The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonbar123
i had thought there were 4 places (from a sort of inside source) but did the fs team tell you for sure there were 5? good job...ever so so so so slightly better chance...lol

I got the 5 places from this document http://www.nipsa.org.uk/Circulars/Civil-Service-Circulars/Recruitment-of-Direct-Entrants-at-Executive-Office

it was posted on this forum back in november - though that was estimated and that could have changed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Omg how long!
Is it the general consensus that not having heard by now is a pretty bad sign? Is it still even possible to get an offer at this stage, when I had my FSAC back in Jan?
Reply 1923
Sevenwonders, it's a glass half-full, half-empty situation. At this stage, most applicants that made it through to the FSAC have been rejected. The amber band is narrowed periodically, and only the final score is left to set now. Typically they set the amber band in such a way that they provide for the eventuality that most people waiting to write the FSAC pass, or most of them fail. Give or take, I'd probably guess that remaining in the amber band now suggests that you have a 50/50 chance, and you're not far off the final pass mark.

Another positive is that if you are capable of improving, being close this time (should you fail) means some improvement may get you through next time.

At this's stage, you don't need to log in every two hours. There will likely be no change in your status until next week at the earliest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by obamtl
Sevenwonders, it's a glass half-full, half-empty situation. At this stage, most applicants that made it through to the FSAC have been rejected. The amber band is narrowed periodically, and only the final score is left to set now. Typically they set the amber band in such a way that they provide for the eventuality that most people waiting to write the FSAC pass, or most of them fail. Give or take, I'd probably guess that remaining in the amber band now suggests that you have a 50/50 chance, and you're not far off the final pass mark.

Another positive is that if you are capable of improving, being close this time (should you fail) means some improvement may get you through next time.

At this's stage, you don't need to log in every two hours. There will likely be no change in your status until next week at the earliest.

Reassuring words! (Though nothing on this earth would stop me checking as frequently as possible...)
Original post by obamtl

As if some people can go two hours!

I don't think I've been timed out yet that's how often I'm refreshing!!
Reply 1926
Still nothing. FSAC at the tail end of February. I expect I am borderline, primarily down to the one-to-one interview, which was a disaster (although not, in my opinion, because I failed to "perform", but rather that the questions were crap!).

I shall read my FSAC report with great interest either way.
Original post by HLS
Still nothing. FSAC at the tail end of February. I expect I am borderline, primarily down to the one-to-one interview, which was a disaster (although not, in my opinion, because I failed to "perform", but rather that the questions were crap!).

I shall read my FSAC report with great interest either way.

What stream are you waiting to hear for? My FSAC was beginning of March so I don't know what to think. Obviously didnt do well enough to be immediately successful, but did well enough to not be immediately unsuccessful so that's a good thing I suppose?!
Reply 1928
Original post by F6053721
What stream are you waiting to hear for? My FSAC was beginning of March so I don't know what to think. Obviously didnt do well enough to be immediately successful, but did well enough to not be immediately unsuccessful so that's a good thing I suppose?!

TiB. I expect the streams with fewer vacancies available are likely to be decided later on in the decision making progress because numerically it will be less clear early on who falls into the "definite pass" and "definite fail" categories.

There are comparatively few applicants:vacancies for TiB.
Original post by nadnad
Hi,

I had my assessment centre yesterday (NI stream) Just curious - how do you know there were only 5 places? I was told 20-30 - slightly depressed at the thought of only 5!

I had posted this link a few comments down from that post

http://www.nipsa.org.uk/Circulars/Civil-Service-Circulars/Recruitment-of-Direct-Entrants-at-Executive-Office

Someone else had posted it back in Nov, someone else was told there was only 4 places? Where did you hear the 20-30? Anything I have ever heard about it was always around the 4-5 mark but it would be great it if was 20-30!!
Original post by schick_88
I had posted this link a few comments down from that post

http://www.nipsa.org.uk/Circulars/Civil-Service-Circulars/Recruitment-of-Direct-Entrants-at-Executive-Office

Someone else had posted it back in Nov, someone else was told there was only 4 places? Where did you hear the 20-30? Anything I have ever heard about it was always around the 4-5 mark but it would be great it if was 20-30!!

it'll def not be 20-30. i know for a fact (through slightly inside means) that's it's 4 or 5 and definitely it wouldn't be more than six. The NICS is so tiny compared to most Uk departments.

man i really did wish we knew..
Original post by nadnad
Hi,

I had my assessment centre yesterday (NI stream) Just curious - how do you know there were only 5 places? I was told 20-30 - slightly depressed at the thought of only 5!

how do you think it went?
Original post by jonbar123
it'll def not be 20-30. i know for a fact (through slightly inside means) that's it's 4 or 5 and definitely it wouldn't be more than six. The NICS is so tiny compared to most Uk departments.

man i really did wish we knew..

I emailed them to see how many places there is likely to be and got this reply:

We anticipate that there will be about 5 places available this year.
Reply 1933
It just occurred to me that maybe I should get my hair cut ahead of my FSAC next Wednesday. Its due for a trim now anyway (a sort of NY's resolution of mine was to get it cut every month, and has been since Xmas), and I'd rather not get it cut short again as I'm finally happy with the length I've currently got it (just above the shoulder, well I suppose its resting on it actually...) and really don't want to fall back into getting it cut twice a year as I seesaw between fairly short and then unhappy with the mullet effect at the back as it grows longer...

Obviously I'll otherwise be suited and booted, although if the weather is like it has been this week I will most likely try to ditch my jacket as soon as possible and most likely tie as well.

I'm definitely not even going to attempt to put it into a pony tail. I've done that before and it's not a good look, I only ever attempt it now (it's not really long enough) if I'm doing some painting, drawing or sometimes gardening just to keep it out of my face if I can.

So, does anyone have any view on this? Specifically I suppose are there any other guys with long-ish hair that have got through, either yourself or friends?
Reply 1934
Did see some beatniks (lol) at my FSAC but do not know if they passed or not. Good luck!
Original post by schick_88
I emailed them to see how many places there is likely to be and got this reply:

cool - only realising that looking like i meant that i wished we really knew if there were 4 or 5 places but i really just mean i wish i knew if i was in or not... a week or so to go, it will will fly past!
Reply 1936
Original post by Evidza
Did see some beatniks (lol) at my FSAC but do not know if they passed or not. Good luck!

Acording to some drunk kids (19-22) in a bloody awful nightclub in Mansfield back in October I look like either jesus or John Lennon, although they kept on saying John Lemon, which I suspect might have been a result of the drunkenness...

Now I have to say that neither comparisons are accurate, I've got an authoritarian streak a mile wide for starters... :wink:
Reply 1937
I seem to be unable to find the guide to the Faststream thingy with all the competencies listed on it. Can anyone provide me with a link or instructions on how to get it? I'm sure I've got a printed copy laying around somewhere from my last FSAC back in '09 I think it was, but it would take quite a bit of digging to find it...
Reply 1938
Original post by Stomm
I seem to be unable to find the guide to the Faststream thingy with all the competencies listed on it. Can anyone provide me with a link or instructions on how to get it? I'm sure I've got a printed copy laying around somewhere from my last FSAC back in '09 I think it was, but it would take quite a bit of digging to find it...

Log into the Candidate web site, and it is listed under the "Maps and Forms" link - click this and then choose "Download forms" and you'll see it listed (it's the "FSAC Candidate Guide").

With regards to hair length, it shouldn't really make a difference so long as it looks smart, since the day is competency-based - but it may affect how people treat you in the interview and group task as people are people! I never had a problem applying for professional jobs back when I had long hair (I got it cut short just under a year ago before starting school teaching - after all, I'd had long hair for 18 years by then!).
Reply 1939
urgh. Just got my feedback report. My score was shockingly bad. Pretty awful! I did much worse on everything than I thought (or at least, everything that I thought had gone relatively OK). At least I will know what they are looking for if I decide to apply again though although I doubt there is much point, nobody improves that much.

Quick Reply

Latest