The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by When you see it...
Do you mind me asking what GCSE grades and AS UMS scores you got?
I am not applying for another year and am just curious...

PMd, always happy to help :smile:
Original post by Mono
PMd, always happy to help :smile:

Thanks. I got similar-ish GCSE scores to you so it worries me that you describe your application as 'weak'. :eek:
Would you mind letting me know if your GCSEs hold you back at any point in your application?
Reply 42
Original post by When you see it...
Thanks. I got similar-ish GCSE scores to you so it worries me that you describe your application as 'weak'. :eek:
Would you mind letting me know if your GCSEs hold you back at any point in your application?

Well its all relative :smile: and Cambridge put more emphasis on ASs than GCSEs so I just put a lot more effort in in year 12. If I'm unsuccessful due to GCSEs you'll be the first to know, after I've finished shaking my fist at the sky and cursing god that is :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mono
Well its all relative :smile: and Cambridge put more emphasis on ASs than GCSEs so I just put a lot more effort in in year 12. If I'm unsuccessful due to GCSEs you'll be the first to know, after I've finished shaking my fist at the sky and cursing god that is :biggrin:

Cheers. Guess I'm going to have to work harder in year 12 as well...
Is everyone who is applying to NatSci going to have biology alevel? My school is under the impression Biology is a concrete requirement for the course, which it isn't. They won't let me drop bio, and they also say it would be better to have it as so many people are applying and will have biology.

I'm studying chemistry, physics and maths, and hoped to drop bio.
Original post by HollowPointSmile

Is everyone who is applying to NatSci going to have biology alevel? My school is under the impression Biology is a concrete requirement for the course, which it isn't. They won't let me drop bio, and they also say it would be better to have it as so many people are applying and will have biology.

I'm studying chemistry, physics and maths, and hoped to drop bio.

:lolwut: Of course you can drop Bio- if you're not particularly interested in Biology-related modules and more into the Physical side of NatSci then that's perfectly fine. From what I can tell, at Durham the Chem-Phys-Maths combination of modules seems to be the most popular.

:hi: Natural Sciences applicants! It's great to see people applying for NatSci as I was the only person from my school who applied for it. I'm a (soon to be) second year at Durham studying NatSci (Chemistry and Maths, with one Biology module in first year). I applied for UCAS 2010 to Durham, Cambridge (Sidney Sussex- Biological), Nottingham and Bath and then for Chemistry at Warwick :smile:
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
:lolwut: Of course you can drop Bio- if you're not particularly interested in Biology-related modules and more into the Physical side of NatSci then that's perfectly fine. From what I can tell, at Durham the Chem-Phys-Maths combination of modules seems to be the most popular.

:hi: Natural Sciences applicants! It's great to see people applying for NatSci as I was the only person from my school who applied for it. I'm a (soon to be) second year at Durham studying NatSci (Chemistry and Maths, with one Biology module in first year). I applied for UCAS 2010 to Durham, Cambridge (Sidney Sussex- Biological), Nottingham and Bath and then for Chemistry at Warwick :smile:

Thanks for your comment. What subjects did you do at a level? I think I migh as well continue with biology for a while and see how I go.

Thanks for your comment. What subjects did you do at a level? I think I migh as well continue with biology for a while and see how I go.

Ok cool, it wouldn't hurt to have Bio as well as it would give you more NatSci options but don't let your school force you into keeping it on if you don't want to! :smile:

I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths (and General Studies :tongue:) and Spanish AS :smile:
Ok cool, it wouldn't hurt to have Bio as well as it would give you more NatSci options but don't let your school force you into keeping it on if you don't want to! :smile:

I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths (and General Studies :tongue:) and Spanish AS :smile:

And what grades did you get? The only think I don't like about Bio is the exams, for AQA you can the entire textbook and still not get an A :frown:

And what grades did you get? The only think I don't like about Bio is the exams, for AQA you can the entire textbook and still not get an A :frown:

Yeah I also wan't keen on Bio exams- a lot of the time they seemed so non-specific and unrelated to the detail :frown: it was really frustrating if you'd revised loads and barely any of the detail came up :frown: I did OCR A though.

I got A*A*AAAa with A*s in Biology and Maths :smile:
Yeah I also wan't keen on Bio exams- a lot of the time they seemed so non-specific and unrelated to the detail :frown: it was really frustrating if you'd revised loads and barely any of the detail came up :frown: I did OCR A though.

I got A*A*AAAa with A*s in Biology and Maths :smile:

Impressive :smile:
Are you at uni now doing NatSci?

Impressive :smile:
Are you at uni now doing NatSci?

Yep I'm at Durham, about to go into second year :biggrin:
Yep I'm at Durham, about to go into second year :biggrin:

Whats durham like? I'm thinking of applying but I am apprehensive about leaving London. :biggrin:

Whats durham like? I'm thinking of applying but I am apprehensive about leaving London. :biggrin:

I'm very biased but I :heart: Durham. I was a little apprehensive about it being so far away but I think it's done me good to get some independence and be too far away to come home at weekends, and it's not as far as I first thought. The course gives you a good choice of modules and you can pretty much design your own degree as long as the modules fit in with the timetable, plus I really like the collegiate system of the uni :smile:
anyone got any nat sci offers yet???
How respected would a nat sci degree from somewhere other than cambridge be?? UCL???
In terms of employability, how would it compare to doing economics, if you didnt want to go down the science route once you graduated?
Im applying like now and am at a bit of loss as to what to do :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by fresh2death
anyone got any nat sci offers yet???

Nope! I've had four out of five acknowledgements though :biggrin:
Reply 57
I got an offer from East Anglia AAA. I also applied to Cambridge (Biological), UCL, Bath and Southampton. No acknowledgement from southampton thou. I don't really want to go to Cambridge because I don't think I am good enough/ I like other places better but that's what happens when u have a pushy head who really wants someone to go to Oxbridge. My first choice is Bath.
Original post by Minnie46
I got an offer from East Anglia AAA. I also applied to Cambridge (Biological), UCL, Bath and Southampton. No acknowledgement from southampton thou. I don't really want to go to Cambridge because I don't think I am good enough/ I like other places better but that's what happens when u have a pushy head who really wants someone to go to Oxbridge. My first choice is Bath.

ahhhh well done! i dont feel like im good enough for cambridge im applying just to see what happens! so i get what you mean!
Reply 59
Original post by fresh2death
ahhhh well done! i dont feel like im good enough for cambridge im applying just to see what happens! so i get what you mean!

What other universities are you applying to, if u don't mind me asking?

Latest