The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by lukas1051
ABB can get you onto quite a few good courses, I received a ABB offer from Birmingham and they seemed really good, I believe Liverpool and Royal Holloway, and perhaps even Edinburgh (some other places I considered) ask for ABB as well. I think UEA do too - they have a really good reputation for earth science and especially climate science (well, if you ignore the climategate scandal which was a smear campaign anyway). If the thing that has been affecting you if serious enough to be considered extenuating circumstances you might even be able to get onto some better courses. I've heard lots of good things about Exeter though.

I personally would wait until you receive your AS results before making these decisions (although obviously it's good to look now), see where you stand in regards to courses you can realistically get on to. Your GCSE grades are very good, so you're clearly quite an intelligent person. :smile:

thanks :smile: I am dreading what I'll get in august :s-smilie:

anyways, thanks for the advice everyone :smile:
So guys I've narrowed it down to Bristol and Southampton, both doing 4 year course with a year abroad.

I think Bristol as a city is much nicer and the year abroad has much more choice in the locations you can go (Unis all over america as opposed to just Penn State as Southampton). It also has a better reputation overall from what I've heard.

However, I thought the geology department at Southampton was better than Bristol, the facilities looked a lot better.

Any opinions?
I cant speak about Southampton but living in Bristol and knowing a few people at Bristol uni I can say the teaching standard at Bristol is excellent and the city itself, as far as amenities and social life are concerned, is top notch - the only downside to Bristol I can see is public transport is very expensive:smile:
What would you guys think would be better for employability in the future, BSc Geology at Derby university or BSc Geological Hazards at Portsmouth. I know that Derby isn't ranked very highly for geology but other than Portsmouth I haven't found anywhere else that offers a Geological Hazards programme to compare it with
Original post by heymynameisben
So guys I've narrowed it down to Bristol and Southampton, both doing 4 year course with a year abroad.

I think Bristol as a city is much nicer and the year abroad has much more choice in the locations you can go (Unis all over america as opposed to just Penn State as Southampton). It also has a better reputation overall from what I've heard.

However, I thought the geology department at Southampton was better than Bristol, the facilities looked a lot better.

Any opinions?

I didn't like Bristol at all for geology, the department in my opinion cannot be compared to the NOC Southampton. Southampton has a lot of links with oil industries, so no need to worry about rep. In my opinion of the 6 I visited Bristol was the least friendly, it's like they didn't need to sell it to you because of their rep as a university as a whole, just my opinion though :smile: Go with Southampton, can't go wrong. Btw my name is Ben too haha
Original post by rjwillshear
What would you guys think would be better for employability in the future, BSc Geology at Derby university or BSc Geological Hazards at Portsmouth. I know that Derby isn't ranked very highly for geology but other than Portsmouth I haven't found anywhere else that offers a Geological Hazards programme to compare it with

By looking at a course that is so specific you are limiting your employment prospects before you even start. You are best off going with a straight up geology degree, hazards will be part of any accredited course. With a straight up geology degree you will have a wider angle of scope for what uni to choose from. Because geology isn't an extremely competitive course you can afford to aim high in your choosing :smile:
Reply 906
Anyone applying to Manchester? Doing Earth science MSci likeeeeee? Wondering what the job prospect stuffs like after the degree's all done and dusted? And anyone recommend any books I'd need to read up on before I start the course? :smile:
Reply 907
So I finally had the guts to firm Imperial, anyone else out there? :tongue:
in reply to biffmanz:
Yeah Buddy! What's your insurance offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Biffmanz

Yup I've firmed it too :smile:
Original post by Biffmanz

Original post by carsonator

Yeah Buddy!

:ditto:
Reply 911
Original post by carsonator
in reply to biffmanz:
Yeah Buddy! What's your insurance offer?

Bristol, they want AAB! I was quite close to firming them, Bristol is a great university in a great city but Imperial's course won out in the end! I'm a bit apprehensive about the perceived lack of social life and the maleness, but I'm sure it'll be fine if I actually make an effort haha

Original post by Callitoff
:ditto:

We've got a bit of a crew going on! :wink:
Hey all! Hope everyone is well :biggrin: Just curious to see if there are any Southampton Firms out there! Lol I know a few of you said you have it as an insurance, but anyone out there wanting/placed it as their first choice? Take care all, have a good day :smile: x
I was surprised at Bristol asking for AAB too, since on UCAS it said A*AA for Earth Sciences, but I guess it's nothing to complain about. It just means I don't get to put Edinburgh [offer AAA] as my insurance, I put Royal Holloway instead :/

ChloeGemma I have a friend that has put Southampton as their firm for Environmental Science :smile:

Biffmanz what was it about Imperial's course that made you choose it over Bristol? My boyfriend picked Bristol over Imperial after much consideration so what was it that stuck out for you?
Reply 914
Original post by ChloeGemma
Hey all! Hope everyone is well :biggrin: Just curious to see if there are any Southampton Firms out there! Lol I know a few of you said you have it as an insurance, but anyone out there wanting/placed it as their first choice? Take care all, have a good day :smile: x

Ive firmed Southampton :smile:
Reply 915
Original post by ChloeGemma

Original post by oort
Ive firmed Southampton :smile:

Me too :smile: Firmed the MGeol at Southampton and Insured Durham (i'm a southerner at heart :P) Have either of you applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 916
Original post by stobyw
Me too :smile: Firmed the MGeol at Southampton and Insured Durham (i'm a southerner at heart :P) Have either of you applied for accommodation yet?

I applied for mine the second it opened but there was a glinch in the system so had to reapply around a month ago xD. Have you applied yet?
Reply 917
Original post by oort
I applied for mine the second it opened but there was a glinch in the system so had to reapply around a month ago xD. Have you applied yet?

Yeah I only got round to applying last weekend. Applied to pretty much all the cheapest options of Wessex Lane so I have more money for other things :smile:. I'm lucky that my sister went to Southampton Uni, so I know the really basic accommodation isn't actually that bad. How about you, where'd you choose?
Reply 918
Original post by stobyw
Yeah I only got round to applying last weekend. Applied to pretty much all the cheapest options of Wessex Lane so I have more money for other things :smile:. I'm lucky that my sister went to Southampton Uni, so I know the really basic accommodation isn't actually that bad. How about you, where'd you choose?

I really liked Glen Eyre when i went on an open day so applied there and Wessex Lane aswell :smile: Im really lucky as my parents said theyd pay for accommodation so went for ensuites and the bigger rooms aha xD
Reply 919
Original post by oort
I really liked Glen Eyre when i went on an open day so applied there and Wessex Lane aswell :smile: Im really lucky as my parents said theyd pay for accommodation so went for ensuites and the bigger rooms aha xD

Ah that's lucky!! Thh I think my parents are doing the same, but as my sister only had a standard room, it's kinda only fair I have the same. I actually have no idea what Glen Eyre is like as i've only seen Wessex, but it seems they both have their advantages and disadvantages from what i've read.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending