The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Anybody fancy hitting zante for either of the last 2 weeks of july for some serious drinking and partying

Facebook me darren grady if interested
Reply 181
Booking my one way flight to the south of France soon. Avignon here I come! :france:

If anyone has ever been to Avignon/the surrounding area, PM me and tell me all about it! I'm moving there in 2 months and just don't know what to expect! So excited.
(edited 11 years ago)
I love travelling alone and I love solo loaded cycle touring. I'm thinking about cycling to Dover, getting a ferry to Calais and cycling to Amsterdam.
I went to Hamburg on my own for a week in February and I got some funny reactions when I mentioned it to friends but I definitely think that travelling on my own forces me to interact with my surroundings in a way I wouldn't if I was in a group. I'll be probably go back to Germany if I don't end up doing the cycle tour.
Original post by ReformatMe
I love travelling alone and I love solo loaded cycle touring. I'm thinking about cycling to Dover, getting a ferry to Calais and cycling to Amsterdam.
I went to Hamburg on my own for a week in February and I got some funny reactions when I mentioned it to friends but I definitely think that travelling on my own forces me to interact with my surroundings in a way I wouldn't if I was in a group. I'll be probably go back to Germany if I don't end up doing the cycle tour.

Where did you stay in Hamburg? In a hotel or hostel??
I've just moved in to my flat in BAngkok. crazy place. don't really know anyone yet and start work tomorrow... lets see what will happen
Original post by .Scout.
Booking my one way flight to the south of France soon. Avignon here I come! :france:

If anyone has ever been to Avignon/the surrounding area, PM me and tell me all about it! I'm moving there in 2 months and just don't know what to expect! So excited.

Did the first part of my YA in Avignon :p: What do you want to know?
Original post by bloomblaze
Where did you stay in Hamburg? In a hotel or hostel??

I stayed at a hostel in a large dorm, Meininger. During weekdays it was less than €8 a night, less than 5 minutes from Altona train station which you can get to directly from the airport.
Original post by ReformatMe
I stayed at a hostel in a large dorm, Meininger. During weekdays it was less than €8 a night, less than 5 minutes from Altona train station which you can get to directly from the airport.

Wasnt it dead awkward staying in a room full of strangers? Were you concerned about safety?

I am considering visiting Berlin this summer; I have no one to go with so if I do go it will be a trip alone.

im debating whether or not to stay in a hostel or cheap hotel if I do go. Im almost certain that a cheap hotel is my best option.
Reply 188
Wasnt it dead awkward staying in a room full of strangers? Were you concerned about safety?

I am considering visiting Berlin this summer; I have no one to go with so if I do go it will be a trip alone.

im debating whether or not to stay in a hostel or cheap hotel if I do go. Im almost certain that a cheap hotel is my best option.

You'd meet more people if you went to a hostel, and potentially find people to go out with and visit places with.
I stayed in a hostel in Berlin last year and it was pretty awesome.

Unless of course you'd prefer a bit of privacy and rather explore on your own, it depends on what you think would be more fun!

For the most part it was a rewarding experience. I became good friends with another traveler who I am now penpals with, went out to find dinner with another. Other lone travellers are often more sociable than groups.
It was a safe environment and I never felt uncomfortable despite its size but I still kept precautions. I had my passport, room key and bank notes strapped to my chest even while sleeping.

I never travel with unnecessary valuables (Leave my smartphone at home, take old brick etc) but that's personal preference. The particular hostel had a secure storage room.
So i'm thinking of fitting in some travelling between the last of my a2 exams next year, and results day (i considered staying over results day, but the stress of not knowing what to do if you missed your Uni offer whilst your in a different country stresses me out!) and am considering going with Raleigh, just because the timing suits me just fine (but it looks intense!) and gap-medics, which would actually be pro-active in terms of career, but actually i'm a bit sick of being so med-focused all the time, i want to show other qualities and interests if i'm in the position where I have to reapply over a gap year and need to draw from my experiences. What do you guys reckon? If I had a bit more time i'd go with lattitude or project trust or something but I really don't, so my main issue is time.

I've been thinking about a working holiday too - New Zealand would be LAVELY, but i'd only be going for around a month, who employs people for a month?! Or Australia. Camp America runs 1 week too long unfortunately, or i'd have snapped that up too. *sigh* timing timing timing.

Has anyone had any experience with any of the companies mentioned, and is a working holiday in australia really as easy as they make it sound?
Original post by .Scout.

One way ticket. Plan on living there for good? Or are you just testing it out and will more than likely move back to England in 6-12 months? Also, I'm assuming you have a job lined up?
Reply 192
Original post by Converse
One way ticket. Plan on living there for good? Or are you just testing it out and will more than likely move back to England in 6-12 months? Also, I'm assuming you have a job lined up?

I'm going for my year abroad so not for good...yet!
I have a job lined up working in a school. It's only 12 hours a week teaching English but it'll leave me with plenty of time to explore the country (and even Spain/Italy...) and for me to brush up on my French. I'm pretty excited :colondollar:.
Original post by .Scout.
I'm going for my year abroad so not for good...yet!
I have a job lined up working in a school. It's only 12 hours a week teaching English but it'll leave me with plenty of time to explore the country (and even Spain/Italy...) and for me to brush up on my French. I'm pretty excited :colondollar:.

Cool. Have fun!

Heard some pretty good things about France.
I've always wanted to travel around Germany and Poland, but don't think any of my friends would be interested, so am thinking of going alone next summer. Never been alone before, what are some pros and cons and what is the general experience like? Also how expensive is it for say a month or two?
Spending a year working in Belgium as part of my course, hoping to be able to have some time off to travel around Europe a bit. May have to do it on my own though and I'm a bit scared :tongue:
After Univeristy is over, I plan on going travelling around the world. Non of my friends want to come go travelling so I guess for the start of the trip at least I'll be on my own. Any handy tips for a female travelling alone? I've heard there's certain places I should avoid on my own?
Original post by EmilyStevens
After Univeristy is over, I plan on going travelling around the world. Non of my friends want to come go travelling so I guess for the start of the trip at least I'll be on my own. Any handy tips for a female travelling alone? I've heard there's certain places I should avoid on my own?

If you're alone, avoid a lot of places in the middle east and the more dangerous African countries.
How are you funding yourself? When you say "around the world", do you mean literally everywhere?
Original post by Emaemmaemily
If you're alone, avoid a lot of places in the middle east and the more dangerous African countries.
How are you funding yourself? When you say "around the world", do you mean literally everywhere?

Yeah those were the kind of places I was thinking. Maybe not everywhere that would take a while, but I want to travel somewhere in each continent. I plan on working my way around the world, teaching english, bar work stuff like that. But then I've also got money saved up for it. How much do you reckon is a good about of money to go with?
Original post by EmilyStevens
Yeah those were the kind of places I was thinking. Maybe not everywhere that would take a while, but I want to travel somewhere in each continent. I plan on working my way around the world, teaching english, bar work stuff like that. But then I've also got money saved up for it. How much do you reckon is a good about of money to go with?

I have no idea. I certainly don't have that kind of money, so perhaps someone who has done it can give you an idea.

Quick Reply

Latest