The Student Room Group

The Lone Traveller's Base / TSR Travel Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Revent
Hey guys. I'm going on a gap year and I've got a job starting from July until the end of December which should net me around £10k as well as some generous 'charity' from my dad :p: I just have NO idea what to do or where to go, etc.. A bit lost and any ideas would be great. I'm actually applying to medical school so I also don't want to be away during the interview season.

Anyone?
Original post by Revent
Anyone?

Well do you have ANY idea of places you would like to go? :smile: You could certainly go to a few places with that budget! Have you thought about something revolving around your course....?
Has anyone completed a TEFL course and taught english abroad for a few weeks? Can anyone recommend me the best websites to look at etc, where to go? :smile:
Reply 143
Original post by Revent
Anyone?

All over the world with that budget. You could travel for 10 months.

Original post by senator88
Has anyone completed a TEFL course and taught english abroad for a few weeks? Can anyone recommend me the best websites to look at etc, where to go? :smile:

CELTA is the qualification that is highly sought after by foreign schools in places like South Korea, China, Japan etc...
Original post by Revent
Anyone?

I'm moving to Bangkok with work for a year so definately reccomend there as its dirt cheap mostly!
Original post by Tucking Fypo
:rofl2: finally somebody responds. :angry:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for it. Decided to cut the other cities and just do Paris-Bruges-Amsterdam. No way would I have had a feel for every city in my original plan.

I did hear about the wifi going out once you near France but that doesn't bother me. You get what you pay for really.

I'd say you get more than what you pay for! I spent ages trying to work out how they could possibly make money with the prices they charge and I'm absolutely baffled by it!
Original post by Revent
Anyone?

You could do soo many things! what do you want to do? Where do you want to see? what do you enjoy?
Reply 147
Original post by pizzle223
You could do soo many things! what do you want to do? Where do you want to see? what do you enjoy?

Original post by lcsurfer
I'm moving to Bangkok with work for a year so definately reccomend there as its dirt cheap mostly!

Original post by Olibert
All over the world with that budget. You could travel for 10 months.

Original post by senator88
Well do you have ANY idea of places you would like to go? :smile: You could certainly go to a few places with that budget! Have you thought about something revolving around your course....?

Thanks for the response! Honestly speaking, I have NO idea where I want to go (apart from the one place below) :erm: I've never actually travelled alone before so this is going to be quite a big jump for me. Regarding something with my course, I am applying for Medicine, so I was thinking of volunteering somewhere at a hospital or something. I'm getting something planned for that though although any ideas would be great!!

Since the last post, I've been reading around and I think India would be a pretty nice place to visit! I've looked into it and hopefully should be able to get something sorted out for that. But all other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!! :smile:
Reply 148
Original post by Revent
Thanks for the response! Honestly speaking, I have NO idea where I want to go (apart from the one place below) :erm: I've never actually travelled alone before so this is going to be quite a big jump for me. Regarding something with my course, I am applying for Medicine, so I was thinking of volunteering somewhere at a hospital or something. I'm getting something planned for that though although any ideas would be great!!

Since the last post, I've been reading around and I think India would be a pretty nice place to visit! I've looked into it and hopefully should be able to get something sorted out for that. But all other suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!! :smile:

I remember reading about hospital volunteers. In general you have to be qualified to help out in a hospital, even abroad. If you've already been accepted to do medicine, don't worry about the volunteering. Just go out there and enjoy yourself.
Original post by Revent

This summer will be my first time travelling alone too! I'm interrailing Europe :biggrin:
I think this is a good place to start as it's relatively safe and shouldn't possess too many problems. Have you thought about that? It's not too expensive either!
Reply 150
This summer will be my first time travelling alone too! I'm interrailing Europe :biggrin:
I think this is a good place to start as it's relatively safe and shouldn't possess too many problems. Have you thought about that? It's not too expensive either!

Ah, lucky, I had a plan to do that this summer actually (but not alone, with some stupid ***** I used to go out with and a bunch of other friends) But obviously, the used to is the key bit here :p: Plus, I have a job during the time I planned to go anyways :laugh: I think I'm going to save the possibility of interrailing sometime in the future though because it's so close and accessible whereas going somewhere like India would require commitment and a lot of time and planning
Original post by Revent
Ah, lucky, I had a plan to do that this summer actually (but not alone, with some stupid ***** I used to go out with and a bunch of other friends) But obviously, the used to is the key bit here :p: Plus, I have a job during the time I planned to go anyways :laugh: I think I'm going to save the possibility of interrailing sometime in the future though because it's so close and accessible whereas going somewhere like India would require commitment and a lot of time and planning

Yeah I get what you mean, I'm thinking of traveling India in 2 years time. I want to do the classic SE Asia route next summer over 3 months.
Reply 152
Yeah I get what you mean, I'm thinking of traveling India in 2 years time. I want to do the classic SE Asia route next summer over 3 months.

what's the SE Asia route?
I've not got a route actually planned, but from Thailand through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam
anybody been to Russia or on the Trans-siberian by any chance and got any tips to share ? :smile:
Reply 155
I've not got a route actually planned, but from Thailand through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam

Ah right, that seems pretty interesting! Seems really cool :yep:
I'm now offically moving to Bangkok at the start of July, ill be there for at least a year... so let me know if anyone wants to meet up :smile:
I'm going to York and Scotland by myself next week.
Reply 158
I'd say you get more than what you pay for! I spent ages trying to work out how they could possibly make money with the prices they charge and I'm absolutely baffled by it!

The cost goes up the closer to the time it is so I guess those people subsidise the people with £1 seats :p:
The coach wasn't even half full.. and I spoke to a few people and nobody paid more than £12! Including 3 guys that booked it the night before!

Quick Reply

Latest