've got the time to commit to doing well.

Pretty much exactly how I feel, I have a preliminary dissertation report to get out of the way then I'll dedicate a few days to revising a few of the maths things I need to jolt my memory about and then I'll give it a shot.
Applying to the Foreign Office although I know I have little chance of getting in. I'm doing History and Politics, I love learning about foreign cultures and also learning foreign languages and I really want to see the world. Plus my degree means I keep up with current affairs so it's really an ideal job for me. Obviously Central Departments as the secondary choice, where I wouldn't mind working at the Home Office but we can't be picky :tongue: I know the odds against me though, I'd consider getting to the assessment centre a real achievement imo.

Pretty much exactly how I feel, I have a preliminary dissertation report to get out of the way then I'll dedicate a few days to revising a few of the maths things I need to jolt my memory about and then I'll give it a shot.

How come you think this?

Yeah I was thinking that we should list good sites for practice tests..apart from the one you can find on the site!
Reply 56
Original post by jakemittle
How come you think this?

Yeah I was thinking that we should list good sites for practice tests..apart from the one you can find on the site!

Pretty much because of the numbers more than anything else. I'm fairly confident I could do well on the e-tray (I think very analytically, two years of history has made me even better at this) if I get past the initial psychometric tests but I'm pragmatic about just how hard it's going to be to get to the assessment stage let alone a job offer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
I don't suppose anyone has found anything specific on what the EFS Diplomatic Service is? I can't find anything if I search on google and there's nothing on the website - I take it would be a job in the new EU Diplomatic Service with Ashton but I could be wrong...

Also I applied for the EFS and GFS together, I went for the EFS first as that's my preference but the GFS is now on top of it on the 'my applications' but - does this matter?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Ooh, hello! I'm applying for the Diplomatic FS... Not sure I have a hope in hell, but we'll see!
Reply 59
I would love to go through the Fast Stream (like everyone else here) as I would love to do be involved in solving society's problems. I've started my application today (for the GSR scheme) and just finished the practice verbal and numerical tests. Sadly, I have done very badly on the latter as I have not done any maths or dealt with numbers since GCSE! I went over some practice tests available online but I'm worried these wouldn't be enough to prepare me for the real thing (especially with the added time pressure)! Is there anyone else who feels the same? What other ways could you do to prepare for it? and How much practice can one really do before one can say this isn't for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending