The Student Room Group

Moving from GCSE to AS Advice? Revision tips etc?(Physics,Maths,Chemistry and FM)

Hey. After bombing out on my GCSE'S (in my opinion) because of social/personal reasons and leaving everything to the last minute. I've discovered that i just manages to scrape A's in the subjects i'm studying for AS Which are Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, I was just wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make sure that AS doesn't get on top of me. Any advice that would compliment the monumental hard work i plan on putting it would be great :smile:

Thanks in Advance :smile:
Start going to a library to study regularly, and keep doing past papers as much as possible.
Try to do a set number of hours revision per subject per week.
For example, I work from 4:00PM, when I get home, to 6:00PM each night.

Mnemonics are a god-send.

Do MANY past papers.
Reply 3
Original post by Dharp
Hey. After bombing out on my GCSE'S (in my opinion) because of social/personal reasons and leaving everything to the last minute. I've discovered that i just manages to scrape A's in the subjects i'm studying for AS Which are Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths, I was just wondering if you could give me some tips on how to make sure that AS doesn't get on top of me. Any advice that would compliment the monumental hard work i plan on putting it would be great :smile:

Thanks in Advance :smile:

first of all DONT get disheartened whatever your GCSE results are. As long as you're comfortable with the subjects you plan on doing for A level:smile:. Focus fully on your A levels from day one or you will regret it come january. Other advice would be just listen to your teacher- dont arrogantly think you'll be able to make up for it by the end of exams and try an blag them bcoz you wont. Youll get Ds, Es or Us. And that's a certainty.
Reply 4
For physics in particular (and maths and fm i guess) do LOADS of practice qs, practice makes perfect after all. The jump in these subjects is huge, and the question layouts and answer formats are so different to GCSE (I don't know about chem, I never did that one at AS). Pretty tough subjects though. I'll say this - if you're not prepared to work, be prepared to fail.
Reply 5
Original post by alexem
For physics in particular (and maths and fm i guess) do LOADS of practice qs, practice makes perfect after all. The jump in these subjects is huge, and the question layouts and answer formats are so different to GCSE (I don't know about chem, I never did that one at AS). Pretty tough subjects though. I'll say this - if you're not prepared to work, be prepared to fail.

Would anyone suggest CGP guides? They helped me alot in GCSE and i wonder if they'll do the same in As ?
Reply 6
Original post by Dharp
Would anyone suggest CGP guides? They helped me alot in GCSE and i wonder if they'll do the same in As ?

They're alright, but they're kind of the bare basics that you need to know, they need to be combined with your school work, not just read over in the days before your exam (which was completely what I did at GCSE). If they help you understand the work you do in class, then I guess they're good! I would always suggest revising from your class notes though. Hope thats kind of helpful!
Don't get disheartened if you find that you're struggling to make the transition from GCSE to AS during the first few months. It's been mentioned that Physics at AS is a lot tougher in comparison to GCSE. I did really well at GCSE Physics and began the AS year getting E's and D's: just be prepared to potentially find yourself struggling, but remember that working hard gets you results.

And most importantly, do as much as you can throughout the year consistently without leaving revision to the last few months before exam season. 4-6 hours each week per subject outside of time spent at college/sixth form/wherever you are studying is enough to make sure that you keep on top of things. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Spend some time going over that GCSE stuff that you feel you did badly at..... strangely enough, all the subjects you are teaching build on the work done at GCSE, better be catching up NOW rather than as you go along!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending