The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJHERBZ
I was worried it'd just be four straight rejections again, but no :biggrin: A fellow reapplicant I presume? You're right, we ARE awesome! :biggrin:

Improving your application makes a huge difference between interviews and no interviews. This is my first time applying though, didn't bother last year. I hope we both have an offer soon that we need. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by À la mode
If you pass the first two stages but then fail to meet the UKCAT requirement, are you automatically rejected or do they just look more closely at your application?

No worries if you don't know: you just sound like someone who knows what they're talking about!

If you pass the first two stages but don't have a high enough UKCAT you'll be rejected. Similarly, if you fail the personal statement stage but have a high UKCAT you'll still be rejected.

I think the UKCAT should just be incorporated into an overall application score along with scores for your academics, personal statement and reference, similar to what HYMS does... but what do I know? :smile:
Reply 522
Original post by theatrical

Original post by theatrical
If you pass the first two stages but don't have a high enough UKCAT you'll be rejected. Similarly, if you fail the personal statement stage but have a high UKCAT you'll still be rejected.

I think the UKCAT should just be incorporated into an overall application score along with scores for your academics, personal statement and reference, similar to what HYMS does... but what do I know? :smile:

I agree with you on that one! Not a fan of the waiting game myself.. But no news is good news right?
Original post by kabi21
I agree with you on that one! Not a fan of the waiting game myself.. But no news is good news right?

Right.. or at least it's not bad news..
Reply 524
Original post by Birterillo
Congrats!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: seeing reapplicants having large success does reassure you that good applications do have to be turned down... especially on first time applying.

Out of interest did you make major changes to your application when reapplying? and also did you go for the same places second time around?

My main fault last time was that I vastly underestimated how competitive medicine is. Also I was told I'd been predicted AAA when in fact I'd been predicted AAB, so that got me at least one instant rejection...

But my application this year (I feel) has improved in every way. My UKCAT score went up from 620 to 667.5 and I achieved A*AA in my A-levels rather than my AAB prediction. I couldn't come by much more work experience even though I tried literally every GP within a 12 mile radius, though I managed to get a second week shadowing the same doctors as the previous year. I also began volunteering at a local hospice and with St John ambulance (the only voluntary work I had before was a short spell in a care home).

I think I have a much better personal statement as well, packed with reflections of my work experience and loads of skills which I have developed. I also tried to tailor it to the places I decided to apply, making sure I mentioned everything that they look for. So yeah, a lot of effort went into my application this year, I really hope it gets me an offer! :smile: And thank you for the congratulations! :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 525
Original post by amazin_sk8a_dude
Improving your application makes a huge difference between interviews and no interviews. This is my first time applying though, didn't bother last year. I hope we both have an offer soon that we need. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Agreed! Totally worth all the effort that's gone into it :biggrin: I share that hope, good luck for us both! :wink:
Original post by MJHERBZ
My other is at HYMS :smile: Thank you! How is your application going?

Have an interview for Manchester on the 15th. Very excited/nervous!
I'm desperately hoping I'll do well and get an offer!!
Reply 527
I haven't heard anything from Manchester... not even an acknowledgement, anyone else in the same position? :frown:
Original post by ssss
I haven't heard anything from Manchester... not even an acknowledgement, anyone else in the same position? :frown:

:yep:
anyone had an interview?

pleeeeeeeease shed some light on how the interviewers were - nice/not so nice. was the interview ok or quite challenging?
Reply 530
Original post by HeldAtNeedlepoint.
Have an interview for Manchester on the 15th. Very excited/nervous!
I'm desperately hoping I'll do well and get an offer!!

Very good luck to you! Coincidentally, my first interview is just the day after... Oooo... :tongue:
the three interviewers are all very nice
3 panels, 2 of them were quite challenging
or maybe it's just me, i didn't do so well
be prepared to wait btw
good luck :smile:
Original post by MJHERBZ

Original post by MJHERBZ
My main fault last time was that I vastly underestimated how competitive medicine is. Also I was told I'd been predicted AAA when in fact I'd been predicted AAB, so that got me at least one instant rejection...

But my application this year (I feel) has improved in every way. My UKCAT score went up from 620 to 667.5 and I achieved A*AA in my A-levels rather than my AAB prediction. I couldn't come by much more work experience even though I tried literally every GP within a 12 mile radius, though I managed to get a second week shadowing the same doctors as the previous year. I also began volunteering at a local hospice and with St John ambulance (the only voluntary work I had before was a short spell in a care home).

I think I have a much better personal statement as well, packed with reflections of my work experience and loads of skills which I have developed. I also tried to tailor it to the places I decided to apply, making sure I mentioned everything that they look for. So yeah, a lot of effort went into my application this year, I really hope it gets me an offer! :smile: And thank you for the congratulations! :tongue: :biggrin:

Hmm... Sounds familiar. :rolleyes: Good luck dude! :yy:
Reply 533
What do you need to take?? Do you just need the things it says in the e-mail, or do you need the stuff the CRB check asks for askwell and photocopies thereof?? Very confused!!
Also how long do manchester take to tell you if you have an offer/rejection after interview??
Reply 534
Original post by medimike
What do you need to take?? Do you just need the things it says in the e-mail, or do you need the stuff the CRB check asks for askwell and photocopies thereof?? Very confused!!
Also how long do manchester take to tell you if you have an offer/rejection after interview??

I took in all of my A level/GCSE certificates and photocopies and the CRB stuff with photocopies and a passport photo, they didn't ask to see the originals and just took the copies but it's worth taking them anyway.
Original post by Rocketeeer
the three interviewers are all very nice
3 panels, 2 of them were quite challenging
or maybe it's just me, i didn't do so well
be prepared to wait btw
good luck :smile:

was the group task ok?

and don't worry, sometimes they challenge you because they think you're worth challenging :smile:
Reply 536
I have an interview for Manchester on 13th at 8.45am SO nervous!
Had an interview today, not sure how well it went. Group task was interesting and had a really nice group. Not much talking over each other either, if anything i was most guilty of that :/. But yeah interviewers were friendly and whats on the TSR description is essentially exactly what you will get.

I think i botched the ethics question though :biggrin:, i knew i was heading for disaster when i was called an interventionist. Only time will tell i guess .

Only 1 small negative, the person after me actually got asked about my personal statement on one of the stations by mistake i guess, so possibly lost some time. I hope that doesn't go against him :frown:

gl to everyone else ill try and answer any questions, but im not going to say what the exact topics are
Reply 538
Original post by Tan Theta
Interview on Monday! See you guy's there. Focus.

Oh I have an interview on Monday too..Good luck!
And I have an interview from Leiester but on the 30th of January! Congrats on both!
Original post by Nash24
Oh I have an interview on Monday too..Good luck!
And I have an interview from Leiester but on the 30th of January! Congrats on both!

Hey, congrats on your two interviews, we have very similar taste in unis :wink: they gave us both a long notice for our Leicester interview. What other uni's have you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending