The Student Room Group

Half pressing clutch when changing gear?

If the gear change feels smooth, is only half depressing the clutch doing my car any damage? I've caught myself doing this a lot recently.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
At the very least you'll be wearing the clutch out a little more.

The biggest problem I see when learners do it is that if they just don't press it enough then the gear lever is locked and they can't change. That leads to panic as the hazard approaches...

You're supposed to put it all the way down, so why not try and condition yourself to get in the good habit?

You won't do any serious damage, though wear and tear is likely to be a little greater.
Reply 2
Depends how the clutch cable is adjusted... don't see why you wouldn't just push it all the way down like you're meant to though.
Reply 3
I sometimes don't then it makes a horrible noise.
Reply 4
At the bottom of the clutch pedal's travel there should be some extra space where the clutch plates are fully disengaged and are simply being moved further apart. If you're in this space then it won't affect wear to the clutch at all and you can happily change gear or stop the vehicle. You just need to make sure you are far enough down - typically you'd need to depress the pedal more than half-way down to find this area, maybe around 2/3 but it varies between vehicles due to the level of clutch wear and also adjustment. You should be able to feel it.

If you aren't confident with the mechanics of what's going on, it's probably best to depress the pedal the whole way rather than risk excessive wear or badly messing up a gear change if you don't get it right.

HTH :smile:
Reply 5
If it changes gear then its fine. Hell, you can pretty easily change gear without using the clutch at all. Might be a bit more wear, but gearbox's are generally pretty good.
Reply 6
I did this on my last lesson and it felt so smooth and instructor said good, i may try this again.
As long as the gear disengages then that's fine, the only damage would come from you trying to put it into gear when the clutch isn't depressed enough, hence the grating and the screaming and the noise :smile:
Reply 8
cheers guys. I've actually been passed 2.5 years I just caught myself doing this lately, and it's cos I've got tiny legs and my clutch seems to go on forever- plain laziness!
move the seat closer then.........
Reply 10
Original post by Riderz
If it changes gear then its fine. Hell, you can pretty easily change gear without using the clutch at all. Might be a bit more wear, but gearbox's are generally pretty good.

I'm intrigued... how would you go about doing that?
Original post by Andylol

something to do with matching the revs
Original post by caseyhayes
If the gear change feels smooth, is only half depressing the clutch doing my car any damage? I've caught myself doing this a lot recently.

Just do it all the way down every time. Won't wear it out as much (every little helps). :tongue:
Original post by Riderz
...Hell, you can pretty easily change gear without using the clutch at all...

Original post by Andylol

Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
something to do with matching the revs

To change UP without clutch:
>Off throttle
>Gently push gearstick to neutral
>Gently push gearstick into next gear while letting revs drop from prev' level
>When engine speed & gearbox speed are about equal, the gearstick will slot into place.

To change down, its the same but accelerate slightly instead of letting the rev's drop.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by vmattei1989
To change UP without clutch:
>Off throttle
>Gently push gearstick to neutral
>Gently push gearstick into next gear while letting revs drop from prev' level
>When engine speed & gearbox speed are about equal, the gearstick will slot into place.

To change down, its the same but accelerate slightly instead of letting the rev's drop.

lol i know how its done :p:
Reply 15
move the seat closer then.........

Maybe she's like me...I pull the seat right up and I'm only just close enough. :mmm:
Original post by Cicerao
Maybe she's like me...I pull the seat right up and I'm only just close enough. :mmm:

lol how tall are you?
Reply 17
lol how tall are you?

5'1 1/2 or something along those lines. :h:
Drive an automatic........ problem solved :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by h4mza
I did this on my last lesson and it felt so smooth and instructor said good, i may try this again.

(takes out of context)

:sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest