Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickiesal)
    It's actually easier for me to afford to live in London for uni than anywhere else because of the higher loans and very generous bursaries from the uni, something to think about.

Do any of you go to king eds stourbridge, because a few of you have said brum uni is too close and you do geology a level?
    I go to King Eds! Don't go Geology as an A Level though. A few of my friends that have done it say it's really good though, cant wait to start studying it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    I go to King Eds! Don't go Geology as an A Level though. A few of my friends that have done it say it's really good though, cant wait to start studying it
    Wahey, literally loved it there, sad to be leaving which school did you go to before? What are you studying? Geology A level was the best, just for the banter haha.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilliehear)
    Thank you!!! Your very good at selling it I might look into it then, but it does worry me that loads of people have never even heard of it, doesnt bode that well for employers. But it still sounds really good, and i like the environmental aspect.
    Trust me, employers will have heard of UEA. So dont you worry about that.

Loads of people (me included before I applied!) have never heard of the likes of Imperial College and UCL, but they're certainly not rubbish and are well regarded by employers! Often people who have not started looking at universities or have no interest in academia will not have heard of various good universities (usually the universities not named after the city), but people involved in academia and employers certainly will.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wahey, literally loved it there, sad to be leaving which school did you go to before? What are you studying? Geology A level was the best, just for the banter haha.
    Aha I went to Summerhill in Kingswinford, yourself?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths! What did you take? Ian Gameson is a legend!!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths!
    A good combination for Geology!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Aha I went to Summerhill in Kingswinford, yourself?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths! What did you take? Ian Gameson is a legend!!
    Ah the summerhillers, there's always loads of you haha and I took maths, geology and accounts, oh and graphics just to AS. I've heard the biology and chem teachers are a bit strict and weird LOL :/ Who is Ian Gameson, I recognise his name but don't know who he is haha. Who do you have for maths?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah the summerhillers, there's always loads of you haha and I took maths, geology and accounts, oh and graphics just to AS. I've heard the biology and chem teachers are a bit strict and weird LOL :/ Who is Ian Gameson, I recognise his name but don't know who he is haha. Who do you have for maths?
    Haha yeah, do you know many people from Summerhill in your year? Which school did you go to?
    I was going to take graphics but I chose product design instead, worst decision ever...the neverending coursework :nooo: Should have taken Spanish which was what I chose originally, did P.D because my mate did it and it seemed interesting. I've heard bad things about graphics too, most the people I know that took it hated it haha.
    I couldn't ask for nicer Bio and Chem teachers tbh, I've been very lucky. Both my bio teachers are lovely and chemistry is a right laugh! Ian is the funniest Chem teacher you will ever come across, surprised you don't know him :awesome:
    Mathsm :sigh: I try not to think about it too much, I had Marco and Tom. Marco is hands down the worst teacher I have ever come across, how he got into King Eds I don't know! Tom is a good teacher, but his lessons can be dull.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    The best combination for Geology! Perfect.
    Just hope I do well in them now! Aiming for A*A*A* :ninja:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just hope I do well in them now! Aiming for A*A*A* :ninja:
    Yes and good for you. It's good to aim for the best!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    im also applying for geology at uni this coming year. applying to:

Cambridge
    Durham
    Bristol
    Edinburgh
    Leeds

got 9 A*s and an A at GCSE, and the got 4 A's at AS studying Geography (100%) Geology (94%) Chemistry (82%) and maths (84% mechanics dragged me down about 6%!! haha). Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?

And has anyone got any ideas for geology related work experience?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!! Your very good at selling it I might look into it then, but it does worry me that loads of people have never even heard of it, doesnt bode that well for employers. But it still sounds really good, and i like the environmental aspect.
    haha you're welcome Trust me they would have heard of it, especially if you're looking to go into the field. Plus the sandwich year will help with future jobs anyway. If you're interested, I'd seriously suggest you look into one of their open days just to see for yourself. And hey if you go to one after Sept, I could use my selling techniques in person
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah, do you know many people from Summerhill in your year? Which school did you go to?
    I was going to take graphics but I chose product design instead, worst decision ever...the neverending coursework :nooo: Should have taken Spanish which was what I chose originally, did P.D because my mate did it and it seemed interesting. I've heard bad things about graphics too, most the people I know that took it hated it haha.
    I couldn't ask for nicer Bio and Chem teachers tbh, I've been very lucky. Both my bio teachers are lovely and chemistry is a right laugh! Ian is the funniest Chem teacher you will ever come across, surprised you don't know him :awesome:
    Mathsm :sigh: I try not to think about it too much, I had Marco and Tom. Marco is hands down the worst teacher I have ever come across, how he got into King Eds I don't know! Tom is a good teacher, but his lessons can be dull.
    Yeah I know quite a lot of them because in every class there is bound to be someone from summerhill haha and I came king charles in kidderminster if you've heard of it, most people from k'ford way have never heard of kiddy anyway let alone kingy.
    I've heard the p.d teacher is horrible haha, everyone always moans about him. Graphics was rubbish, I wanted to do graphic design at uni until I realised I could not work the computer programs LMAO. The graphics teachers are the most annoying people ever, me and my friend you to walk into different rooms when they got close in order to avoid them and their invalid opinions :P and 1/2 hour long pointless talks haha. Sounds like you were very lucky with chem and bio teachers then. I don't know who marco is, what does he look like? or is he a new one? and is tom the older guy? I don't know these people haha i had nev and carol in the first year and then nev and stu, nev is the head of maths and ALWAYS wears red jumpers haha what a legend.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know quite a lot of them because in every class there is bound to be someone from summerhill haha and I came king charles in kidderminster if you've heard of it, most people from k'ford way have never heard of kiddy anyway let alone kingy.
    I've heard the p.d teacher is horrible haha, everyone always moans about him. Graphics was rubbish, I wanted to do graphic design at uni until I realised I could not work the computer programs LMAO. The graphics teachers are the most annoying people ever, me and my friend you to walk into different rooms when they got close in order to avoid them and their invalid opinions :P and 1/2 hour long pointless talks haha. Sounds like you were very lucky with chem and bio teachers then. I don't know who marco is, what does he look like? or is he a new one? and is tom the older guy? I don't know these people haha i had nev and carol in the first year and then nev and stu, nev is the head of maths and ALWAYS wears red jumpers haha what a legend.
    Marco is the new guy, 'half italian half black country', he used to be a rocket scientist :teeth:
    Yeh Tom is the old guy, P.D teachers were both awful. I couldn't wait to drop it, Allison never had a clue what she was talking about and Jan was just a bit of a tool.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Marco is the new guy, 'half italian half black country', he used to be a rocket scientist :teeth:
    Yeh Tom is the old guy, P.D teachers were both awful. I couldn't wait to drop it, Allison never had a clue what she was talking about and Jan was just a bit of a tool.
    Ahh we had to be guinea pigs for the people who got interviewed for the new maths teacher, they had to teach us for like 20 mins on some c4 revision stuff. The first woman was good and gave us sweets :cool: haha and the next guy was really weird and had this really posh accent and it was just cringey basically haha, but neither of them got the job haha. Yes jan is the one they were always moaning about cause I think he teaches physics aswell
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredholt56)
    im also applying for geology at uni this coming year. applying to:

Cambridge
    Durham
    Bristol
    Edinburgh
    Leeds

got 9 A*s and an A at GCSE, and the got 4 A's at AS studying Geography (100%) Geology (94%) Chemistry (82%) and maths (84% mechanics dragged me down about 6%!! haha). Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?

And has anyone got any ideas for geology related work experience?!
    :shock: I think you'll be fine, your grades are pretty amazing, and tbh earth science isn't the most competitive subject. As long as your interview goes alright, and your personal statement shows passion i'm sure you'll get an offer
    As for work experience, see if there's a local museum you could try, or maybe national trust place, or woodland trust? I've done it with a local earth heritage charity - so maybe you could try that? Or you could try a local university department?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone take geophysics? I'm really tempted by it now, though apparently it involves ALOT of maths which i'm unsure about. And any idea what people do instead of a mapping project ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone take geophysics? I'm really tempted by it now, though apparently it involves ALOT of maths which i'm unsure about. And any idea what people do instead of a mapping project ?
    I'm interested in Geophysics, apparently its harder than Geology and yeah it does have a lot of maths.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredholt56)
    Do you guys think i have any chance at cambridge even though my maths and chem are way down?
    They like to see 90%+ in your 3 most relevent AS levels (I think you'll be applying for NatSci?). Your 100% brings up your average to 93.something but I don't know if that would make up for not having 3 at 90%+. You could always email some admissions people and see what they say. But anyway I would say it's probs still worth applying.

BTW i know nothing about geology, i just stumbled upon this thread accidentally
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in Geophysics, apparently its harder than Geology and yeah it does have a lot of maths.
    Well i was talking to some geophysics students at southampton today, and apparently they do 8 modules over the 1st year, 4 are geology (they miss out fossils and stuff like that i think), 2 maths and 2 physics - so your kinda all over the place lecture wise, but i'm not sure if this is true everywhere. It still looks really interesting though, just depends on how hard the maths is - the girl i was talking to said she didnt take further maths or anything and she copes, you just might need to put more work in.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgarrud)
    They like to see 90%+ in your 3 most relevent AS levels (I think you'll be applying for NatSci?). Your 100% brings up your average to 93.something but I don't know if that would make up for not having 3 at 90%+. You could always email some admissions people and see what they say. But anyway I would say it's probs still worth applying.

BTW i know nothing about geology, i just stumbled upon this thread accidentally
    Do you know much about Oxford, I did okay at AS, not brilliant. Most of my grades were around the 80% mark. Would they consider me for an interview if I'm predicted A*AA? At GCSE I had 6A*'s, 5A's, 1B

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.