The Student Room Group

Are these A level subjects ok?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fishfan01
(Sorry, just read this - I have more to say!) Psychology is actually a very accepted A level now, it's on the Oxbridge accepted list of A levels etc, which I really wish I had accepted before I did my ASs, as I'm absolutely positive I would have really enjoyed it and found it SO MUCH easier than physics.

Also, if you take all 5 at the start of term (not counting CT), you can very easily drop one if you hate it/it's too much work. Although I must say that it is far more important to do well in your main 3+AS than to stretch yourself too thin.

And as for CT, you should be aware that it's dire, but it takes up very little time, and is reasonably easy. I'm not sure exactly what the BMAT/UKCAT tests entail, but I've heard that the exam is practically identical to the LNAT that you do for law, which is why I did it.

Again, good luck! :smile:

thanks.:thumbsup:. i i might not do psychology though. i dont think i will do very well in it when compared to physics. i will take all of them at the start of the term and drop one if i dont like it. that seems like a really good plan and its my best option. dod critical thinking really help you for your LNAT? BMAT is a lot like that and i hope it helps me
I'm thinking about doing

geography
Law
Business Studies
Accountancy.

what do you reckon?
Reply 42
Original post by alexandrafierce
Was thinking of doing psychology instead of physics but i heard it is not considered a strong A Level subject by universities. why did you say i shouldn't do six? do you think its too much of a work load or is there another reason? i am planning on doing 6 just for AS will drop one or two when i am starting A2. i want to do critical thinking because i heard it helps BMAT/UKCAT. i have tried taking those exams (or something similar) online and i have come to the conclusion that i am going to need all the help i can get.

If it was me, I would think that doing 6 AS modules would be too mcu hof a work load as I am not very good with time management. If it were up to me I would spend the time that I needed to study for the 6th AS, in a voluntary work placement. But that's just me. I know for a fact that girls (I'm assuming you are one, based on your user sign) are much better and more focused/dedicated when it comes to organisation.

With regards to Psychology, I would say that it is still accepted and probabily takes a bit less effort to achieve the same grade as physic, but whatever you're strongest at, do that since physics ties in nicely with mathematics if you take mechanics option.

Coming to the point about critical thinking, I do know that its good to do it in order to improve your skills but I have seen, too many people not achieving good grades as they could not spendthe right amount of time, same goes with it's other counterpart General Studies. I took UKCAT twice, and I think its good to learn about the strategies of answering questions as such, but there are books on how to do/improve IQ quiz scores which ties in well with the abstract reasoning and decision analysis. Verbal reasoning, you just have to be very good at english and I think you'd be ok, since it was pretty much like my GCSE exam, reading a passage and answering questions in relation to that. Quantitative, you just have to do loads of maths questions just to get quicker. I suggest you download the example papers and have a go. It will give you an indication of whether you need to do critical thinking or not. Good scores are possible. Mine was a bit skewed (and ironic) but I scored;
1st time Verbal 620, Q- 690, Abstract 540, Decision 650
2nd time Verbal 650, Q- 850, Abstract 610, Decision 540

My point is , anything is possible with

TL;DR. Do physics if you like it, you don't need critical thinking, do 6 AS if you are organised enough and can fit work ex, around this much work.
Reply 43
Original post by Vip3rgt9
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but does anyone do A level Physics here?
Everyone says that it's really hard, but the maths in it isnt, so what's the hard bit?

You have it all wrong, I did it and I got a solid B. Trust me the maths you do in physics is so complex that you won't have learnt it yet in maths or further maths, haha I love that subject....
Original post by moesy
If it was me, I would think that doing 6 AS modules would be too mcu hof a work load as I am not very good with time management. If it were up to me I would spend the time that I needed to study for the 6th AS, in a voluntary work placement. But that's just me. I know for a fact that girls (I'm assuming you are one, based on your user sign) are much better and more focused/dedicated when it comes to organisation.

With regards to Psychology, I would say that it is still accepted and probabily takes a bit less effort to achieve the same grade as physic, but whatever you're strongest at, do that since physics ties in nicely with mathematics if you take mechanics option.

Coming to the point about critical thinking, I do know that its good to do it in order to improve your skills but I have seen, too many people not achieving good grades as they could not spendthe right amount of time, same goes with it's other counterpart General Studies. I took UKCAT twice, and I think its good to learn about the strategies of answering questions as such, but there are books on how to do/improve IQ quiz scores which ties in well with the abstract reasoning and decision analysis. Verbal reasoning, you just have to be very good at english and I think you'd be ok, since it was pretty much like my GCSE exam, reading a passage and answering questions in relation to that. Quantitative, you just have to do loads of maths questions just to get quicker. I suggest you download the example papers and have a go. It will give you an indication of whether you need to do critical thinking or not. Good scores are possible. Mine was a bit skewed (and ironic) but I scored;
1st time Verbal 620, Q- 690, Abstract 540, Decision 650
2nd time Verbal 650, Q- 850, Abstract 610, Decision 540

My point is , anything is possible with

TL;DR. Do physics if you like it, you don't need critical thinking, do 6 AS if you are organised enough and can fit work ex, around this much work.

if there is one thing i am good at, its time management. besides i have handled worse so i am good to go. in paper, 6 is okay for me. will see when i start. i have a phrase that i live by 'if i am going to use my time to do something, the least i can do is do it well'. really worried about the whole BMAT/UKCAT thing. examples of the exam papers are really hard to find. if you have any links please send to me :please::puppyeyes:. would have done psychology but if i dont do well in..i dont know chemistry or biology, then i will need physics as a back up. thanks for your help.:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45

if there is one thing i am good at, its time management. besides i have handled worse so i am good to go. in paper 6 is okay for me. will see when i start. i have a phrase that i live by 'if i am going to use my time to do something, the least i can do is do it well'. really worried about the whole BMAT/UKCAT thing. example papers are really hard to find. if you have any links please send to me :please::puppyeyes:. would have done psychology but if i dont do well in..i dont know chemistr or biology, then i will need physics as a back up. thanks for your help.:smile:

Hi, with regards to ukcat you can go to their website and download a program which has the practice test. On the same page you can download the PDF answers as well.
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/pages/details.aspx?page=practiceQuestions

I've also asked around. a friend of mine has some which he said will send. If I get them, will definitely give you the link.

Don't worry about the BMAT/UKCAT. Just dedicate an hour a week to each of 4 sections. For Quantitative, just get hold of maths exercises and keep doing them until your good at it. For Verbal reasoning, you need the ability to skim read passages and find the answers. For decision and Abstract, I think the best thing you can do is get a hold of these IQ test type books and keep doing the exercises. The more you do, the better you become at strategising your answering method. You can even do it on the bus to college.

As to BMAT, I've not done it, so not really sure about it.

Anyhow good luck with everything.
It only takes about a week to prepare really well for UKCAT so I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've heard the 600q book is great for it, I used KAPLAN which was very good in my opinion, just do like 5-10 practice papers, remember it is an aptitude test so you really are only practising timing and technique and you seem like you are more than capable of it. :smile:
Original post by ping the lol.
It only takes about a week to prepare really well for UKCAT so I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've heard the 600q book is great for it, I used KAPLAN which was very good in my opinion, just do like 5-10 practice papers, remember it is an aptitude test so you really are only practising timing and technique and you seem like you are more than capable of it. :smile:

thanks. a lot of friends have recommended kaplan. wont buy one now though. they update their books like every year. will buy one early/mid next year (if the world hasn't ended yet:colone:)
Reply 48
Original post by moesy

Original post by moesy
If I were you, I would do A-Level Art and A-level Media. if your school doesn't have them. Switch. Its not too late.

Why not do Graphic design, History instead of media.

All vocational courses should be avoided if you want to go to university.

I might switch schools! Do I ask the teachers to help me switch?:\
Reply 49
Original post by Lonelyone

Original post by Lonelyone
I might switch schools! Do I ask the teachers to help me switch?:\

First find the schools and contact them yourself (or your parents). see if you can get anywhere, if not then get the school involved. If you had offers from other sixth form/colleges I think you are within a good chance of getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest