The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
From looking at this--> http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=8129 doesnt that mean that they use you total UKCAT score rather than the average as the cut off? So you could get less than 645 average but still make the overall cut off score
Reply 21
Original post by ctenses
From looking at this--> http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/display.aspx?DocID=8129 doesnt that mean that they use you total UKCAT score rather than the average as the cut off? So you could get less than 645 average but still make the overall cut off score

Think that through. Your average is your total score divided by 4.
Reply 22
I'm considering applying here. Can y'all tell me if you think my academics will suffice:

A-level: A*AA (Bio, chem, maths) achieved, b in As psychology
GCSE: A*AAAAAAAB

I'm a reapplicant, which will hopefully strengthen my ps. Last year I only got 620 ukcat avg, which I know is poor, but I've put much more practice in this time and will hopefully do better. And I HAVE read the admissions policy word document and seem to be pretty safe, but I just like getting other peoples opinions on it :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by ctenses

No. The total UKCAT score, when divided my 4, equals the average score of 645. So if you're average is anything less than 645 then it is impossible to surpass the total score.

Basically, if you don't meet the average score then it is a mathematical certainty that you won't meet the total score. Man that's hard to explain :P
Reply 24
Original post by MJHERBZ
No. The total UKCAT score, when divided my 4, equals the average score of 645. So if you're average is anything less than 645 then it is impossible to surpass the total score.

Basically, if you don't meet the average score then it is a mathematical certainty that you won't meet the total score. Man that's hard to explain :P

sorry obviously had a retard moment :colondollar: but do you think that the total score/average will stay fairly the same? I spoke to someone who got in three years ago and they said that the cut off was 2605 (well the majority get over this score)
I'm so interested as my UKCAT is 2620 so im basically around there but i have good A levels (A*AAa) and 4A*, 6A at GCSE and hopefully a decent personal statement...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by ctenses
sorry obviously had a retard moment :colondollar: but do you think that the total score/average will stay fairly the same? I spoke to someone who got in three years ago and they said that the cut off was 2605 (well the majority get over this score)
I'm so interested as my UKCAT is 2620 so im basically around there but i have good A levels (A*AAa) and 4A*, 6A at GCSE and hopefully a decent personal statement...

It's cool, I frequently have retarded moments myself :tongue: I imagine it'll stay the same or go up slightly. Your score should be fine, I notice that most cut-offs tend to hover around the 650 mark. Your academics are perfectly fine too :smile:

Well done on the A-levels, a fellow reapplicant I assume?
Reply 26
Original post by MJHERBZ
It's cool, I frequently have retarded moments myself :tongue: I imagine it'll stay the same or go up slightly. Your score should be fine, I notice that most cut-offs tend to hover around the 650 mark. Your academics are perfectly fine too :smile:

Well done on the A-levels, a fellow reapplicant I assume?

yep :biggrin: four straight rejections last year so hopefully things can only improve!
Reply 27
Original post by ctenses
yep :biggrin: four straight rejections last year so hopefully things can only improve!

No way, me too! :tongue: I had an average personal statement, average predicted grades, average ukcat. Can only get better! :tongue: Good luck :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by MJHERBZ
No way, me too! :tongue: I had an average personal statement, average predicted grades, average ukcat. Can only get better! :tongue: Good luck :smile:

Thanks! :smile: good luck to you too!! where are you thinking of applying?
Do Manchester hold group interviews?
Original post by MJHERBZ

You could get below average. just sayin'.

I am a re-applicant too, I didn't apply to Manc last year though :frown:
Reply 31
Original post by Limesasquatch
You could get below average. just sayin'.

I am a re-applicant too, I didn't apply to Manc last year though :frown:

Well yes but I'm being optimistic :tongue: I didn't apply to Manchester last year either, I don't think it will matter. We're still demonstrating commitment to medicine and that's the most important :smile:
Reply 32
thinking of applying s will keep watching :smile:
Hey guys
I got 650 average in my UKCAT, and therefore a score of 2600.
On the word document on their website it says last years cut of was 2610, which works out as 652 average, right?
I just wanted to clarrify with you all, as I saw alot of posts saying it was 645.

Either way my 650 is very much on the border.
I got 6A*S, 4 As, 1 B at GCSE, predicted AAA at A2, plenty of work experience.

Reckon I have a shot?
Original post by bencornwell
Hey guys
I got 650 average in my UKCAT, and therefore a score of 2600.
On the word document on their website it says last years cut of was 2610, which works out as 652 average, right?
I just wanted to clarrify with you all, as I saw alot of posts saying it was 645.

Either way my 650 is very much on the border.
I got 6A*S, 4 As, 1 B at GCSE, predicted AAA at A2, plenty of work experience.

Reckon I have a shot?

Sorry to say but it seems unlikely. Cut offs have risen each year IIRC, and you're below last year's cut off anyway. If you really like Manchester you could give it a shot, but if you're just looking for anywhere you'd probably be better off elsewhere.
Reply 35
its a possibility, havent decided my 4th choice yet :tongue:

does anybody know how they interview? like traditional/groups/mmi?
What are the disadvantages of PBL?
Original post by laurie:)
its a possibility, havent decided my 4th choice yet :tongue:

does anybody know how they interview? like traditional/groups/mmi?

The interview process held in Manchester is in two parts:

The first 30 minutes will be spent with other applicants in a group task discussing a medical scenario. The first ten minutes will be allocated to individual thought; the remaining time will be spent trying to reach consensus within the group. Three interviewers will observe the process. You are not expected to have any more than a layperson’s general knowledge of the medical issues. The intention is to get you to relax and for the interviewers to be able to assess your team working skills.

In the second 30 minutes, you will have one-to-one interviews at three separate stations. At one station you will be asked to reflect on the group discussion, at a second to talk about the experiences that led you to apply to study medicine and at a third to discuss other wider issue's. Interviewers will have a copy of your personal statement.

http://www.medicine.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/medicine/coursedetails/applying/interview
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
What is the Manchester policy on resiting modules of AS and A2 during the two year period of sixth form?
Reply 39
Scored 667.5 in my UKCAT :redface: you guys think that'll be over the cut-off?

Quick Reply