The Student Room Group

Anyone who went from alright GCSEs to amazing A Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
On my sig :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by Unobstructed Views
Whenever I see someone who have got all A*/As at A level, they always seem to have got like, more than 7 A*s at GCSE. I got fairly good GCSE results, but a bit disappointed because I know I could have done better if I worked harder. This has made me determined to be a better student in sixth form.

So yeah. Anyone here who actually improved in order to be an A*/A student? I still would love to go into medicine, but I feel kind of hopeless and I'm in need of reassurance. /:
Also any tips in getting better for A levels?

I went from AAABBBBCCCC at GCSE to AAAAB at A2 (when A* didnt exist).
Reply 22
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Gcse: 2A* 8A
AS: Five As

(I know you were asking for A level, but I thought you may be intrested in my turn around. Predicted 4A*s and an A fyi)

OP said "alright" GCSE grades. :colonhash:

You got good A levels...... You should know to read the instructions right! :tongue: lol.

Awesome grades. :biggrin:
Reply 23
2 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs a C and a D at GCSE and A*A*A*Aa at A-Level.
Hello.
You might need to have a look at this article published in the Guradian.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/mar/30/oxbridge-sixth-form-colleges

Apparently this guy got 3A's only at GCSEs and ended up getting into Oxford due to his hard work!
Reply 25
This thread has made me feel so much better :tongue:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
OP said "alright" GCSE grades. :colonhash:

You got good A levels...... You should know to read the instructions right! :tongue: lol.

Awesome grades. :biggrin:

haha the OP didnt give any clue! :tongue: Bescides at my school the person who got 10A*s last year didnt do so well this year at AS, so I think they are alright gcses...I mean they arnt exactly going to get me into Cambridge!
I went in the opposite direction :frown:
Reply 28
haha the OP didnt give any clue! :tongue: Bescides at my school the person who got 10A*s last year didnt do so well this year at AS, so I think they are alright gcses...I mean they arnt exactly going to get me into Cambridge!

I think someone clearly hasn't read up the reqirements for Cambridge, Have they? :rolleyes:

You could get in lol :lolwut:
Original post by Agent Smirnoff
I think someone clearly hasn't read up the reqirements for Cambridge, Have they? :rolleyes:

You could get in lol :lolwut:

Its not a requirement to get even Cs at AS when applying to Cambridge, but that dosnt mean itll get you in! :tongue:
I may give it a shot if I enjoy the open day and if my Chemistry teacher thinks im up for it! But right now I have my heart set on Maths with Biology full fee Scholarship at southampton :love:
Reply 30
No A*s at GCSE, AAA in my A2's. Got a C in an AS which I dropped, after which I would advise not taking a subject you did the worst in at GCSE even if you enjoy it.
Reply 31
Its not a requirement to get even Cs at AS when applying to Cambridge, but that dosnt mean itll get you in! :tongue:
I may give it a shot if I enjoy the open day and if my Chemistry teacher thinks im up for it! But right now I have my heart set on Maths with Biology full fee Scholarship at southampton :love:

Hold on what! Explain that again , please. :lolwut:

True somewhat but it depends on your application and how you do it.

If you want to do Maths and Bio at Soton..... why do you need the opinion of your chemistry teacher
AAAABBBBBBB to AAAa at A level. Its possible.
Reply 33
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I went from ABBCCCCCCDDD at GCSE to A*A*Aa at A-level, so you can certainly improve.

What Subjects did you take?
How much more effort/ time do you have to put in?
Reply 34
At GCSE I got 5 A's, 7B's and a C. I've ended up getting AABC at A level. OK so it might not be the best example and may not be outstanding but I am proud of it and feel that I've got better grades compared to GCSE. Sometimes certain ways of learning will be better for you and so you might prefer A levels in the sense that it is taught differently or that you are examined differently. So you can definatly do better at A level than GCSE.
Reply 35
4A* 6As at GCSE, A*A*Aaa at A level, missing the third A* by 1 UMS.

Ultimately, A level is very different, because it's a test of your aptitude for a smaller number of subjects.
Reply 36
Not a huge jump but for GCSE I got A*A*A*AAABBBBCC and A levels now A*ABB :smile:
Original post by Unobstructed Views
Anyone here who actually improved in order to be an A*/A student?

I went from 4A* 3A 2B at GCSE, at a top private school, to 5A at AS-Level in a good state school :smile: I was happy with my GCSEs (but they're below average for top unis); however, I'm really happy with my AS-Levels.

Just work hard and you can perform really well!
Reply 38
I got Bs at GCSE in maths and English, A* and A in science and then went on to get AAAB in my A levels this summer which were Maths, economics, ICT and physics
Original post by MrFukutu
What Subjects did you take?
How much more effort/ time do you have to put in?

English literature, English language, law and history.

In all honesty it was easier than GCSEs for me, purely because I went to a really bad school for my GCSEs and then switched to a more average college.

It didn't require much effort. I did the set homework and practice essays, but nothing else. I didn't even read the set texts in English literature; I just listened in class to what was said and remembered enough to get an A* (with over 97% in the exams in both years.)

Results are in my sig by subject.

Quick Reply

Latest