The Student Room Group

GCSE French. Coursework moderated down unfairly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Millyshyn
Hey.. as a lot of you I got my results today and I'm disputing whether my grade for french is fair.. I was fully expecting an A* because that's what I always got in my mocks without even trying.. My results are as follows
Unit 1 Tier H 56/60 UMS A*
Unit 2 Tier H 56/60 UMS A*
Unit 3 83/90 UMS A*
Unit 4 72/90 UMS A (writing)

Here is the important bit..
A lot of people at my school cheated in the writing coursework because the teachers didn't pay much attention while we were doing it. I memorised mine and did everything fairly and my teacher marked both my pieces of writing and gave them full marks (she had high standards as well).

I'm wondering if my result got moderated down because of the large amount of people who cheated (and therefore had ridiculously good grades for the writing where they were getting an A for it and D's and C's for all other units) and therefore I didn't get the correct grade?

Any suggestions? Should I ask for a remark? :frown:
I want to apply for Medicine so I'm really desperate to get this grade up.. any help would be appreciated

Well ... I wasn't exactly amazing at French and I wasn't expecting an A*, but the majority of people in my class cheated during the writing section which, i think means that they marked people down (everyone)

For the first mock test in Year 10 i got a D, then after that improved each time until i found myself getting comfortable B's. Soo overall after all the French exams I came out with a D. I'm not taking it for A Levels as im going to Year 13 and will already need to have a French GCSE in order to do it, but it is one of the only failed subjects that I can resit. Im just wondering if it is worth it ...
Hey people, i got A*s in modules 1,2 and 3 but got a B in module 4 (the writing cw) eventhough my teacher said I would get an A* which dragged me down to an A. This happened to loads of people in my year and we emailed our exams office and they said that if all the students who feel hard done by sign some form the school can get everyone's module 4 remarked. Our exam board was Edexcel btw.

Such a screw up from the boards, hope they resolve it cos it's unfair and damn annoying!
And yeah most people in my class cheated eventhough they would have got mainly A*s and As so i guess that's why they marked it down.
Reply 63
listening 48
reading 56
writing 80
speaking 75

got an A but would have got an A* if my writing didn't get moderated down.
Reply 64
btw i was edexcel and even my mate who is from spanish origin got an A even tho like many in our year we had been perfect at all except writing. Its utter bull sh**
Reply 65
Im so glad i found this thread i was so disappointed when i saw my french but is it just the writing people got marked down for because i felt my speaking went really well also and got 75/90 even though i thought it was possible A*. Anyone else found there speaking lower than expected?
Original post by Chucky
Im so glad i found this thread i was so disappointed when i saw my french but is it just the writing people got marked down for because i felt my speaking went really well also and got 75/90 even though i thought it was possible A*. Anyone else found there speaking lower than expected?

Yep. 269/300...270 for an A Star. Got 72 out of 90 in the oral which equates to 80%, which is 3% lower than my teacher's oral mark (50 out of 60) - who's actually quite harsh (in comparison with my school's other french teacher anyway).

I think they did so purposefully to prevent an overwhelming number of A Stars. Furthermore, after some calculations, I ascertained the raw mark I need to attain an A star to be just 0.4 - less than half a mark. AQA deliberately rounded my mark down to prevent me getting an A Star...at least I think so, maybe I'm just horribly paranoid but I genuinely think there is some collusive effort behind my suspect mark.

Anyway, I'm asking for a remark or possibly a resit. Seriously, 1 FRICKIN' MARK!:mad:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Yep. 269/300...270 for an A Star. Got 72 out of 90 in the oral which equates to 80%, which is 3% lower than my teacher's oral mark (50 out of 60) - who's actually quite harsh (in comparison with my school's other french teacher anyway).

I think they did so purposefully to prevent an overwhelming number of A Stars. Furthermore, after some calculations, I ascertained the raw mark I need to attain an A star to be just 0.4 - less than half a mark. AQA deliberately rounded my mark down to prevent me getting an A Star...at least I think so, maybe I'm just horribly paranoid but I genuinely think there is some collusive effort behind my suspect mark.

Anyway, I'm asking for a remark or possibly a resit. Seriously, 1 FRICKIN' MARK!:mad:

well im on edexcel and although i wasn't quite as good as you we also needed 270 for an a star (with me being on 261) however the writing was sent off with my teacher saying to me the lowest i would get (based on seeing previous years would be a medium to high a star) You can see this would annoy me when i lost about 6-7 marks which would have pushed me to around where you are then furthermore the speaking (which i thought was at least a star quality) only just got an A.

Same case with the whole year... and ICT
Original post by Chucky
well im on edexcel and although i wasn't quite as good as you we also needed 270 for an a star (with me being on 261) however the writing was sent off with my teacher saying to me the lowest i would get (based on seeing previous years would be a medium to high a star) You can see this would annoy me when i lost about 6-7 marks which would have pushed me to around where you are then furthermore the speaking (which i thought was at least a star quality) only just got an A.

Same case with the whole year... and ICT

That can be summed in one word.

I mean, I can understand mark variations of one or two, but 6-7 is just ridiculous; how can the mark scheme permit such latitude? I know it's just a GCSE but such a disparity in the marking completely undermines the sole purpose of external moderators: preserve fairness.

And I can began to empathise with English markers and Drama moderators because the Arts are subjective; French, on the other hand, is not.
Hi.
I'm with aqa and I got A* In all my units apart from unit 4 which I got a b for. Assuming that unit 4 is the writing I don't understand why this is the case when my teacher told me my submissions were A* grade. Sounds like something odd is going on here - especially as the majority of people I know are having a similar problem, despite the general opinion being that the writing was fairly easy and the hardest parts were the actual exams.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 70
Original post by Chucky

I found this aswell, my writing and speaking exams were both 72/90, and I expected to get an A* in both. I also found that comparatively in German I did much better (Edexcel aswell). I definitely felt that my german orals and writing assessments were worse than French (Obviously I can't be sure though, that's just my opinion) where I got full UMS marks in both. To make matters worse, I suspect my reading and listening exams were undermarked, especially my listening, where I got a C which I found out meant I would have had to lose about 20/40 marks, which I find hard to believe. I'm very annoyed because I was expecting an A* overall and I'm left with a very low A:angry: Definitely sending for a remark like several others in my school...
Reply 71
Original post by MiseryChick
Hi.
I'm with aqa and I got A* In all my units apart from unit 4 which I got a b for. Assuming that unit 4 is the writing I don't understand why this is the case when my teacher told me my submissions were A* grade. Sounds like something odd is going on here - especially as the majority of people I know are having a similar problem, despite the general opinion being that the writing was fairly easy and the hardest parts were the actual exams.

Exactly the same here! What was your overall score, mine was 269, 1 ums mark off an a*! And what exam board are you on?
So annoyed, I put so much effort into that writing piece and ended up with 71 which is a B. I am sure I should of got at least at A
If it's one mark off, then remark. No questions about it, it's not like you'll go down to a B.
Reply 73
Original post by Rose.1994
I got A* on both tests A* on speaking and originally an A*/A on writing but somehow a B now?!
SO SO SO UNFAIR OF THEM

But don't know how successful a remark will be? Although its only 1 mark we need

Original post by Alotties
I got Unit 4 marked down to a D and it pulled my whole grade down, I only just scraped a B because of it.

Original post by Davsters
Keep us updated. :smile: Chances are you'll get a scripted e-mail that doesn't answer the question but hey-ho.

Original post by Chucky
listening 48
reading 56
writing 80
speaking 75

got an A but would have got an A* if my writing didn't get moderated down.

Original post by knowledgecorruptz

Original post by MiseryChick
Hi.

Original post by Danatlive
What did you say in your email exactly and are you with AQA?

I got a reply guys. This is for AQA btw.

"Unfortunately, we can't issue results directly to students or parents, or answer individual enquiries. Your school or college are there to help with these queries; it is important for school or college staff to be aware of student/parent questions or concerns and for the answers given to take account of local factors or school policy."

So no help really. I explained the whole situation and clearly it wasn't an individual.

Hmmm what now. Guess we can send off for remarks.
Original post by Ears

"Unfortunately, we can't issue results directly to students or parents, or answer individual enquiries. Your school or college are there to help with these queries; it is important for school or college staff to be aware of student/parent questions or concerns and for the answers given to take account of local factors or school policy."

So no help really. I explained the whole situation and clearly it wasn't an individual.

I got a reply too.

'Thank you for your enquiry

Please speak to your exams officer at the school if you have a complaint. They will then make an enquiry for and your query can be resolved as soon as possible.'
Original post by Ears

Also, its annoying because my coursework modules arent going to be remarked and thats were I could pick up a mark essentially.
Reply 76
Original post by Danatlive
Also, its annoying because my coursework modules arent going to be remarked and thats were I could pick up a mark essentially.

Is it impossible for coursework to be remarked? Because I don't want the tests remarked :/
Reply 77
Teacher Marked Coursework cannot be indvidually remarked
If it was marked by your teacher, then the examiners asked for samples of the work from some of the students so they could check the marking
From this sample they have concluded your teachers have been too generous in their marks and so all students on your course will have had their mark reduced accordingly.
If your teachers believe the examiners have been unfair they can ask for the work to be checked (moderated) again by a senior examiner. You will need to talk to them about it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by gdunne42
Coursework cannot be indvidually remarked
It was marked by your teacher, then the examiners asked for samples of the work from some of the students so they could check the marking
From this sample they have concluded your teachers have been too generous in their marks and so all students on your course will have had their mark reduced accordingly.
If your teachers believe the examiners have been unfair they can ask for the work to be checked (moderated) again by a senior examiner. You will need to talk to them about it.

I will definitely be having a word with my teacher about it (although I don't think it's his fault). Pretty sure I can't really get a remark then, it would be pointless.
I was predicted an A* and told that my writing was excellent ,so shocked when my results came back as A*A*A* B giving me an A overall.I felt that the writing title was a bit ambiguous, did any other of you who had their writing downgraded write the celebrity question as if they were the celebrity( writing in first person),rather than writing about a known celebrity?..it's just a thought, either way I'm pretty mad and don't know whether to re-sit:angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending