The Student Room Group

Need A-Levels Options Advice

I am going into Year 11 when term starts and have absolutely no idea what I would like to study at university. As I wish to apply to a grammar sixth form from a separate secondary I have to make my choices a little earlier than others.

I was wondering if it's out of the norm to choose A-Levels before having a vague idea of what you would like to pursue in higher education.

Would a choice of :- Maths, (Possibly Further), Physics, Biology and Economics give me a wide choice?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Seems to me like you have a varied range of subjects. What you must bare in mind, though, is that doing subjects that you enjoy is a whole lot easier than doing subjects that you think are respected but that you don't enjoy. In the end, you will get better grades in subjects you enjoy anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dianysus
Seems to me like you have a varied range of subjects. What you must bare in mind, though, is that doing subjects that you enjoy is a whole lot easier than doing subjects that you think are respected but that you don't enjoy. In the end, you will get better grades in subjects you enjoy anyway.

I think I'm playing to my strengths here to a certain degree as I am good at Biology and Maths. Physics isn't my strongest subject but I love the subject itself and am willing to work hard on it. I have heard Economics ties well with Maths which is why I am considering it as the 4th option.
Reply 3
Just do what you enjoy and you should be fine. Though it helps if your courses are related as this is what university's want. I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English lit for As, but have dropped English for A level as it is not relevent enough. You're combination sounds good though, you should be fine :smile: xx
Reply 4
Original post by I Persia I
I think I'm playing to my strengths here to a certain degree as I am good at Biology and Maths. Physics isn't my strongest subject but I love the subject itself and am willing to work hard on it. I have heard Economics ties well with Maths which is why I am considering it as the 4th option.

Physics is a very difficult A level, so be cautious. However, it is one of those subjects in which you can get good with practice, so if you enjoy it and will work for it, then go for it! :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by s04582
Just do what you enjoy and you should be fine. Though it helps if your courses are related as this is what university's want. I did Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English lit for As, but have dropped English for A level as it is not relevent enough. You're combination sounds good though, you should be fine :smile: xx

Thanks, I like/do well at those subjects so I think they're the best choices I can make.

Physics is a very difficult A level, so be cautious. However, it is one of those subjects in which you can get good with practice, so if you enjoy it and will work for it, then go for it! :wink:

Yeah, even at GCSE it's not exactly easy, I'll try and work with it before I go and try and get a head-start on the syllabus or something.
Reply 6
Original post by I Persia I
Thanks, I like/do well at those subjects so I think they're the best choices I can make.

Yeah, even at GCSE it's not exactly easy, I'll try and work with it before I go and try and get a head-start on the syllabus or something.

I'd highly recommend 'Headstart to AS Physics' (part of the CGP series). I did the same for physics and this book really helped me :smile:.
Reply 7
I'd highly recommend 'Headstart to AS Physics' (part of the CGP series). I did the same for physics and this book really helped me :smile:.

:laugh:, Coincidentally I was just looking at them on Amazon the other day, I was gonna order the Physics/Biology/Maths ones and wasn't sure whether to or not. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest