The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by saccharin
me? yeah the cast was a huge hard plastery thing which covered my entire torso plus one arm - which stuck out to the side, really weird looking.

Are you serious? You can't have a cast on the torso because it would restrict breathing. It's not allowed.
Otherwise, it would be so loose, it would be pointless to have because it'd do nothing.
Reply 21
Original post by Ambray
Are you serious? You can't have a cast on the torso because it would restrict breathing. It's not allowed.
Otherwise, it would be so loose, it would be pointless to have because it'd do nothing.

it's defo allowed...
Reply 22
Oh wow and you're in the UK, too?

I was told it wasn't allowed when I was at A+E because it wouldn't be possible and would cause problems breathing. So I'm amazed somebody has had it done. O.O

How long ago was this?
Didn't Joey have that sort of thing in Friends? I tried to find a picture but couldn't :frown:
I fell off my KTM 500 3 weeks ago. Landed on my shoulder and heard it snap. Right hand too so stranded as unable to ride bike. Nightmare. Anyway, went to A&E, shoulder 4 inches lower and a lot of pain. xRay and 3 small pieces of bone floating, and 2 joints about 15mm apart. Sent home saying it will heal. My employer saw radiograph and sent me private. Immediate operation. Surgeon after said my longer part of collar bone was facing back piercing my neck muscle so scar was big as he had to fish around to get it, lots of screws and titanium plate. Hurts like hell. Very, very glad I work for a Japanese oil company who paid for private operation. 1 week on and shoulder really hurts as surgeon said he had to dislocate again (twice in a fe days ) but collar bone feels ok. My arm feels wrenched most of all. Very disappointed with nhs as I would have had major issues with my collarbone pierced into my trap muscle at some point! Recovering now
I know where your coming from when you say it's really uncomfortable wearing the sling. It actually causes severe pain in the middle of my ribs. I broke my collarbone in a bad car accident a month ago. Think I've had my sling on ten times or so. It hasnt stopped me doing anything, last week I was out cutting the grass and ive been doing all the housework everyday. I pay for not being able to sit on my arse every night as I'm in agony with it
When I broke my collar bone I waited 3 hours for a x-Ray. I was then given a sling (the ones you get in first aid boxes) told to take paracetamol for the pain and sent home. I did not even get to see the X-ray. I was referred to the fracture clinic and got an appointment 2 weeks later.

At the fracture clinic they looked at the origiaal X-ray from 2 weeks ago -I was told that it will heal naturally and pinning was not recommended. I was told that the pressure around the break was normal. The same with the lump and the grinding sensation. I have been told that after 2 weeks I can ditch the sling if i want and move my arm a little (if I get pain it means I am doing too much) I can't though lift my elbow above the shoulder. I next go back in 6 weeks and he said he may X-ray it to see the improvement but depends on my movement.
A fall from a horse due to a blackout caused a punctured lung, 2 cracked ribs and a severe collarbone fracture. Had an xray and found bone had overlapped. Have a comfortable sling on and another xray 6 weeks on. Doctor says highly likely I will need surgery to pin the bone.
I am able to use my hand and pain more like soreness. Not sure when I should take my sling off I assume when it stops hurting. I cannot feel any lump when I touch the area so is it possible the bones have met?
I too broke my collarbone skiing in France and had it pinned on return to UK. I discarded the expensive 'straightjacket contraption which the French clinic sold me and who told me not to move for 7 weeks. They are kidding, you end up with extended physic just to get your shoulder joints and tendons working again. I also did away with the basic wrist/arm sling which the NHS gave me. Instead I got an adjustable luggage strap which goes over my other shoulder and hangs around my chest to just above my forearm. Then I loosely attached a short velcro strap though the luggage strap to fit around my forearm quite near the elbow. The idea being that the 'chain' like adjustable strap supports the full weight of the arm - the 'good' shoulder taking the weight of the 'bad' arm. Much more comfortable, much less tiring, and still allow some mobility with the hand and wrist without affecting the healing collar bone.
In all that time I never had any pain and the bone healed well without the usual knuckle.
Im sure this design can be used for general shoulder problems.

PhilB Glasgow
Lucky you I fell downstairs and couldn't get off the floor for a good halfa hour hubby took me hospital and was in agony 4 hours waiting too see triage nurse got x rayed and nurse practitioner came told me I had broken collarbone never seen a doctor then she put a paper sling on and told me fracture clinic would ring me next day .they rang and it was a nurse who spoke to me saying I would get an appointmentfor 6 weekstime that's the only treatment I have had its been 3 weeks and I'm still in agony with pain in my shoulderblade and my right breast every movement is sheer agony roll on next 3 weeks xx

Latest