The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pharrison1
has anyone with a UKcat of 660 or lower got an interview yet?

i had a ukcat of 643 :smile:
but my area is a poor area, and so was my GCSE school.
Reply 321
Original post by SamHey789
I got an Interview 2/11
Im really worried though, i've made such a gaff, i was returning the email when i pressed the wrong button, now they've got an email "inviting them to gmail chat"
i've apologised, will they think i'm a dick?

I'm bloody over the moon though.

Hahahaha you've made my day! Tbh, they'd probably find it hilarious. :tongue:
Original post by Panda89
Hahahaha you've made my day! Tbh, they'd probably find it hilarious. :tongue:

I am actually worried, i imagine the only course of action they can take is to revoke my interview and pass the information around to all the other medical schools :/ .

Have you got an interview?
Reply 323
Original post by SamHey789
I am actually worried, i imagine the only course of action they can take is to revoke my interview and pass the information around to all the other medical schools :/ .

Have you got an interview?

Mate, you're worrying too much, and it's definitely not going to affect your interview, let alone telling other med schools (which they don't even know) lol.

I'm still waiting. Early stage I know, but I guess I have to just sit and wait. :smile: Congrats on your interview, btw!
Reply 324
Original post by Steerforth
I'll probs wear my man city football kit to show how much I love manchester...

That's a really good idea, cos if you don't love Manchester the police will arrest you before you get to interview.:suith: MCR
Original post by Panda89
Mate, you're worrying too much, and it's definitely not going to affect your interview, let alone telling other med schools (which they don't even know) lol.

I'm still waiting. Early stage I know, but I guess I have to just sit and wait. :smile: Congrats on your interview, btw!

Good luck to you :smile:
Question: does living in a poorer area but going to a private school through bursaries raise a contextual flag and lower the ukcat, or is that case sort of balanced out so treated as normal?
Reply 327
Original post by reaperguy
Question: does living in a poorer area but going to a private school through bursaries raise a contextual flag and lower the ukcat, or is that case sort of balanced out so treated as normal?

I thought they only judged it by what school you went to, someone could find themselves living in a rich area purely by circumstance, like inheriting a house or living with extended family therefore having more shared wealth, where as schools can actually be judged by league tables etc. I think it's more about quality of education, which is probably going to be higher in private schools than state school.
I may be wrong though :/
Reply 328
Are the interviews which have been sent out for the foundation year course, as well as the straight med course?
Thanks
When do people have interviews? Last year the first interviews were on around November 25th or sth similar ...
Reply 330
Interview on the 7th Dec at 11:30! :smile: Received today at 10:30, sooo happy, now time to prepare for the interview, anyone got any good books to prepare or advice, my stats are in the sig, and my second name starts with D, just saying because they might be sending interviews by surname.
Reply 331
Hey guys
First year manchester medic here - I know I used the student room a lot for advice last year so if youve got any questions that I might be able to help with then feel free to ask :smile:

ps manchester is amazingggg! :biggrin:
Reply 332
Original post by rohitbd
Interview on the 7th Dec at 11:30! :smile: Received today at 10:30, sooo happy, now time to prepare for the interview, anyone got any good books to prepare or advice, my stats are in the sig, and my second name starts with D, just saying because they might be sending interviews by surname.

I found the ISC medicine interview book so helpful - its about £25
Also keep reading the bbc health section or the student BMJ

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by EQ24
Hey guys
First year manchester medic here - I know I used the student room a lot for advice last year so if youve got any questions that I might be able to help with then feel free to ask :smile:

ps manchester is amazingggg! :biggrin:

Hay. ^_^
I've done a bit of research on Medicine at Manchester and a lot of people have said it's not very good. The main reasons being that it's PBL and the student satisfaction is pretty low.
I love the idea of PBL and was just wondering how you found it? Manchester is my first choice, just wish I can get an interview!
Reply 334
Original post by EQ24
I found the ISC medicine interview book so helpful - its about £25
Also keep reading the bbc health section or the student BMJ

Good luck! :smile:

Yep just ordered that book and have been reading bbc health for a while know but Ive never heard of the student BMJ, thank you and how was the group interview like, I don't know how to approach it, thanks again :smile:
Reply 335
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
Hay. ^_^
I've done a bit of research on Medicine at Manchester and a lot of people have said it's not very good. The main reasons being that it's PBL and the student satisfaction is pretty low.
I love the idea of PBL and was just wondering how you found it? Manchester is my first choice, just wish I can get an interview!

Well PBL is quite difficult - but once you get into it, its a great way to learn. We get a case on Monday and as a group define questions to research, we then have to research on our own the issues surrounding the case and attend lectures which are relevant to that week. On friday we regroup and share what we found out.
We also do dissections which most med schools have stopped which is such an amazing experience and we are really lucky for the opportunity.

My PBL group is great, we're all really good friends and I am actually living with them next year :smile:. I know some groups arent as close, but you change groups every semester anyway so chances are youll make some close friends.

Also we have early experience which a lot of med schools dont have - so already I have been on 2 hospital placements and a GP placement which is really nice to just remind you why your doing medicine really.

I guess in terms of PBL it depends on how you like to learn. I personally would hate just having lectures on body systems but for some people it works best - I got honours on our first mid-semester test so it cant be so bad :P

And as for student satisfaction, I dont think I have met any medics who dont like manchester but again I suppose that depends on the person.

Finally dont get too stressed about interviews - I got 687.5 on my UKCAT, 3A*s and an A in my Alevels, loads of sports and work experience and my interview was in February.

The best thing you can do is start preparing for your interviews now, so that when they come around youll be better prepared that someone who waited until they heard back. Hope it goes well :smile:
Original post by EQ24
Well PBL is quite difficult - but once you get into it, its a great way to learn. We get a case on Monday and as a group define questions to research, we then have to research on our own the issues surrounding the case and attend lectures which are relevant to that week. On friday we regroup and share what we found out.
We also do dissections which most med schools have stopped which is such an amazing experience and we are really lucky for the opportunity.

My PBL group is great, we're all really good friends and I am actually living with them next year :smile:. I know some groups arent as close, but you change groups every semester anyway so chances are youll make some close friends.

Also we have early experience which a lot of med schools dont have - so already I have been on 2 hospital placements and a GP placement which is really nice to just remind you why your doing medicine really.

I guess in terms of PBL it depends on how you like to learn. I personally would hate just having lectures on body systems but for some people it works best - I got honours on our first mid-semester test so it cant be so bad :P

And as for student satisfaction, I dont think I have met any medics who dont like manchester but again I suppose that depends on the person.

Finally dont get too stressed about interviews - I got 687.5 on my UKCAT, 3A*s and an A in my Alevels, loads of sports and work experience and my interview was in February.

The best thing you can do is start preparing for your interviews now, so that when they come around youll be better prepared that someone who waited until they heard back. Hope it goes well :smile:

Thanks for that! It really helped. :biggrin:
Just have to try not to stress about interviews. >.<
Reply 337
Original post by rohitbd
Yep just ordered that book and have been reading bbc health for a while know but Ive never heard of the student BMJ, thank you and how was the group interview like, I don't know how to approach it, thanks again :smile:

The group interview is a good practice for PBL really. Find the right balance between saying too much and not saying enough and it will go fine. Its a great way to calm the nerves before your individual interviews. The book that you have ordered highlights a lot of the big mistakes people go into so I would read that a lot.
Reply 338
Original post by EQ24

Thanks for the information! So you have essentially 2 PBL sessions per week? How many lectures do you get per week?
Reply 339
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
Thanks for that! It really helped. :biggrin:
Just have to try not to stress about interviews. >.<

Anytime :smile:
Honestly I know how horrible it is waiting, especially when you know people are hearing back from other med schools - but once your here its so much fun :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending