The Student Room Group

Sitting for AS level maths

Do you require GCSE prior to apply for AS level subjects? I intend to apply for C! & C2 maths for my son this june, but he hasn't sit the gcse yet. He is on year 10 now and if he sits (privately)for GCSE then it would be next year for AS maths which would come up with his GCSE at school.
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by lvaru
Do you require GCSE prior to apply for AS level subjects? I intend to apply for C! & C2 maths for my son this june, but he hasn't sit the gcse yet. He is on year 10 now and if he sits (privately)for GCSE then it would be next year for AS maths which would come up with his GCSE at school.
thanks

There is no requirement from the examiners to have GCSE before you are allowed sit AS units privately.
I'm really not sure though what possible advantage can come from sitting AS units so early, particularly in conflict with GCSE exams. Keep in mind that some of the most prestigous UK universities look unfavourably on A levels spread over more than two years and also on students who have to resit due to taking units early.
Reply 2
Like gdunne42 stated, a lot of universities only like to look at A-Levels taking in a two-year period, and some don't even like resits.

I don't think it's a prerequisite to sit GCSE maths first but it can help a lot on the basics in C1 and then following on into C2 and so might be more helpful to do after his GCSE maths, and then he won't have to have the stress of two more exams on top.
Reply 3
thanks; the reason I thought was that he is very good on maths and willing to learn something more. what about doing the additional maths on gcse?
Reply 4
Original post by lvaru
thanks; the reason I thought was that he is very good on maths and willing to learn something more. what about doing the additional maths on gcse?

A lot of UK GCSE students take:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/type/fsmq/maths/add_maths/documents/index.html

This will offer extra challenge, reinforce some A/A* GCSE topics and introduce some of the content that will be covered in AS maths the following year. Check with his teachers to see if he could take the exams at his school or at another school in your area.

This text book covers the required material very well
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Additional-Mathematics-for-OCR-Val-Hanrahan/9780340869604

You don't say where you are but I've heard that a small number of international students have been taking this new IGCSE:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/igcse09/maths/mathsC/Pages/default.aspx

Again it is designed to offer extra challenge and some preparation for A level.

This textbook is designed for the course.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Edexcel-IGCSE-Further-Pure-Mathematics-Student-Greg-Attwood/9780435044145

There are other qualifications for able maths students that I am sure his teacher could advise on.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you for the help on my previous occation. He sat the ocr additional maths and got an A.
Now on of my friend's son decided to sit the IGCSE Further maths while he is on year 10. Would he be in any disadvantage situation if he needs to resit again for better grade?
Reply 6
Just a quick note to say that if you want an AS level in maths, he will need c1,c2 and an option module to complete the grade. Im not sure how much research you have done or if you have a specific board in mind, but most (if not all) offer Statistics 1, Mechanics 1 and Decision 1 which would be the ones to look at. If however, you are looking to improve his maths and not so worried about getting a formal qualification, he can always do c1 & 2 next year and then do an option module when he starts college, provided the college are on the same board this would be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by lvaru
Thank you for the help on my previous occation. He sat the ocr additional maths and got an A.
Now on of my friend's son decided to sit the IGCSE Further maths while he is on year 10. Would he be in any disadvantage situation if he needs to resit again for better grade?

At GCSE level, he probably wouldn't be disadvantaged as at GCSE the resits are not normally recorded. The latest result or 'best overall' depending on exam board gets printed on separate certificates. It is only at A Level or equivalent where resits become a problem as you need to declare all sittings of exams on the UCAS website in order to apply to university and the university can view all unit results and resits.

Quick Reply

Latest