The Student Room Group

I want to become a lawyer and get a degree in law- are my A-Level options good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

Original post by ell-
Cheers! You're really helpful! Most people have just told me to basically take maths, english, chemistry and biology and don't seem to understand that such time consuming subjects are likely to result in lower grades! How do you think I can prepare for interviews etc efficiently regarding what you said and Uni? As for experience and such, how old would I have to be and how should I go about it?

Lol there's no point in being negative when I have done it and so have loads of people I know...I think you should always go with your gut anyway. In terms of interview prep, just really think about why law and make sure you read the papers etc but focus on your ps first. You can try emailing local law firms from any age, just ask if you can shadow a solicitor or barrister for a day. I know that Ashurst (large London law firm) will take people around the offices. I am currently in the process of applying for training contracts and have done quite well so feel free to pm me for advice as to your options in that regard (though don't worry about that until you start second year of A-Levels really!)

p.s. you don't need to do a year long internship to become a lawyer!! Sorry to contradict Killuminati1989 but post graduate isn't really the best idea if you want to be a commercial lawyer - law firms can see it as a sign that you aren't dedicated to the profession...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by ell-
So would you recommend me studying Law?

Not necessarily recommend, just think it wouldn't be a bad subject to take :smile: I still think subjects like History or English Lit are better than it for a law degree
Reply 22
Original post by cros
4 A*s 5 As and 3 Bs with two taken a year early...I went to a rubbish school though..

See, I went to the crappest school ever, my teachers were hardly even there and I got 2A*s, 3A's, 4 B's and 2 C's :mad::frown:
Reply 23
Original post by ell-

English Literature

Biology

Psychology

Sociology

The reason I'm not taking Law is mostly because I've been told it isn't desired by universities regardless of whether or not you hope to study Law in uni and if I were to pick Law, I would have to scrap Biology as it doesn't fit in with my exam timetable?

Will I be disadvantaged picking these subjects as A-levels?

Can you still change your A-levels? I heard you can't after you've enrolled.
Reply 24
Original post by Tateco
Not necessarily recommend, just think it wouldn't be a bad subject to take :smile: I still think subjects like History or English Lit are better than it for a law degree

I have taken English Literature, and will be taking biology too. ?
Reply 25

Original post by GLOB
Can you still change your A-levels? I heard you can't after you've enrolled.

I enrol tomorrow.
Reply 26
Original post by ell-
I enrol tomorrow.

I see.
Reply 27
Mate if you want to do law, do it. You don't have to listen to some people on here.

If doin Law along with other subjects can land you an offer at Oxford, then I clearly can't see the problem.

Doing law or psychology won't hinder your chances as long as you have the extra-curriculars too.
Reply 28
Original post by cros
Lol there's no point in being negative when I have done it and so have loads of people I know...I think you should always go with your gut anyway. In terms of interview prep, just really think about why law and make sure you read the papers etc but focus on your ps first. You can try emailing local law firms from any age, just ask if you can shadow a solicitor or barrister for a day. I know that Ashurst (large London law firm) will take people around the offices. I am currently in the process of applying for training contracts and have done quite well so feel free to pm me for advice as to your options in that regard (though don't worry about that until you start second year of A-Levels really!)

p.s. you don't need to do a year long internship to become a lawyer!! Sorry to contradict Killuminati1989 but post graduate isn't really the best idea if you want to be a commercial lawyer - law firms can see it as a sign that you aren't dedicated to the profession...

Thanks! I enrolled on the 26th and took English Lit, biology, sociology and psychology. I start college tomorrow. Really appreciate the advice you've given me and wouldn't mind pm'ing you in the future if it wouldn't be too much bother? That's if you're still available on here by then aha.I just don't really have anyone I can ask with regards to uni and all aha. Thanks a lot anyway!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29

Original post by ell-
Thanks! I enrolled on the 26th and took English Lit, biology, sociology and psychology. I start college tomorrow. Really appreciate the advice you've given me and wouldn't mind pm'ing you in the future if it wouldn't be too much bother? That's if you're still available on here by then aha.I just don't really have anyone I can ask with regards to uni and all aha. Thanks a lot anyway!

Congratulations :smile: Absolutely feel free to pm me with any questions re law/oxford/uni in general and I will help as much as I can lol. It seems as if we have come from similar backgrounds so my experiences could be helpful. Enjoy your time at college and good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 30
If you're going for a top uni then don't do Sociology, Psychology or Law.

English, History, Science, Maths, Languages.

FYI I'm just going to start Law at Oxford, I did
Eng Lit
French
Chemistry
Latin (AS)

Lesser than AAA uni's I imagine would be more than happy with your choice whether or not you do Law and focus more on the grades you get.
Reply 31
Original post by olibishop

Eng Lit
French
Chemistry
Latin (AS)

Lesser than AAA uni's I imagine would be more than happy with your choice whether or not you do Law and focus more on the grades you get.

I am going into my third year of Law at Oxford and I did psychology, sociology, drama and English Lit...not everyone has the same experience and at A-Level it is more important to do things you are interested in than fitting the 'mould' of Oxford. You will realise that when you've been there for a few weeks. If OP has genuine passion for law and shows this through PS, EC etc then it doesn't matter too much what subjects you do (obv not business management or travel and tourism). Everyone knows that the grades help Oxford shortlist but the interview, ps, references etc are equally important.
As long as they're academic, they're good... Which is why I'd drop sociology. It's by no means a terrible subject, but it's not as strong academically as the other 3.

Eng Lit
French
Chemistry
Latin (AS)

Rubbish. Psychology and Law are just as respected as any of your A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest