The Student Room Group

Geology/Earth Science Applicants 2012

Ok I know this is a bit early, but anyone else applying? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i am! im really excited about the prospect of uni studying geology, which uni's are you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by rale94
i am! im really excited about the prospect of uni studying geology, which uni's are you looking at?

Erm imperial (love), royal hollaway, durham (not sure, didnt really like the open day), southampton, bristol, liverpool. You? Looked round any yet?
Reply 3
Feel free to ask me any questions about applying as I've just been through it all, so any questions about applying, courses, unis, grades etc just ask :smile:
Reply 4
Same as above :smile:
Reply 5
Im applying to bristol to study geology in 2012. Im applying as a mature student and starting my access course next week studying environmental issues/ earth science, chemistry and sociology. So excited!!!!!
Reply 6
I'm applying to Oxford, Southampton, UEA, Durham and Brimingham; I'm really looking forward to finally going to uni and properly studying the subject I'm interested in rather than doing a bit in Physical Geography/Chemistry/Physics/Maths! Is everyone else doing an A Level in Geology? They don't offer it at my school and I don't know whether it is a disadvantage!(??) Also, some of the courses I want to do (Climate science at UEA and Ocean, Earth and Climate Science at Southampton) have a greater emphasis on the climate and oceans but my first choice uni is Oxford with straight earth sciences, how should I write my PS?
Reply 7
Original post by abemco
I'm applying to Oxford, Southampton, UEA, Durham and Brimingham; I'm really looking forward to finally going to uni and properly studying the subject I'm interested in rather than doing a bit in Physical Geography/Chemistry/Physics/Maths! Is everyone else doing an A Level in Geology? They don't offer it at my school and I don't know whether it is a disadvantage!(??) Also, some of the courses I want to do (Climate science at UEA and Ocean, Earth and Climate Science at Southampton) have a greater emphasis on the climate and oceans but my first choice uni is Oxford with straight earth sciences, how should I write my PS?

Don't worry about not having done Geology A level. Most applicants have not done it either, so universities don't mind. Science A levels are stronger subjects for admission onto a Geology/Earth Sciences degree anyway.

With your PS don't worry too much about how to write it. You could write it aimed more towards a general Earth Sciences course, but you can mention a keen interest in climate as all earth science courses will cover this to some extent anyway. Climate is relevant to a geology degree anyway, so it's not like you are applying for completely different subjects or anything. They like to see someone with a strong interest in a particular area. Use the PS helpers on TSR as well, I've heard they are very good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Anyone started writing or drafting their PS? I wanna do geology or environmental geoscience but I would also like to apply for archaeology as a kind of back up. I am really interested in both!

In my personal statement should I write about just geology or should I include my interest for archaeology as well?
Reply 9
Original post by abemco

Have you looked round Durham? I didnt really like it but I'm not sure why, may apply anyway and go back for a second look. And what about UEA havent really looked at them. And don't worry about your subjects they sound fine, tbh i now wish i'd done chemistry instead of geology - the rest are the same though :tongue:

Original post by godsangel
Anyone started writing or drafting their PS? I wanna do geology or environmental geoscience but I would also like to apply for archaeology as a kind of back up. I am really interested in both!

In my personal statement should I write about just geology or should I include my interest for archaeology as well?

I've on my xth draft, i cant get it to sound anywhere near good :/ I'd just focus on one subject tbh, becuase otherwise it just looks like your not fully committed - well thats what an admission tutor told me :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by lilliehear
Have you looked round Durham? I didnt really like it but I'm not sure why, may apply anyway and go back for a second look. And what about UEA havent really looked at them. And don't worry about your subjects they sound fine, tbh i now wish i'd done chemistry instead of geology - the rest are the same though :tongue:

I haven't looked around Durham cos tbh I really want to go to Oxford and failing that Southampton so it's just a back up that my teachers and friends suggested! I've only properly looked at Oxford, Southampton and Birmingham but my parents both went to UEA and claim it was brilliant, and it's near the sea so can't be too bad :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by abemco
I haven't looked around Durham cos tbh I really want to go to Oxford and failing that Southampton so it's just a back up that my teachers and friends suggested! I've only properly looked at Oxford, Southampton and Birmingham but my parents both went to UEA and claim it was brilliant, and it's near the sea so can't be too bad :biggrin:

Aha fair enough, I cant be with the hassle of oxbridge - and i probably wouldnt get the grades :tongue: What did you get at AS btw? Yeah I've heard southamptons good too, and again by the sea. But birmighams far too near for me, so thats a no haha
Reply 12
Aha fair enough, I cant be with the hassle of oxbridge - and i probably wouldnt get the grades :tongue: What did you get at AS btw? Yeah I've heard southamptons good too, and again by the sea. But birmighams far too near for me, so thats a no haha

My teachers suggested oxbridge and the open day was really good so now I've been sucked into it:tongue: At AS: Chemistry 87%(I'm not the best at practicals), Maths 89% (I died in M1:ashamed2:) , Physics 93%, Geography 100% (all A's:biggrin:). How did you do?
Reply 13
Original post by abemco
My teachers suggested oxbridge and the open day was really good so now I've been sucked into it:tongue: At AS: Chemistry 87%(I'm not the best at practicals), Maths 89% (I died in M1:ashamed2:) , Physics 93%, Geography 100% (all A's:biggrin:). How did you do?

Ahah, wow those are like amazing! Erm geography 84.5%, maths 88.7% ( Mechanics saved me, 97%, i love it ahah), Physics 89.3% and Geology 93.3%. Oh and i took film studies last year and got 90.5%, but its a bit of a soft subject :tongue:. Though my GCSEs arent fantasitic, there not terrible though.
Reply 14
Wow you guys are all really clever.
Reply 15
Original post by Zottula
Wow you guys are all really clever.

Thank you :smile: I was totally expecting to fail maths though. I thought i'd get AABC at AS
Reply 16
Thank you :smile: I was totally expecting to fail maths though. I thought i'd get AABC at AS

That's ok :smile:. Well you've done exceptionally well. I expect we'll make a fabulous earth scientist of you. I presume you'll be looking at the very top universities then?
Reply 17
Original post by Zottula
That's ok :smile:. Well you've done exceptionally well. I expect we'll make a fabulous earth scientist of you. I presume you'll be looking at the very top universities then?

Ahah thank you :smile: I hope! Well not oxbridge, but mainly higher ranking ones.
Reply 18
Ahah thank you :smile: I hope! Well not oxbridge, but mainly higher ranking ones.

Yeah Oxbridge are not the only good ones anyway :smile:. Have you got your eye on anywhere in particular?
Reply 19
Original post by Zottula
Yeah Oxbridge are not the only good ones anyway :smile:. Have you got your eye on anywhere in particular?

Imperial if I could get in :smile: Think I've got a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending