The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy: 2012 entry

There seems to be threads about all the allied health proffessions but Physiotherapy, I dont know if anyone else on here is applying so I may be on my own here :awesome:

Thought it woukd be good to help each other through the application process, so (to get the thread rolling) how did you all do in AS levels and where are you thinking of applying?

Scroll to see replies

Last week, I had w/e in a health centre and I was allowed to shadow a physiotherapist for 2 hours; it was really interesting as I've never seen it before
Best of luck :wink: I'm sure they'll be other physio applicants

Edit: I forgot to say; I'm not going to apply for physio :blush:
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for the support :smile: Im sure there'll be applicants hiding away :cool:
Reply 3
I'm applying for Physiotherapy!!! :biggrin:
I did ok in my AS, i got BBB (Bio, Psycho and Socio) but i am a little disappointed because i need ABB at least.... but, hey, i've still got a year to improve. And i'm hoping to get into LEICESTER (well, coventry degree, but the learning is in Leicester) :biggrin:
How about you?
BBB is fine, you should easily be able to bump it up to As with a bit of hard work :smile:

I got AAC (Psychology, PE, Biology) so Im pretty pleased, the C was because I got an E in unit 2 :tongue: (i know what went wrong, i just didnt read the questions properly) so hopefully I'll get AAB/ABB predictions as I'll be resitting that unit :biggrin:

Ive fallen in love with the university of Liverpool so ideally id like to go there, but I was told they get over 1000 applicants for 38 places :eek:

Good to see more applicabts though :biggrin:
Reply 5
I was 2 marks from a B in unit 2 but i effed up my practical so i would've gotten a B nonetheless. I'll have to up my revision and effort next year... yay, i'm gonna die xD

Have you found any work experience? I've found 2 -.-; And only 1 was observing a physio for 2 days. Now i'm terrified since i don't know how much i really need
Im starting revison right away :tongue:

Im on a waiting list for 2 days with a physio but I left it too late to realise I definitely want to do physio and think Ive blown it experience wise :frown: Im relying on all the coaching I do and an extended project to show Ive researched it! Hopefully the waiting list isnt too long and I'll fit it in before Januray!

I think as long as you reflect on your time well it should be ok, theres no point doing 20 placements and not showing youve learned anything when you can do 1 placement and learn loads
Reply 7
I'm literally making my notes now, but i cant' do much because they haven't given us our A2 books :/

Some nursing homes have physios so it could be worth looking around, and some gyms have sports physios (i'm procrastinating calling them :tongue:) I hope 2's enough though, it's really difficult finding work exp now
Yeah I only start college on the 7th September so cant get started yet, I'm really going to work hard this year now ive realised just how much I want to go to uni!

Ive rang loads of nursing homes but they are all full :/ Im currently applying to as many opportunities as I can through www.do-it.org so hopefully theyll come to something!

I know a few sports physios but when I asked liverpool they said because of my sporting background it could actually damage my application because they want you to work for the NHS afterwards and youre unlikely to follow the sports path!

They know its really hard to get work experience though
Reply 9
I wanna go to uni NOW! ... i'll calm down :tongue:
It's unfair though about the sports thing though, you'd think they'd like physios to be sporty but i guess they just want workers ¬_¬
I actually would love to be at uni now :tongue:

I sort of understand it, the NHS is funding the course so they dont want people that wont work for them and go off to sports Physiotherapy (which is apparently difficult to get into anyway) as they'd see it as a waste of training.
Reply 11
I'm in my final year of physio, and although you don't want to base your entire application around sports, you should definitely mention it. What they are looking for is a good understanding of the entire profession, so you can absolutely say I play in the hockey team or I love that aspect of physio, but also mention that you are aware of the neuro and respiratory aspects of the job. I've just written a few paragraphs here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1749657 that might be of interest to you. It sounds like you are both on the right tracks. It is getting harder and harder to get into the course as budgets get squeezed and places fall, but it isn't impossible by any stretch. You just need to make sure your application is a strong as it can be, and then at interview it's really down to how you sell yourself.
Reply 12
Omg, I thought I was the only one ha! And I just recently realised that I want to do it realllllyyyy badly, and more importantly just go to uni! But there are sooo many things im worried about, and I will probably come off as really stupid doing a Btec in applied science but im predicted distinction stars! And I love the enthusiasm you guys are showing towards work experience, I JUST cant seem to find any! But do you think private physio firms will accept work experience?! I hope so,
Anyway I'll stop with the blabbering, and its nice to know theres people out there who understand how desperate I am to get into physio! :smile:
Thanks for the advice and support Ironmike, i would rep you but I just did on the other thread that you helped me out on! Which uni are you at, if you dont mind me asking?

Naz55, good to see another enthusiastic applicant! Ive tried 3 private firms and they all said they dont do shadowing, but theyll keep my details in case their policy changes. They will all have different policies so just contact them and ask, if anything they have your details for future reference so there's nothing to lose! And dont worry about blabbing, it would be nice for us all be able to support each other and share our experiences :smile:
Reply 14
ah finally a thread for physio :biggrin: .. i got AABB (bio, psychology, history and PE) in my AS's.. liverpool and nottingham are my favourites so far, can't wait to send my UCAS off and get the ball rolling! :biggrin:
How is everyone's personal statements going?
Didnt realise there were any other applicants so glad to see you all here :tongue:

Personal statement isnt going too well for me, I love it, then I hate it, then I think i seem arrogant, then I feel like Im blabbing ...

so hard to find the right balance!
As IronMike has said you need to show a good understanding of the entire profession, work experience is helpful with this but you can also find out a lot by doing some research as well. If you're struggling then look at the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy's website for more info, http://www.csp.org.uk/. It's offline at the moment but should be up again in a few days.

Cardiorespiratory physio is absolutely fascinating, as is the Neuro element of physio and each and every different aspect is as important as the other. If you show this in your personal statement, you should be fine.
Reply 17
Yeh that's like me with mine.. I'm close to the 4000 limit but i feel as if I've got so much more left to say haha! :smile:
At least weve started it early, most people I know havnt even thought about it!
Reply 19
very true.. have you done any extra reading and put it in you're personal statement, like physio books or research papers?

Quick Reply

Latest