The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Go suited. Take your tie on and off as needed.

You might find the open day and the interview happen at very different times.

You should be able to rearrange the date of the interview if there is a clash.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
rajivdn
Yes tell me about it. If you go to formal you look like an idiot if you go too casual you look like an idiot. Dont know what to doo.

What have you applied for at Kings?

I've applied for Maths and the Philosophy Of Maths MSci

I'm going to have to cancel my interview on the first of Feb because I've already accepted a Kings Open Day on the same day, but does anyone think this is a silly idea..everyone else keeps telling me to go to the UCL interview, because I've already got an offer from Kings, but declining the interview won't ruin my chances of getting an offer will it? If I go to the UCL interview on the first of Feb, I'll probably mess it up- its too soon after my last exam, and I won't have time to finish reading all these mathematics-related books I've said I've read in my PS...just in case I get asked something about them.. :redface:
Reply 22
PennyRoyalTea
I won't have time to finish reading all these mathematics-related books I've said I've read in my PS...just in case I get asked something about them.. :redface:

:biggrin: :dancing2: :biggrin:
Dude, seriously, I'm screwed ..
Reply 24
PennyRoyalTea
I've applied for Maths and the Philosophy Of Maths MSci

I'm going to have to cancel my interview on the first of Feb because I've already accepted a Kings Open Day on the same day, but does anyone think this is a silly idea..everyone else keeps telling me to go to the UCL interview, because I've already got an offer from Kings, but declining the interview won't ruin my chances of getting an offer will it? If I go to the UCL interview on the first of Feb, I'll probably mess it up- its too soon after my last exam, and I won't have time to finish reading all these mathematics-related books I've said I've read in my PS...just in case I get asked something about them.. :redface:

So you lied in your personal statement?
N9ne
So you lied in your personal statement?

At the time the PS was written, I'm sure the candidate believed they would read the texts in time.

(...very few people actually understand or take a view on texts they read...)

And many people lie on their PS. I think you know that as well as I do. The proceedures to check the accuracy of a PS are limited (interviews and short and there aren't many), the penalities for lying are low.
Reply 26
President_Ben
At the time the PS was written, I'm sure the candidate believed they would read the texts in time.

(...very few people actually understand or take a view on texts they read...)

And many people lie on their PS. I think you know that as well as I do. The proceedures to check the accuracy of a PS are limited (interviews and short and there aren't many), the penalities for lying are low.
True, but when a personal statement is so short, it's also quite easy not to lie. I had many things to say and couldn't even fit half of them in - there's no need to lie.
N9ne
True, but when a personal statement is so short, it's also quite easy not to lie. I had many things to say and couldn't even fit half of them in - there's no need to lie.

Some people are really sad and don't have a life. For them, the prospect of writing 40+ lines on why they want to do something and who they are is very hard and lying is easier.

Some lies are possible even when you do have have a life to talk about. Changing 'silver' to 'gold' for example.
N9ne
So you lied in your personal statement? http://thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif

N-no, I skim read all the books i wrote about in my personal statement, take one-'The music of the primes', however, I wanted to include it because I watched a documentary on tv which did actually interest me immensely..

'I also thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Music Of The Primes' and was especially intrigued, by ........... I found the unexpected connections in mathematics and how ............... intellectually stimulating'

so its not really lying, I'm just guilty of accidentally-on-purpose replacing reading with watching..

forgive me, for I have sinned
N9ne
So you lied in your personal statement? http://thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif

N-no, I skim read all the books i wrote about in my personal statement, take one-'The music of the primes', however, I wanted to include it because I watched a documentary on tv about it, which did actually interest me immensely..

'I also thoroughly enjoyed reading 'The Music Of The Primes' and was especially intrigued, by ........... I found the unexpected connections in mathematics and how ............... intellectually stimulating'

so its not really lying, I'm just guilty of accidentally-on-purpose replacing watching with reading..

forgive me, for I have sinned :eek:
Reply 30
PennyRoyalTea, lets just hope no one from LSE reads this :top:
jb_sweden

Ah Dammit, do you think the admissions tutors have disguised tsr accounts..ah well like it doesn't matter, like I said..its hardly lying...fractionally distorting the truth -perhaps :rolleyes:
jb_sweden

Ah Dammit, do you think the admissions tutors have disguised tsr accounts..ah well, doesn't matter, like I said..its hardly lying...fractionally distorting the truth -perhaps :rolleyes:
Reply 33
PennyRoyalTea
Ah Dammit, do you think the admissions tutors have disguised tsr accounts..ah well, doesn't matter, like I said..its hardly lying...fractionally distorting the truth -perhaps :rolleyes:

KHOTARI!!! :rolleyes:

hehe... anyway, if ur interview is with Mr Bowles, [i hope mine is as that is whose name was on the letter], then there is nothing to worry.

That guy is safeee, as i met him at the UCL interview practise, and actually had a mock interview with him, and he asked me to differentiate

e^(x^2)

silly me at the time hadnt learnt that yet :confused: , so i couldnt answer it lol!
Hey, I'm no female donkey ...

I think I might have had Mr Bowles today actually I'm not sure, but it was this really cool/weird Russian dude..who was really nice to me (and he did say I'm the head of the maths department not the stats department), he asked me to differentiate e^-x^2, and then asked me some more complicated stuff, but he kept saying excellent and at the end he shook my hand and said your obviously very good I have nothing else to ask you, congratulations!(I;m hoping that means I have an offer)..and its not like i did amazingly well either..I did say 'erm I'm afraid I haven't been taught that' a few times...so yea basically, if you have Mr Bowles you'll be fine
Reply 35
PennyRoyalTea
Hey, I'm no female donkey ...

I think I might have had Mr Bowles today actually I'm not sure, but it was this really cool/weird Russian dude..who was really nice to me (and he did say I'm the head of the maths department not the stats department), he asked me to differentiate e^-x^2, and then asked me some more complicated stuff, but he kept saying excellent and at the end he shook my hand and said your obviously very good I have nothing else to ask you, congratulations!(I;m hoping that means I have an offer)..and its not like i did amazingly well either..I did say 'erm I'm afraid I haven't been taught that' a few times...so yea basically, if you have Mr Bowles you'll be fine

Well done then :smile:

Just wondering, do you take f maths and are you predicited AAA?
...Take Futher Maths AS, predicted AAAa (.. applied for Maths and Stats, not Economics)
Reply 37
PennyRoyalTea
...Take Futher Maths AS, predicted AAAa (.. applied for Maths and Stats, not Economics)

can u plz state if possible wat q's u were asked and all other maths q's plz?

was the answer to the differentiation -2xe^-x^2?
Reply 38
np_desi

was the answer to the differentiation -2xe^-x^2?

I should assume "was" = "what's" and "xe^-x^2" = "xe^(-x^2)" ?

If so, you could use the product rule and the chain rule.

Product rule states that if F(x) = f(x)g(x), then F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+g'(x)f(x)
Chain rule, F(x)=f(g(x)), then F'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x).

Hint, let -2xe^-x^2 = f(x)g(h(x)).
Reply 39
jb_sweden
I should assume "was" = "what's" and "xe^-x^2" = "xe^(-x^2)" ?

If so, you could use the product rule and the chain rule.

Product rule states that if F(x) = f(x)g(x), then F'(x) = f'(x)g(x)+g'(x)f(x)
Chain rule, F(x)=f(g(x)), then F'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x).

Hint, let -2xe^-x^2 = f(x)g(h(x)).

umm it is meant to be was... as in was the answer .....

anyway, where did u get xe^...?

its just e^-......

so wats the final answer? was i rite?

Latest

Trending

Trending