The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm going to be hitchhiking/backpacking across Europe from last week in July to first week in September - no real plans. The best way to travel imo :biggrin:
Original post by getreadygetset
Hi everyone

I am thinking of going to South America over August by myself for my elective. I was thinking of going from Brazil through to Bolivia and finally finish in Peru.
Was just wondering if anyone has done anything similar to this before or better yet if anyone is going at the same time!

I will be travelling from Brazil to Peru, (whilst going through chile, argentina and bolivia) It will be from Feb-June this year,
I absolutely can't wait to go, I leave in 13days to Rio for Carnival!
I would like to go on an Australian Working Holiday, but raising the money is hard. It's really difficult to find much paid work in the UK :frown:
Reply 83
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I would like to go on an Australian Working Holiday, but raising the money is hard. It's really difficult to find much paid work in the UK :frown:

Keep at it. Look for jobs that you wouldn't normally look for/want to do. You may end up doing a job you don't like but ultimately you only need £3000 (exc flights) to be allowed entry to Aus with a WHV. Living very frugally you could save this in 2-4 months.
Original post by Olibert
Keep at it. Look for jobs that you wouldn't normally look for/want to do. You may end up doing a job you don't like but ultimately you only need £3000 (exc flights) to be allowed entry to Aus with a WHV. Living very frugally you could save this in 2-4 months.

At the moment I only get £213.80 a month of JSA, most of which I have to spend on transport and other bits and bobs, and more recently I also have a casual job that pays about £200 a month. I think my JSA might go down soon though because of my new job, and then at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if a few years went by before I could even reach £3000 :frown:. But yeah, I have no choice but to keep searching for jobs, but damn it is difficult.
Original post by shezshez
I'm going to be hitchhiking/backpacking across Europe from last week in July to first week in September - no real plans. The best way to travel imo :biggrin:

I'm planning on something similar! Where you thinking of starting?
Reply 86
Original post by pizzle223
I'm planning on something similar! Where you thinking of starting?

Well my house. I'll walk to a main road, then try and hitch a lift somewhere. :biggrin: Probably head towards Dover, buy a ferry ticket, and hitchhike wherever. No real plans, adds to the excitement. I hate having rigid plans, just see what comes up, and chill out.

You got any serious plans then? :smile:
Well my house. I'll walk to a main road, then try and hitch a lift somewhere. :biggrin: Probably head towards Dover, buy a ferry ticket, and hitchhike wherever. No real plans, adds to the excitement. I hate having rigid plans, just see what comes up, and chill out.

You got any serious plans then? :smile:

Wasn't planning as much hitchhiking as you I don't think. I had more trains in mind.. and the amount of time I go for.. I can't really judge right now as I'm not sure of how much money I'll get. And I've applied for a couple jobs in Amsterdam.. for obvious reason (although I can't imagine I'll get 'em). So I've basically got **** all planned other than to save some money!
Reply 88
Yeah, you see - I would spend money on the inter-rail ticket, but it seems very expensive to me, for what you get. I quite like travelling by train, but it doesn't really get you involved with the country, if that makes sense. Hitchhiking/couchsurfing, you have stories to share and meet some wonderful people, i've not met any creeps/axe-wielding maniacs that my parents and everyone else seems to think are in abundance.

Yeah, you see - I would spend money on the inter-rail ticket, but it seems very expensive to me, for what you get. I quite like travelling by train, but it doesn't really get you involved with the country, if that makes sense. Hitchhiking/couchsurfing, you have stories to share and meet some wonderful people, i've not met any creeps/axe-wielding maniacs that my parents and everyone else seems to think are in abundance.

Well my origonal plan was to be traveling america, but it's all gonna be costing too much so that's out the window. Compared to the usa I thought the inter-rail ticket was pretty cheep! I think I'm gonna get one of those for a month and hopefully finished in Amsterdam, then stay there as long as possible blowing any money I have left on the fruits of Amsterdam, if you know what I mean
Reply 90
Original post by drakesdrum

I'd certainly recommend perhaps going from Beijing into Mongolia then onto Irkutsk and then head back east to Vladivostok and onto Japan that way. Harbin is amazing in the winter with the ice festival but since you're going in summer I'd definitely look at Mongolia if I were you. Again, it takes a bit of planning to get the train tickets ordered etc but it would be well worth it. The Mongolian authorities have gone a bit crazy with visas now as well though but it's ok.

Ridiculously delayed response... sorry!

This was the route I was planning on taking actually :smile: Given that it is half the price to travel to Beijing from London than to Vladivostok I thought I'd do this route. Sounds like you've done something similar/have lots of knowledge on this! How so with the Mongolian authorities?
Reply 91
I accepted the fact that no one in my friend groups like to travel, so I always do it alone these days and I'm fine with that :tongue:

Anyone need a travel buddy? Let me know what your plans are and I could maybe tag along :smile: Plans for this year is Europe trip and Oktoberfest later in the year.
Tasmania is a must if you're in Australia. A lot of backpackers/travellers seem to ignore it, but I took a gamble in coming here and I've fallen in love with the place in a week.
Reply 93
I love this society! :woo:

I'm really fond of traveling, so many places I want to see, but I've always been held back by the lack of travel partners...my closest girl friends are not much into it, or travel with their boyfriends, and my male friends, well let's just say that it's complicated :rolleyes: I hoped I could do some traveling with my own bf, but.

So here I go! I've decided I'll travel alone, under false pretenses (study/work). That way I don't have to explain and also will have sth fun to do :biggrin:

I want to travel to Germany (asap)...who has already been there and has some advice? :smile:
Original post by Ciccina
I love this society! :woo:

I'm really fond of traveling, so many places I want to see, but I've always been held back by the lack of travel partners...my closest girl friends are not much into it, or travel with their boyfriends, and my male friends, well let's just say that it's complicated :rolleyes: I hoped I could do some traveling with my own bf, but.

So here I go! I've decided I'll travel alone, under false pretenses (study/work). That way I don't have to explain and also will have sth fun to do :biggrin:

I want to travel to Germany (asap)...who has already been there and has some advice? :smile:

not Germany, but Austria, which was awesome.

I too would like to go to Germany, Bravaria in particular. Mostly for the beer which is ****ing amazing. So if you go, do not leave without at least drinking a pint of beer. I'm planning on heading there at the end of August should I have the funds after various other summer trips/projects and unfortunatly the stupid ****ing rent.

You should go in the summer, but then agian, thats just me...
I am travelling through Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Dubai in April/May.

I today wrote down everything I want to see/get a video of, and for most countries I wrote down nearly 20 things!

I will save Indonesia, Cambodia, and Myanmar for next year!
Reply 96
Is anyone considering the Interrail?
Original post by LoouuReeed

I'm going interrailing alone in August :smile: Mainly doing Eastern Europe (starting in Krakow)
Reply 98
alone??? that s really good, a beautiful experience!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell everything here!! Will you go to Russia?
Original post by LoouuReeed

I'm inter-railing this summer too!

Starting in Seville, Spain then Madrid, Barcelona, somehow to Rome (possibly via Sardinia), Florence/Pisa, Venice, Budapest/Vienna/Bratislava, Krakow, Prague, Berlin and finally Amsterdam!

At least thats the rough plan at the moment :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest