The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys!

Good to see there's so much enthusiasm for Earth Sciences :smile: I'm a 4th year earth scientist at Oxford - I've skim read the thread, but if you have any questions I'll be happy to help!
Reply 101
Original post by southernlight
Hi guys!

Good to see there's so much enthusiasm for Earth Sciences :smile: I'm a 4th year earth scientist at Oxford - I've skim read the thread, but if you have any questions I'll be happy to help!

Hi! Whats the course like at Oxford, is it very intense being stuck working all the time? Are classes enjoyable, what are the professors like? And what are field trips like, best one you've been to?

Any advice for someone looking to apply to Oxford for Earth Science? PS help? Also, what options to the uni offer to you after completing the degree if you were looking for a job? Not necessarily in mining/oil industry but say going into something like Investment Banking.

Do you mind me asking what your grades were when you got in? GCSE and A Level?
Reply 102
Original post by lukas1051
I doubt they'd reject you without an interview, Earth Science interviews 95% of candidates, so I imagine the only people they reject straight away are people with absolutely no chance (and I imagine there are people who apply with the completely wrong A-levels or grades). As Zotulla said, lots of teachers don't like predicting A* anyway because it's new, and confusing, and you can't get it at AS (many teachers base it on your AS grades). I think it's definitely worth applying, there's not really anything to lose.

There's no admissions test for Earth Sciences is there?
Reply 103
Original post by hash007
There's no admissions test for Earth Sciences is there?

Nope - http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/how_to_apply/tests/

Scroll down and it says that there is no written test for this course.

I think my friend who had an interview there said there was a small maths test in the interview though.
Original post by hash007
Hi! Whats the course like at Oxford, is it very intense being stuck working all the time? Are classes enjoyable, what are the professors like? And what are field trips like, best one you've been to?

Any advice for someone looking to apply to Oxford for Earth Science? PS help? Also, what options to the uni offer to you after completing the degree if you were looking for a job? Not necessarily in mining/oil industry but say going into something like Investment Banking.

Do you mind me asking what your grades were when you got in? GCSE and A Level?

I absolutely love it there - yes there's a lot of work, but due to the small class size, the Earth Sciences department is really well integrated and there's quite a lot of social events too! As with any uni you sometimes get great lecturers, sometimes more boring ones.... as I get to be more selective with my options I'm enjoying a higher percentage of the lectures - but then that's probably also because it's the content I enjoy more!

Field trips are great fun, partially for the year bonding! I think they've changed slightly for the lower years, since I'm in the last year of the old course. I suspect the field trip I'm going on in two weeks time will be the best one... I'm off to Bermuda!

Make sure you're strong on your maths and sciences, but if you have a passion for the subject and you can logically think your way through a problem set to you then you should be fine. The most important thing is the way you get to the answer, so make sure you explain your answer, even if it seems blindingly obvious to you.

Quite a few people go into the mining and oil industry, and I would expect a few as well to go into city. The majority tend to go into PhD, especially in the current job market...

At GCSE I got 8A* and 1 A, and at A-level I got AAAa (before the A* grade!) in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Geography (to AS).

With regard to the friend who got given a small maths test at interview - that's at Exeter College (my college), simply because the tutor wants her students to be very strong on maths.
Guys, this book is the bible for geology students and people interested in mining - I was given a copy when I already have one so it's for sale on Amazon - at about £20 cheaper than you'll find it elsewhere. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/095468933X
Hi guys,
Keeping an eye on this post, i'm applying to Oxford, Southampton, Imperial, Exeter and thinking UAE.
Have just goen from 5AS to 3A levels and am loving the amount of work I can now do on each individual subject - I am someone that hates not knowing things inside out and back to front. Hopefully will get the grades I really want! :smile:
Reply 107
Hey everyone,

Applying to Oxford, Imperial, Liverpool, Birmingham (with international year) and one other that I'm really not sure about. I'd like to apply to one more that is close to where I live (in the North West) but it seems all the best courses are down south or on the East coast :smile:

At AS i got 3A's and a B but the B is not 100% confirmed yet as I got my GEOG1 paper remarked and went from a C to an A (brilliant marking :rolleyes:) so im waiting to see if i get something similar from GEOG2 as i only need 1 more mark for an A. I took Maths Further Maths Chemistry and Geography and am carrying all four on to this year. Anyone got any tips on my 5th choice? :smile:
Reply 108
Original post by Chasm
Hey everyone,

Applying to Oxford, Imperial, Liverpool, Birmingham (with international year) and one other that I'm really not sure about. I'd like to apply to one more that is close to where I live (in the North West) but it seems all the best courses are down south or on the East coast :smile:

At AS i got 3A's and a B but the B is not 100% confirmed yet as I got my GEOG1 paper remarked and went from a C to an A (brilliant marking :rolleyes:) so im waiting to see if i get something similar from GEOG2 as i only need 1 more mark for an A. I took Maths Further Maths Chemistry and Geography and am carrying all four on to this year. Anyone got any tips on my 5th choice? :smile:

Durham?

Anyone been to Bristol/Southampton. Think I may change UCL to one of those for my choices, or maybe to Edinburgh
(edited 12 years ago)
I have been to Southampton, really like it personally - might be due to the fact that I am particularly interested in oceanography and they have the National Oceanography centre there which is brilliant.
Reply 110
Original post by hash007
Durham?

Anyone been to Bristol/Southampton. Think I may change UCL to one of those for my choices, or maybe to Edinburgh

Yeah I've been thinking about Durham but a friend has just come back from Bristol saying how nice the city is so i might change to there. The offer is fairly reasonable and the option to have a year abroad is nice :smile:
How are everyone's applications coming along? I'm finding it really difficult to structure and write my personal statement, it seems so difficult to get it right! I know the deadline for me is certainly getting very close :s-smilie:
Reply 112
How are everyone's applications coming along? I'm finding it really difficult to structure and write my personal statement, it seems so difficult to get it right! I know the deadline for me is certainly getting very close :s-smilie:

Me too, I've got about half done but it's shocking :facepalm2: My teacher at college tore it to pieces haha. When are you going to send your application off by at the latest?

Imperial is my first choice though, Oxford second.
Original post by hash007
Me too, I've got about half done but it's shocking :facepalm2: My teacher at college tore it to pieces haha. When are you going to send your application off by at the latest?

Imperial is my first choice though, Oxford second.

I don't want to send it off too late, but I'm waiting to get a photocopy of an exam back so I can see if it needs to be remarked because I'm not sure it was marked properly, so I have to wait for all that to go through. I think I have my five choices now, although I'm not 100% as I've only visited 3. I guess once my PS is done (which I'm planning to finish within the next week), ASAP really.
Reply 114
I don't want to send it off too late, but I'm waiting to get a photocopy of an exam back so I can see if it needs to be remarked because I'm not sure it was marked properly, so I have to wait for all that to go through. I think I have my five choices now, although I'm not 100% as I've only visited 3. I guess once my PS is done (which I'm planning to finish within the next week), ASAP really.

Which 5 are you applying to, and which do you prefer to go to?

Also, which college do want to go to at Oxford?
Original post by hash007
Which 5 are you applying to, and which do you prefer to go to?

Also, which college do want to go to at Oxford?

I think the 5 I'm choosing are:

Oxford
Imperial
Southampton
Bristol
Birmingham

But I'm debating Birmingham and maybe even Bristol. University websites are so confusing, especially when it comes to entry requirements, so I'll just have to do a bit more research.

I genuinely have no idea when it comes to Oxford colleges. I haven't given it a thought to be honest. Maybe I'll just make an open application, but I'm going to have a better look when I have time.
Reply 116

Just a quick heads up that I'm pretty sure the deadline for remarks is on Tuesday so you may need to make a decision asap :smile: i'd do it though, i went up 2 grades in my geog1 and am hoping for a few more marks in my geog2 which i should hopefully have back tomorrow.
Original post by Chasm
Just a quick heads up that I'm pretty sure the deadline for remarks is on Tuesday so you may need to make a decision asap :smile: i'd do it though, i went up 2 grades in my geog1 and am hoping for a few more marks in my geog2 which i should hopefully have back tomorrow.

Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm hoping to get the paper back tomorrow, but if not I guess I'll just apply for a remark anyway. Are you with AQA? How much did the remark cost?
Reply 118
I think the 5 I'm choosing are:

Oxford
Imperial
Southampton
Bristol
Birmingham

But I'm debating Birmingham and maybe even Bristol. University websites are so confusing, especially when it comes to entry requirements, so I'll just have to do a bit more research.

I genuinely have no idea when it comes to Oxford colleges. I haven't given it a thought to be honest. Maybe I'll just make an open application, but I'm going to have a better look when I have time.

Similar choices to me, apart from Southampton. I'm going for Durham instead or Manchester.

The 'Geology with Planetary Science' course at Manchester seems really interesting.
Reply 119
Yes, I'm aware of this. I'm hoping to get the paper back tomorrow, but if not I guess I'll just apply for a remark anyway. Are you with AQA? How much did the remark cost?

Its £44 so it is pricey, i guess its a case of how sure you are you did better. I was certain I hadnt got a C so i didnt even think about it but if you are hoping rather than expecting its a bit of a gamble. However if you're close to the grade boundary I'd say its worth a go as you will get your money back if it improves (I had to argue this point with my school as they refused to give me it back initially :rolleyes:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending