The Student Room Group

E-Petition to ban the EDL receives over 5000 signatures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Chav Princess
I didn't neg you.

I don't know enough about Hisb ut-Tahrir to comment too much, but I just heard they incited terrorism.

My apologies for accusing you then, your majesty. :colondollar:
Reply 41
Haven't voted on here as I find it kind of hard to come to a decision...I would love it if the EDL were banned but other groups aren't banned and I find it hard to agree with a government being able to keep the groups they like and ban the groups they disagree with....because if that were the case they could use that in their favour and not have any groups that were gonna cause them trouble.
Reply 42
Original post by B-Man.
[Edit] You are just going to neg me without even providing a reason 'Chav Princess?' [/Edit]

lol. I'm sure you'd never do such a thing...
Reply 43
Another sign of trying to shut down an anti-Islam voice. It will not succeed.
Reply 44
Original post by slacker07906
What is the EDL? A national meeting for the alcoholics of the UK to indulge in violent racism? I think so.

A group founded because people were angry about Crazy muslims ruining the homecoming of death soldiers from Afghanistan.
Reply 45
5,000? So the equivalent of a street in Bradford? Wow.
The EDL have as much a right to existg as any other lobbying group.

That said, I doubt there was much uproar when Islam4UK was banned.

:yawn: Sick of this attitude that we can 'ban' our problems away. We need to bring these people into the discussion and stop tiptoing around these issues.
Wouldn't see the point. It would be a violation of freedom of speech, and it would just force the EDL underground.
Reply 48
Link.

Pros of banning the EDL:

- Prevents the violence and public disorder which notoriously erupts at EDL protests.

- Tackles hatred from the section of the EDL membership who are against all Muslims, not just extremists.

- Cuts costs to the policing of EDL demonstrations.

Perceived cons of banning the EDL:

- An attack on freedom of speech and freedom of association.

- Could be construed as the Government banning a group because they disagree with their ideology and beliefs. Slippery slope?

- Removing the only street movement to stand up to Islamic extremism.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, playing devil's advocate a bit here. But really - I am torn. I can see the benefits and less hassle which would result from a ban, but looking at the bigger picture - would it be in a slap in the face to freedom of expression and stuff? Would they just go underground?

Once in 1970's i guess a ruler banned prostitution but couldnt implement in whole country as it was a corrupt state. result there were raids in commercial capital city to stop prostitution so the prostitutes went underground and spread in the whole city making every town of that city a gutter, whereas the other city which was cultural capital there were no raids so the filth stayed at one place and the rest of the city clean.

You are spot on there chav princess. They shouldnt be banned. they will go underground and spread
Original post by Kibalchich
How did Labour do that?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5621482.ece

Labour's open door immigration policy has led to the large increase in the number of Muslims, and when you combine this with the policy of multiculturalism which has encouraged Muslims NOT to integrate this has led to serious social problems.

Groups like the EDL are merely a reaction to these idiotic policies, so if you want someone to blame for militant Islam in the UK then blame Labour.
Original post by B-Man.
Hisb ut-Tahrir condemned both 9/11 and 7/7 as un-Islamic terrorist attacks. The U.S. government, according to the Global Security thinktank, "has found no clear ties between Hizb ut-Tahrir and terrorist activity."

They say alot of despicable things, but they cannot be linked to terrorism. I hold the position that banning groups which espouse views like Hizb ut-Tahrir is counter-productive. They simply go underground with less public debate that could serve to counter the propaganda they pedal. This is a view held by Majid Nawaaz (ex-Hisb ut-Tahrir leading member who now works for a counter-extremist think tank) and many other experts.

[Edit] You are just going to neg me without even providing a reason 'Chav Princess?' [/Edit]

Hizb ut-Tahrir may not be linked to terrorism but that doesn't mean they are benign, quite the opposite.

Given that they want to establish a Caliphate where non-Muslims and women are second class citizens, they really are nothing more than the Islamic version of the Nazi party.
If we ban them then they will only drum up more people who are sympathatic to their cause, and it would be hypocritical.

Better the Devil you know.
Reply 52
Original post by Grim_the_Reaper
Hizb ut-Tahrir may not be linked to terrorism but that doesn't mean they are benign, quite the opposite.

Given that they want to establish a Caliphate where non-Muslims and women are second class citizens, they really are nothing more than the Islamic version of the Nazi party.

I stated that they say despicable things.
Link.

Pros of banning the EDL:

Perceived cons of banning the EDL:

If you want a fully representative poll result you should add the word 'Perceived' before the pros section as at the moment it's a little leading.

My personal view is that there is nothing to be gained by banning organisations like this. You can kill the singer but not the song - they'll reform into another group and they'll simply have more ammunition to claim that free speech is being attacked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by Grim_the_Reaper
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5621482.ece

Labour's open door immigration policy has led to the large increase in the number of Muslims, and when you combine this with the policy of multiculturalism which has encouraged Muslims NOT to integrate this has led to serious social problems.

Groups like the EDL are merely a reaction to these idiotic policies, so if you want someone to blame for militant Islam in the UK then blame Labour.

What did Labour specifically do - in terms of laws and policies enacted?
wow over 25% of TSR hate freedom.
Reply 56
Pfft, they'd just set up the Defence of England League or something, and this time they'd have some real ammunition that people with Muslim sounding names want to eradicate free speech and freedom of association.
Reply 57
HUH. *grunts with derision at this ghastly proposal*
Reply 58
Yeah...look at the name of the person who started it.....

No, of course they should not be banned.

I bet most who signed it are not English, and not white.

Quick Reply

Latest