The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Morkike
right will do Ill go for Msc, do you know if its more competitive? and also what does ESE stand for :wink:

ESE is the department: Earth Science and Engineering:smile:
Reply 161
Original post by Morkike
right will do Ill go for Msc, do you know if its more competitive? and also what does ESE stand for :wink:

Don't think so. It's all part of the same quota for the department anyway I think (besides, if it was more competitive they would consider you for the BSc as well). ESE stands for 'Earth Science and Engineering'. It is the name of their department.
Reply 162
Sent off my application today, only put 3 places down to start with. I will choose the rest later on.

1. Imperial
2. Oxford
3. Birmingham (International year)

Got unil Jan to decide between:
Durham - Good reputation but location is off-putting
Manchester
Cardiff
Liverpool
Leicester - will probably have this as one of the two
Southampton
Reply 163
Hey guys Johnny-come-lately of Earth Sciences here :tongue:

GCSEs:
5 A*s
3 As
3 Bs

ASs:
Biology 85% (dropped)
Chemistry 90%
Physics 96%
Maths 92%

A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Realistically A*AA)

Applying to:
Cambridge Natsci Msci
Southampton Oceanography Msci
Southampton Geophysics Msci
Edinburgh Geophysics Bsc
Durham Geophysics with geology Bsc

Good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mono
Hey guys Johnny-come-lately of Earth Sciences here :tongue:

GCSEs:
5 A*s
3 As
3 Bs

ASs:
Biology 85% (dropped)
Chemistry 90%
Physics 96%
Maths 92%

A2 predictions: A*A*A* (Realistically A*AA)

Applying to:
Cambridge Natsci Msci
Southampton Oceanography Msci
Southampton Geophysics Msci
Edinburgh Geophysics Bsc
Glasgow Earth Sciences Bsc

Good luck everyone :smile:

Wow, that's quite a mix of courses. And those grades are brilliant! Good luck with your application :smile:

If anyone's interested I've decided I'm going to apply for St. Hughs at Oxford. Almost ready to send of my application, just have to make a few little tweaks... it's all getting a bit real now :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 165
Original post by lukas1051
Wow, that's quite a mix of courses. And those grades are brilliant! Good luck with your application :smile:

If anyone's interested I've decided I'm going to apply for St. Hughs at Oxford. Almost ready to send of my application, just have to make a few little tweaks... it's all getting a bit real now :s-smilie:

Thanks mate :smile: I suffer from chronic indecision :redface:

Yep it's crunch time for UCAS good luck :smile:
Reply 166
Guess we should all say which college we ended up going for, i went for Worcester but was inches away from going for St Hughs. I think all the Earth Science college look great really :smile:

Oh and my UCAS is sent just my school being stupid and refusing to send it off, even though I sent it to them a week ago.

My grades where:

GCSE
8 A*, 3 A

AS
Further Maths - A
Geography - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A

And im carrying all four on to A2. Pretty sure ive been predicted A*A*AA but realistically i'm hoping for one, won't complain if i end up with 2 come August though :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by lukas1051

I was interested in St. Hughes but I went for Worcester in the end, hope I get called for an interview. So dissapointed with my AS results (AABB) :mad2: Been working harder this year, every homework i've given in so far has come back to me with 90% or above!!
Opinions needed on Leicester or Leeds as my fifth choice. I'll be applying for the Msci (international year) at both.

Leeds- AAA
Leicester- AAB
Reply 169
I would say Leicester would be a wiser choise. The place seems great and the geology department is rising up - the city of leicester is nicer also. I dont know for sure but having AAA as your lowest? offer seems a bit scary so Leicester may be more safe (its only 5th choise afterall).
Original post by Morkike
I would say Leicester would be a wiser choise. The place seems great and the geology department is rising up - the city of leicester is nicer also. I dont know for sure but having AAA as your lowest? offer seems a bit scary so Leicester may be more safe (its only 5th choise afterall).

I was swaying towards Leicester, partly because I am from a small seaside town, so Leeds may be too bigger a change. Also due to the whole AAA grade requirements for Leeds.

Well, I say it's my fifth choice, but my first choice (St Andrews) still only requires AAB.

Choices in order:

-St Andrews AAB
-Durham AAB
-UCL AAAe- ABBe
-Southampton AAA- ABB
-Leicester/Leeds
Reply 171
Leicester is awesome. I visited them a while back. It was actually at Leicester that I decided on what subject I wanted to take so I have a bit of a soft spot for them.
Reply 172
Am i the only person north of the borders interested in this subject then? I'm applying for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen...not sure where else.

If people are interested in the energy industry, they should definitely consider Aberdeen.
Reply 173
Original post by theguru
Am i the only person north of the borders interested in this subject then? I'm applying for Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen...not sure where else.

If people are interested in the energy industry, they should definitely consider Aberdeen.

St. Andrews?!
Hello :smile:

Applying for straight Geology

Bham Msci
Bham Year abroad
Holloway Bsc
Leicester Bsc

Still looking to find the fifth choice, got until Jan for that :smile:
Ok, got a problem...

Predicted grades:

Chemistry- A*
Biology- A*
Geography- C

Yet, my minimum entry requirements are AAB............. I hate my geography teacher!!
Reply 176
Original post by paulbridger
Ok, got a problem...

Predicted grades:

Chemistry- A*
Biology- A*
Geography- C

Yet, my minimum entry requirements are AAB............. I hate my geography teacher!!

Can't you persuade him/her to bump it up? Did you get a C at AS? If you got better you should definitely get a higher predicted grade, if not explain the mistakes you made and how you WILL rectify them and do better this year :cool:
Reply 177
Ok, got a problem...

Predicted grades:

Chemistry- A*
Biology- A*
Geography- C

What did you get at AS? Can you not beg your teacher to bump the grade up? If it all goes to pot then hopefully the A* predictions will compensate for the C and you'll get some offers. Then you can go on and push yourself to achieve A*A*B and prove your teacher wrong!
Original post by Mono
Can't you persuade him/her to bump it up? Did you get a C at AS? If you got better you should definitely get a higher predicted grade, if not explain the mistakes you made and how you WILL rectify them and do better this year :cool:

Original post by Zottula
What did you get at AS? Can you not beg your teacher to bump the grade up? If it all goes to pot then hopefully the A* predictions will compensate for the C and you'll get some offers. Then you can go on and push yourself to achieve A*A*B and prove your teacher wrong!

I got a C in geography at AS, with a B in unit 1 and a C in unit 2.... They won't even predict me a B, even though I'm resitting both those papers, and was only 2 marks off a B at AS!! It makes me so angry....

Tomorrow I am going to explain how it will ruin my whole application if they are going to be stubborn, and not have a little faith in me
:mad:
Reply 179
I got a C in geography at AS, with a B in unit 1 and a C in unit 2.... They won't even predict me a B, even though I'm resitting both those papers, and was only 2 marks off a B at AS!! It makes me so angry....

Tomorrow I am going to explain how it will ruin my whole application if they are going to be stubborn, and not have a little faith in me
:mad:

Surely if they are letting you resit then they think you are capable of pushing the grade up to a B? They would have advised against a resit if they think you can't improve it! Yes go pester them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending