The Student Room Group

Is there any point in doing this?

Got CCCD for AS levels, obviously dropping the D one, retaking the rest in Jan, but in terms of applying to universities in September would somewhere who wanted say ABB consider me?

Is it worth applying for 3 ABB unis and only 2 'my standard' ones? Or is that just too risky?

Thanks
Usually (not always) but usually your teachers will predict you 1 grade higher than what you got in AS, meaning you would get predicted BBB, however, if you were particularly close to B's in any of your C's, then you could maybe have a talk with your teacher and tell them this situation. I do think it is a good idea to rethink the retakes though, A-Level is a hell of a lot more work than AS and assuming you have more modules in January, you might want to concentrate on those instead of re-sitting the AS ones. Also, having a couple of 'back-up' universities is a good idea, in case something goes wrong. Well done on your grades though :smile: x
Reply 2
Original post by SpecialApple
Usually (not always) but usually your teachers will predict you 1 grade higher than what you got in AS, meaning you would get predicted BBB, however, if you were particularly close to B's in any of your C's, then you could maybe have a talk with your teacher and tell them this situation. I do think it is a good idea to rethink the retakes though, A-Level is a hell of a lot more work than AS and assuming you have more modules in January, you might want to concentrate on those instead of re-sitting the AS ones. Also, having a couple of 'back-up' universities is a good idea, in case something goes wrong. Well done on your grades though :smile: x

Yes i am hoping that will the case however that means i shall still be one grade off the 'ABB' offer.. would they even consider my application? Yeah, no they were pretty low Cs... and yeah but i well i really need to up the grades, and yes defo going to have some back-up unis, just don't know how many 'aspirational' ones i should put down really :/

And thanks.... not the best set of grade though.. and thanks for being the only one to reply! haha
Original post by diesha
Yes i am hoping that will the case however that means i shall still be one grade off the 'ABB' offer.. would they even consider my application? Yeah, no they were pretty low Cs... and yeah but i well i really need to up the grades, and yes defo going to have some back-up unis, just don't know how many 'aspirational' ones i should put down really :/

And thanks.... not the best set of grade though.. and thanks for being the only one to reply! haha

What I'm doing is i'm having one 'aspirational' university, two/three unis which If i kept working hard then I should get into to and then one/two that are quite low so If something goes really wrong then I'll still be able to go to uni :smile: and They'll still consider you, just make sure your personal statement is really really good!
Reply 4
What I'm doing is i'm having one 'aspirational' university, two/three unis which If i kept working hard then I should get into to and then one/two that are quite low so If something goes really wrong then I'll still be able to go to uni :smile: and They'll still consider you, just make sure your personal statement is really really good!

That sounds like a good plan yes! :smile:
So how did your AS results go?
Which are your 5 uni choices?
What do you wana do at uni?
Reply 5

I think I'm gonna do that now I was going to do one "aspirational" uni and 4 average Uni's which require something like BBB/ 300/320 points but might reconsider that now

EDIT: to OP I think you should try but make sure your PS and review thing your tutor writes is really really good (soz 4got name)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by diesha
That sounds like a good plan yes! :smile:
So how did your AS results go?
Which are your 5 uni choices?
What do you wana do at uni?

I got CDDE which is good for me because I'm not clever whatsoever so my hard work paid off :P plus I do really hard subject haha :smile:
And at the moment my choices are Dundee, Aberystwyth, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Hull for Geography :smile:
Reply 7
[QUOTE="POWW!;33914011"]I think I'm gonna do that now I was going to do one "aspirational" uni and 4 average Uni's which require something like BBB/ 300/320 points but might reconsider that now

EDIT: to OP I think you should try but make sure your PS and review thing your tutor writes is really really good (soz 4got name)[/QUOTE

Ahh yes the reference, hope that all works, but then it always seems like grades are the biggy! :frown:
Reply 8
I got CDDE which is good for me because I'm not clever whatsoever so my hard work paid off :P plus I do really hard subject haha :smile:
And at the moment my choices are Dundee, Aberystwyth, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Hull for Geography :smile:

Awh well done! What subjects did you do?

And ahhhhhhh I wana do Geography too! Wanted to go Sheffield to do it but well I dont think that will be happening! Haha, but yeah thats a goos choice of unis!
Reply 9
I'm in the same situation as you!! I got BBDD at AS level in German, English Language, Economics and Maths respectively. (I dropped maths and carried on with the other three which are BBD) I'm hoping to apply to unis that are ABC but I don't know whether i'll be predicted the grades! I'm definitely predicted a B in english and a C in Economics, now it's just whether or not i'll be predicted an A in german - that's the only one i've not asked about yet! but my college don't really tend to predict you one higher (the only reason my D was predicted a C is because i was just 6 UMS off) but I think even if I am predicted BBC then I'm still going to apply to the uni which requires ABC (Leeds) as a risky choice! then I'm applying to Manchester which is ABB-BBC, Reading which is BBC, Hull which is BCC and one other with lower entry requirements! I'd say go for it though! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
You will probably still get the offer since, if you meet the offer, you're worthy, right? At least I think this is the mindset at most, but not at the super-competitive unis. My friend got CCCE at AS and got an offer of ABC, and met it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11

I'm also applying to Hull (if I like the look of it at the open day) Have you been to an open day yet? :smile: What're the entry requirements for geography?
Original post by JakeE10
I'm also applying to Hull (if I like the look of it at the open day) Have you been to an open day yet? :smile: What're the entry requirements for geography?

Yeah I've been to one (I live about 20 mins from Hull you see haha) and I'm going to the one on the 8th of october :smile: and usually they offer anything between 260-320 points :biggrin: Are you going on the 8th october?
Reply 13
Yeah I've been to one (I live about 20 mins from Hull you see haha) and I'm going to the one on the 8th of october :smile: and usually they offer anything between 260-320 points :biggrin: Are you going on the 8th october?

ah cool!! so you'll know what the place is like in general? as i've been told that Hull isn't that nice of a place off many people. is this true? Yeah I'm going on the 8th! :smile:
Original post by JakeE10
ah cool!! so you'll know what the place is like in general? as i've been told that Hull isn't that nice of a place off many people. is this true? Yeah I'm going on the 8th! :smile:

Yeahh!! and IGNORE IT, yes it has its grotty places like Bransholme and sutton fields BUT the university is in a really really nice place, and theres tons of bars/clubs near ish especially down newland and princes avenue which isn't far from the uni at all :smile: and yay!! you going to the geography talk??
Reply 15
Yeahh!! and IGNORE IT, yes it has its grotty places like Bransholme and sutton fields BUT the university is in a really really nice place, and theres tons of bars/clubs near ish especially down newland and princes avenue which isn't far from the uni at all :smile: and yay!! you going to the geography talk??

ah right ok!! I think i'll see for myself anyway when I go to the open day! I've never been before because I live about 2 hours away from Hull - I think! (manchester) but I'm sure it's not as bad as people say! I'm going to check out German and Business! :smile: where else are you applying?
Original post by JakeE10
ah right ok!! I think i'll see for myself anyway when I go to the open day! I've never been before because I live about 2 hours away from Hull - I think! (manchester) but I'm sure it's not as bad as people say! I'm going to check out German and Business! :smile: where else are you applying?

Its nice, trust me :smile: and hull (obviously) dundee, aberystwyth, sheffield hallam and nottingham trent :smile: you??
Reply 17
Cool! I was thinking of sheffield hallam but they don't offer German single honours :/

And I'm applying for German at MAYBE Leeds(ABC) - depends on my predicted grades, Manchester(ABB-BBC), Reading (BBC), Hull (260 points) and 1 other with quite low entry requirements, around 240-260 points. Fortunately for me the entry requirements for languages tend to be lower on the whole, so that's the only reason I can apply to the likes of Manchester, Leeds etc! :tongue:
What are the entry requirements at all of yours?! :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
Cool! I was thinking of sheffield hallam but they don't offer German single honours :/

And I'm applying for German at MAYBE Leeds(ABC) - depends on my predicted grades, Manchester(ABB-BBC), Reading (BBC), Hull (260 points) and 1 other with quite low entry requirements, around 240-260 points. Fortunately for me the entry requirements for languages tend to be lower on the whole, so that's the only reason I can apply to the likes of Manchester, Leeds etc! :tongue:
What are the entry requirements at all of yours?! :biggrin:

You applying for geography and german or are you deciding nearer the time? and Hull is 260-320, dundee is BCC (my first choice i love it!) aber and sheffield hallam are 300pts but they accept general studies so thats okay :smile: and nottingham trent is 240 so will probs be my insurance :smile: x
Reply 19
You applying for geography and german or are you deciding nearer the time? and Hull is 260-320, dundee is BCC (my first choice i love it!) aber and sheffield hallam are 300pts but they accept general studies so thats okay :smile: and nottingham trent is 240 so will probs be my insurance :smile: x

Cool! My mum's from Dundee :tongue: lol. But I don't think i'd move that far away!! haha.
I've heard it's a good uni though. :smile: What do you mean, they accept Gen studies as well as your 3 main A levels?! :smile:x

Quick Reply

Latest