The Student Room Group

Sociology is not a joke subject

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sam8472
I know right! shame not many other people see it kinda ruined by my mate looking like a monkey though :tongue:

as for angry not really I go to a good uni doing a degree that will enable me to do what I want with my life I just feel sorry for people who **** on others subject choices. . .

wow baby, i like a man who knows what he wants in life. Ill wear that monkey suit for you anytime any place! What else do you want to do in life, sexy?? ME??????:colone:
Original post by Stardust Mirage
That's what someone told me on this forum and they started going about how it's not a joke subject. I for saying sociology is a joke subject got negged is this because they try to comfort themselves by convincing themselves that it's not a joke subject. Find me a good uni that doesn't think sociology is a soft and joke subject. Face it no matter how hard you think it is doesn't change the fact that it's a joke subject.

Edinburgh :smile: Sociology was one of my A-levels and they accepted me, as did Exeter (as someone else as already mentioned), for a highly competitive course.

I've already said this on another thread but someone I know who studied Sociology both at A-level and at uni now works for the government in research. Not bad, eh?

Why does it bother you so much whether Sociology is or isn't a 'soft' subject? Move on, my friend, move on.
Reply 22
Original post by booooom
wow baby, i like a man who knows what he wants in life. Ill wear that monkey suit for you anytime any place! What else do you want to do in life, sexy?? ME??????:colone:

I dunno I think the gf might have a problem with it I'll ask her later if you can join in
Reply 23
Original post by aeterno
At A-level, potentially, although even then I wouldn't call it a joke subject.
At university, definitely not. It covers a lot of subject areas.

Then again, I assume you know nothing about the subject apart from a few things you've heard. Don't worry, not everyone's capable of thinking for themselves.

This, this, this, this and then this again
I had so much **** from people doing my A levels because I did sociology, psychology and philosophy. From the "I do all sciences and maths" types.

I love sociology, I love being able to explain the world around me, I think it's a great skill to have :smile: Although I plan to work as a psychologist, I will study sociology as part of my degree because I have so much love the subject, people who slag it off most of the time have no idea what the subject consists of!
Reply 25
My how the world has changed. 25 years ago it was so obvious to everyone that sociology was a joke subject that BT had no qualms about making a prime time TV ad on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAQotJ4Eng8
Reply 26
This is such a pointless and pathetic thread. Why did you post this? Why do you care? It certainly isn't a JOKE subject. It may be a slightly 'softer' subject than others but your choice of wording calling it a 'joke' is wrong because it has a purpose and a point unlike this thread. Why do you think so many Colleges offer it? It depends what you are interested in, what you enjoy learning about, what you want to go into in the future. E.g. Sociology can be very helpful for a career in Criminology. I hope you are starting to regret posting this stupid thread because you have received so many comments back that are against it and quite right to.
Reply 27
jk
Reply 28
Sociology haters have no clue.

I did it on an access course and since doing it I have learnt more about society, myself and my communities as well as other ethnicities et cetera.

Social sciences is fantastic and without we would probably all be peasants or slaves! Apart from the fat cats of course...
Reply 29
I'm studying Biology and English, notoriously difficult A-Levels, and Sociology is still the one I find most challenging

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending