The Student Room Group

Retaking Year 12 at 18...major problem:(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lisali
Really?! That has given me some hope. I guess some schools are less stricter than others.

Well it should be the same for all schools - the government can't just give some schools funding. Perhaps your school is confused and it's just that the government won't give funding to people starting courses at 19?
I thought they fund the first level 3 qualification no matter what your age is?
what about going to another college in your local area than can do this option.
Reply 23
Original post by pixie<3
Well it should be the same for all schools - the government can't just give some schools funding. Perhaps your school is confused and it's just that the government won't give funding to people starting courses at 19?

Yeah maybe they're confused, hope so anyway. I think i'll go to the city council and ask.
do it. it'll be worth it and is not uncommon at all.
Original post by lisali
Yeah maybe they're confused, hope so anyway. I think i'll go to the city council and ask.

some schools are only registered as 11-18, so anyone who is 19 technially has to pay, which is why it is so uncommon and often there is a VERY good reason why there is a 19 year old there and the government will often fund them because of that reason.
Original post by lisali
Aww thanks and good luck to you too! I want to take Psychology, Geography and Ethics and Philosophy. Hbu, what subjects are you taking?

Psychology, Ethics & Philosophy, Sociology and English Literature hopefully! :smile: or
Psychology, Ethics & Philosophy, A2 History and Government and Politics if its possible.
Reply 27
I'm 23 and returning to college to retake my A levels, hopefully it will be a good choice.
Reply 28
Original post by kingshan16
No problem, let me know if they let you back in, they should tbh. But anyway let me know how it goes.

Best of luck. :biggrin:

I'm sooo happy, this other school gave me a place. Will be starting on the 12 of September!! They said they have no problem with letting me because i'm starting at 18 not 19! I'm so ready to start and i'm going to work REALLY REALLY hard. Thanks again!
Reply 29
Original post by Caspery
I'm 23 and returning to college to retake my A levels, hopefully it will be a good choice.

I'm sure it will be. Good luck!!!:biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Charlottie93
Psychology, Ethics & Philosophy, Sociology and English Literature hopefully! :smile: or
Psychology, Ethics & Philosophy, A2 History and Government and Politics if its possible.

Wow those are good combinations! Good luck! I got a place today at this other school and I'm starting on the 12th. But i can't do Geography anymore since it clashes with Ethics & philosophy so i picked Law instead. I'm so excited, i can't wait to start!
Reply 31
Original post by pixie<3

They were definitely confused because this other school gave me a place today and they said my age was fine, would only be a prob if i were starting at 19!
Reply 32
My friend's doing this currently at the moment. First time she got her AS results she got 4 Us. Her A2 results ended up as EUU.

She decided to retake even though she'd be leaving school at the age of 20! She's 19 now and she just received her 2nd AS results this year. She got BBC!

So what I'm saying is if you want to retake, do it! Even if it means leaving school a little bit later. It seriously is worth it :smile:
Original post by smoliver
My friend's doing this currently at the moment. First time she got her AS results she got 4 Us. Her A2 results ended up as EUU.

She decided to retake even though she'd be leaving school at the age of 20! She's 19 now and she just received her 2nd AS results this year. She got BBC!

So what I'm saying is if you want to retake, do it! Even if it means leaving school a little bit later. It seriously is worth it :smile:

How did she do A2 if she failed her AS? Either way, that is inspiring. There's a video on YT of a girl who took her A Levels around 6 times (or she had like 6 shots, no sure) but at the end of it - she made it! It's worth it if it's what you really want to do. Also, don't worry about what anyone thinks. They'll pass you by and never speak to you again - people at college are temporary.
Original post by lisali
They were definitely confused because this other school gave me a place today and they said my age was fine, would only be a prob if i were starting at 19!

I thought so, glad you got it sorted :smile:
Reply 35
Original post by LifeIsGood
How did she do A2 if she failed her AS? Either way, that is inspiring.

Our school is really nice and forgiving so they gave her another chance (a.k.a. the teachers are pushovers and will believe anything!) :tongue:
Reply 36
Original post by lisali

Nice one mate, congratz.
Original post by smoliver
Our school is really nice and forgiving so they gave her another chance (a.k.a. the teachers are pushovers and will believe anything!) :tongue:

Ah right, that sucks though. Didn't she think to retake the year though?
Reply 38
Original post by LifeIsGood
Ah right, that sucks though. Didn't she think to retake the year though?

She wanted to quit the subjects and start again but they made her carry on for some reason. Our school's weird...
Reply 39
I totally understand how you are feeling. I was in a similar position last year. I got CDEc in my A2s last year at 6th Form due to personal circumstances and I did kind of give up towards the end.
I self studied the whole of this year whilst working part time. Now my grades are ABBc and Im going to University later this month. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't the end of the world and self-studying is actually better than going to sixth form in some cases. For me it worked because I prefer independent learning but it depends on the individual. Good Luck with whatever you do.

Quick Reply

Latest