The Student Room Group

Proof of GCSE results - need advice!

I achieved two A grades in English and Maths GCSE, which I sat alongside an Access course for which I achieved all Distinctions, and have completely exceeded my university's conditional offer requirements. I have scanned a copy of my Access certificate, and my GCSE results slip which colleges/schools provide until the authentic certificates are allocated to students in October.

The admissions tutor at the uni has told me that my offer will soon change to unconditional.

But here's my worry...

Come September, during enrolment, surely I will be asked to show my GCSE certificate for proof of grades? Will the results slip provided by my college be good enough?

Anyone with experience on this matter? Thanks in advance.

Also...I know the best thing to do is to contact the uni but they'd be unavailable right now :tongue:
Reply 1
??
Reply 2
Yes, the results slip should do. I think your GCSE grades are accessible to them already through UCAS or the exam board (something like that).
Reply 3
Original post by oj234
I achieved two A grades in English and Maths GCSE, which I sat alongside an Access course for which I achieved all Distinctions, and have completely exceeded my university's conditional offer requirements. I have scanned a copy of my Access certificate, and my GCSE results slip which colleges/schools provide until the authentic certificates are allocated to students in October.

The admissions tutor at the uni has told me that my offer will soon change to unconditional.

But here's my worry...

Come September, during enrolment, surely I will be asked to show my GCSE certificate for proof of grades? Will the results slip provided by my college be good enough?

Anyone with experience on this matter? Thanks in advance.

Also...I know the best thing to do is to contact the uni but they'd be unavailable right now :tongue:

I know that for edexcel you can get a printed copy of your reults- see if you can do that for the other exam boards you are doing.

Similarly, perhaps get your exam boarss to write letter explaining this, so that you can take it to your uni and show them.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by oj234
I achieved two A grades in English and Maths GCSE, which I sat alongside an Access course for which I achieved all Distinctions, and have completely exceeded my university's conditional offer requirements.

Very well done!!
So it is do-able!
I would like to do those 2 GCSEs alongside my Access this year, but my college keeps telling me it will be too hard and that I should focus on getting distinctions on my Access course.
Most universities I am applying for want those GCSEs but my college won't let me take them.
Which Access did you do?
How did you find the workload?
Did you self-study and took the exams or did you go to classes?
Your help will be much appreciated.
Reply 6
Original post by shanesia05
Very well done!!
So it is do-able!
I would like to do those 2 GCSEs alongside my Access this year, but my college keeps telling me it will be too hard and that I should focus on getting distinctions on my Access course.
Most universities I am applying for want those GCSEs but my college won't let me take them.
Which Access did you do?
How did you find the workload?
Did you self-study and took the exams or did you go to classes?
Your help will be much appreciated.

It's definitely do-able if you have a brain and are willing to work (quite) hard :tongue:

Don't listen to them! People told me it would be too much to handle also, but what do they know?! As long as YOU believe you can do it, then you can!

I did the Access to Business course, which one will you be doing?

Honestly the workload is very manageable, but the thing is, so many people on my course were either very lazy, could not speak English very well, or were just...well...not the cleverest of people lol. I think that the low calibre of students that go on access courses affects the way teachers' think of students' capabilities in general.

I went to GCSE classes. One on Saturday morning, and one on Thursday evening. However, GCSE Maths was basically self-taught with the help of the Mathswatch CD! I have that CD to thank for my Maths grade.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by oj234

It's definitely do-able if you have a brain and are willing to work (quite) hard :tongue:

Don't listen to them! People told me it would be too much to handle also, but what do they know?! As long as YOU believe you can do it, then you can!

I did the Access to Business course, which one will you be doing?

Honestly the workload is very manageable, but the thing is, so many people on my course were either very lazy, could not speak English very well, or were just...well...not the cleverest of people lol. I think that the low calibre of students that go on access courses affects the way teachers' think of students' capabilities in general.

I went to GCSE classes. One on Saturday morning, and one on Thursday evening. However, GCSE Maths was basically self-taught with the help of the Mathswatch CD! I have that CD to thank for my Maths grade.

Anything else you want to know feel free to ask :smile:

Thank you for your quick answer.

I am also doing Access to business!!! :biggrin:

I am very happy to read your thread because I was so anxious, and could not find someone who went through what I would like to do.

I am ready to work hard and have the abilities to do so.
I will definitively look into that Mathswatch CD, it is not the first time someone mentions it!

Did you have to pay for your GCSEs? Mine cost £290 each and I do not know if there is any help available.
I guess you did the Higher level of maths (since you got an A), but did you sit English language or English lit?

Sorry for all these questions, but enrolment for GCSE is on the 31st of august, so I want to make sure I am ready.:biggrin:
Reply 8
Thank you for your quick answer.

I am also doing Access to business!!! :biggrin:

I am very happy to read your thread because I was so anxious, and could not find someone who went through what I would like to do.

I am ready to work hard and have the abilities to do so.
I will definitively look into that Mathswatch CD, it is not the first time someone mentions it!

Did you have to pay for your GCSEs? Mine cost £290 each and I do not know if there is any help available.
I guess you did the Higher level of maths (since you got an A), but did you sit English language or English lit?

Sorry for all these questions, but enrolment for GCSE is on the 31st of august, so I want to make sure I am ready.:biggrin:

The Mathswatch CD can only be bought from colleges btw, but they do have them for sale on Ebay sometimes.

Yeah I did the higher level Maths & I sat something called "AQA English Mature B" specification. It was mainly language but also a bit of literature. As you probably know though, universities don't ask for literature, so stick to language unless you also do the Mature B Spec.

Good luck :wink: where do you plan on applying to uni?
Reply 9
Original post by oj234
The Mathswatch CD can only be bought from colleges btw, but they do have them for sale on Ebay sometimes.

Yeah I did the higher level Maths & I sat something called "AQA English Mature B" specification. It was mainly language but also a bit of literature. As you probably know though, universities don't ask for literature, so stick to language unless you also do the Mature B Spec.

Good luck :wink: where do you plan on applying to uni?

I was on google and could not find it!!! LOL
How much do they sell it for?
Thank you for your advice.

I plan on applying to Warwick, Birmingham,Loughborough, Aston and Coventry/Birmingham city.
I live in the midlands and have a family so can not go further.

What about you, which Unis did you apply to and what was the outcome?
Sure you got a place at your preferred Uni.:tongue:

What are you going to study? for me it will either be A&F or Business Management.
Reply 10
I was on google and could not find it!!! LOL
How much do they sell it for?
Thank you for your advice.

I plan on applying to Warwick, Birmingham,Loughborough, Aston and Coventry/Birmingham city.
I live in the midlands and have a family so can not go further.

What about you, which Unis did you apply to and what was the outcome?
Sure you got a place at your preferred Uni.:tongue:

What are you going to study? for me it will either be A&F or Business Management.

Your college will most probs have it, i've found one on ebay actually :smile: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=maths+watch+cd&_sacat=0&_odkw=mathswatch+cd&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Ohh that's cool. I applied to Leeds, Manchester, Hull, Leicester and QMUL and got into my chosen choice of Manchester to study Economics :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by oj234
Your college will most probs have it, i've found one on ebay actually :smile: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=maths+watch+cd&_sacat=0&_odkw=mathswatch+cd&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Ohh that's cool. I applied to Leeds, Manchester, Hull, Leicester and QMUL and got into my chosen choice of Manchester to study Economics :tongue:

Oh thank you so much!!!
Congrats for getting into Manchester to study Economics!!!!:tongue:
My Access modules are Business, Law, Psychology/Sociology. What modules did you choose?
Reply 12
Oh thank you so much!!!
Congrats for getting into Manchester to study Economics!!!!:tongue:
My Access modules are Business, Law, Psychology/Sociology. What modules did you choose?

Thanks :smile: Ahh I did Marketing, Management, Accounting & Finance, and the Study Skills modules.
Reply 13
Original post by oj234
Thanks :smile: Ahh I did Marketing, Management, Accounting & Finance, and the Study Skills modules.

oh lucky you!!!:tongue:
I wish I had these modules:frown:. I love them!!! LOL

So You did not do the level 2 Maths and English (GCSE equivalence ) as part of your Access? Is it because you were doing your GCSEs?

How much do schools sell the CD for? I do not want to make crazy bids on ebay. At least I will be able to know when to stop !!! lol
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
oh lucky you!!!:tongue:
I wish I had these modules:frown:. I love them!!! LOL

So You did not do the level 2 Maths and English (GCSE equivalence ) as part of your Access? Is it because you were doing your GCSEs?

How much do schools sell the CD for? I do not want to make crazy bids on ebay. At least I will be able to know when to stop !!! lol

Haha I think yours sounds more interesting tbh :smile:

Yeah sorry I should have said, I also did the GCSE equivalents in Maths and English as part of the study skills. However, they aren't equivalent in anyway whatsoever lol they are extremely easy and it's no wonder most good universities don't accept them as an alternative :s-smilie:

I bought mine for £3.00. Lol yeah I hear that but if your college doesn't stock Mathswatch CDs you should be willing to pay extra IMO, that CD is a lifesaver :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by oj234
Haha I think yours sounds more interesting tbh :smile:

Yeah sorry I should have said, I also did the GCSE equivalents in Maths and English as part of the study skills. However, they aren't equivalent in anyway whatsoever lol they are extremely easy and it's no wonder most good universities don't accept them as an alternative :s-smilie:

I bought mine for £3.00. Lol yeah I hear that but if your college doesn't stock Mathswatch CDs you should be willing to pay extra IMO, that CD is a lifesaver :tongue:

Well, I guess I can only try and appreciate what I have got then!!! :tongue:
I knew those level 2 were a joke anyway. Thank you for the confirmation.
Lifesaver? OMG I better start bidding then!!!:tongue:

Was your Maths GCSE linear or modular?

Were your GCSEs part of your Unis offer?
I mean, when you were making your UCAS application, did you mention you were taking them?
Reply 16
Well, I guess I can only try and appreciate what I have got then!!! :tongue:
I knew those level 2 were a joke anyway. Thank you for the confirmation.
Lifesaver? OMG I better start bidding then!!!:tongue:

Was your Maths GCSE linear or modular?

Were your GCSEs part of your Unis offer?
I mean, when you were making your UCAS application, did you mention you were taking them?

I definitely recommend the CD, I didn't touch a text book! Just used the CD and past papers and got my A :smile: I did linear, I think the government has put an end to modular from here onwards, I could be wrong though.

Yeah, on the UCAS form when you apply, you simply put the GCSEs you are taking, and where it says results, you select "pending" from a drop down list. This informs the universities that you are currently studying for the exam, and they will give you a conditional offer based on that. You aren't supposed to mention GCSEs/exam results in your personal statement :smile:
My Access course certificates came last week!!
Reply 18
Original post by oj234
I definitely recommend the CD, I didn't touch a text book! Just used the CD and past papers and got my A :smile: I did linear, I think the government has put an end to modular from here onwards, I could be wrong though.

Yeah, on the UCAS form when you apply, you simply put the GCSEs you are taking, and where it says results, you select "pending" from a drop down list. This informs the universities that you are currently studying for the exam, and they will give you a conditional offer based on that. You aren't supposed to mention GCSEs/exam results in your personal statement :smile:

Thank you for the info!You are so helpful:smile:

I actually enrolled for GCSE Maths today, but my college only offers the AQA Modular exam:angry: Anyway it is better than nothing.

Good thing is they sell THE CD for £3.:tongue: I will defo get it.

I have not sorted my GCSE English yet because my college is"against" it. trying to find somewhere else.:tongue:

Wish me luck:smile:
Reply 19
Thank you for the info!You are so helpful:smile:

I actually enrolled for GCSE Maths today, but my college only offers the AQA Modular exam:angry: Anyway it is better than nothing.

Good thing is they sell THE CD for £3.:tongue: I will defo get it.

I have not sorted my GCSE English yet because my college is"against" it. trying to find somewhere else.:tongue:

Wish me luck:smile:

Good luck :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending