The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Browsing TSR...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by RVNmax
You didn't read properly; your cognitive bias went as far as making you read something that doesn't exist.
That cannot be drawn out from what minme said:

The final sentence is the one you seem to be most aggravated with. It was just defining a third category of students who attend the uni. As 'minme' put, due to the uni's entry requirements and social prestige, these students tend to be "quite ill educated" and due to other social factors, i.e. location, the students mainly have "foreign born parents who are Strict Muslims", who want their children to stay "local".
'minme' did not say that there was a direct link between the two, just the third category of students happen to be mainly both foreign and ill-educated. Imagine you read it in this order instead. Then you may notice that another sub-category of the 'ill educated', apart from with 'foreign born parents', is mentioned.

Actually, the sentence - "attractive to foreign non EU students as even a degree here has some kudos back home" (which, I notice, you didn't mention in your post) is the one that aggravated me the most. The implication I get from that statement is that the standards of foreign countries (I'm assuming lesser developed countries) are so low that even a "worthless" degree from the UK would be of high value. That in itself is an insult, which is why I decided to correct 'minme' by reassuring that people from foreign countries have high standards too. If 'minme' wasn't intending to sound insulting then I suggest he/she is more careful with wording his/her statements on public forums. And correction, I don't do rants. Simply "clarifying" as you put it.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by nulli tertius
Go back to my post in this thread from three years ago:-

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1756748&p=33682035#post33682035

There is a forty year history of management failings at London Met. These aren't problems with individual courses. They are problems with the institution.

Since my posting in 2011, there has been the loss of its highly trusted sponsor status for immigration purposes (now regained) because some students were studying there without visas, other students with visas failed to show up but London Met didn't report this to the authorities and because the Home Office didn't accept its record keeping. This is the only university ever to lose this status (Glasgow Cale and Teesside had very short suspensions).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/420965.article

One of the governors of London Met (and a senior employee to boot) is a convicted terrorist. What is more the University's attempt to get rid of him failed when it transpired that those who appointed him at the University knew he was a convicted terrorist when it appointed him. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21545445

Employee relations are still dreadful

http://stopthewitchhunt.wordpress.com/

More recently, London Met academic staff have decided to broaden their criminal activities out of car bombings and into gangland executions, drug dealing and child abduction. This is from Monday this week.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/london-met-university-lecturer-jailed-for-helping-gangster-boyfriend-execute-rival-drug-dealer-9166257.html

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/mother-makes-tearful-plea-to-pm-for-help-getting-missing-sons-back-9165147.html

Perhaps it is understandable, though seemingly unlawful, that London Met is refusing to publish the minutes of its governors' meetings until they are a year old.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/london-met-sticks-to-12-month-embargo-on-minutes/2011260.article

non of this is relevant at all to what i said, quite the opposite. i said judge the course, not the university (even less relevant - anyone who might happen to be connected to it). your "previous post" doesn't qualify you any better either. i can't quite understand why you would personally go to such lengths to dig up dirt on a university you didn't/don't go to, or am i wrong? if we wanted to go through oxford and cambridge alumni i'm pretty sure we could find a few unsavoury characters too. i study at the met at the moment and i find the teaching very good and they are bending over backwards to try and improve their service and reputation.
Original post by tartanhandbag
if we wanted to go through oxford and cambridge alumni i'm pretty sure we could find a few unsavoury characters too.

Of course you could, if you go through their alumni as you could for any other university.

But i didn't go through alumni. I looked at London Met's management practices, which happened to include appointing a convicted terrorist to its board of governors as recently as 2013 (he has since resigned).

I see that you are finding the teaching good and the staff helpful.

However, London Met is a uniquely dysfunctional university in the British higher education world which lurches from crisis to crisis.

It has even rendered the word Metropolitan toxic. Leeds Met abandoned the name largely because of the negative associations with London Met

http://www.themetonline.co.uk/news/signed-sealed-and-delivering-report-on-leeds-met-name-change/

The University of Central England would not adopt it for similar reasons.
Swansea Met has abandoned the name on merger but perhaps for different reasons.
Original post by matt_rf
Yeah its pretty bad.
In fact you'd have to pay me the £9000 to go there.

So you'll go with a scholarship?
Reply 284
Original post by tinamarie
Actually, the sentence - "attractive to foreign non EU students as even a degree here has some kudos back home" (which, I notice, you didn't mention in your post) is the one that aggravated me the most. The implication I get from that statement is that the standards of foreign countries (I'm assuming lesser developed countries) are so low that even a "worthless" degree from the UK would be of high value. That in itself is an insult, which is why I decided to correct 'minme' by reassuring that people from foreign countries have high standards too. If 'minme' wasn't intending to sound insulting then I suggest he/she is more careful with wording his/her statements on public forums. And correction, I don't do rants. Simply "clarifying" as you put it.

I did see the alternative quote. I mentioned it like so:
You also mentioned the EU in your quote. That was used in the description of a different category and in no way linked with the 'ill educated' category, making your whole post a meaningless rant based upon a false quote.

I didn't quote it fully and I just put it as a side alternative because it really made no sense if you are basing your clarification on that - just like I mentioned in the description, it is not even linked with the generalised ill educated students of the London Met, which you linked it to at the end.
On top of that, in this new explanation you seem to contradict yourself (which you also did previously) by using words like 'superior', 'lesser developed' and 'smaller'. Should I be taking that as an insult? No, because it would be ignorant for me to ignore that fact these countries are labelled as such due to legitimate reasons*. Similarly, it is ignorant to dismiss the fact that a degree from the uni in question would be regarded differently in different countries.

p.s. I wasn't using 'rant' as an insult... my own post is just as much as a rant, which there is nothing wrong with. It is the 'meaningless' bit that I associated with your rant/clarification that you should be taking note of. Rant over! :biggrin:
* = (Note that I'm not disputing any reasoning as to how such differences between countries came about)
I went to see London met and didn't think it seemed as bad as people say, but I am definitely not going to go there. It felt more like a secondary school than a uni and well I left there quite a while ago and don't plan on going back. The place just generally had an atmosphere I didn't like and seemed to cater more for locals than those who need to move there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

I have to agree with the majority on this one. After completing my second MSc at UCL and my PhD at a top 20 uni, I enrolled on a professional psychology doctorate last September. The doctorate enables me to practice as a chartered psychologist and that's the only reason why I'm there.

I'm sorry to say that it has been a truly awful experience with nothing positive to say at all. Ok, maybe not. The university have provided me with some flexibility in paying fees, which has helped me considerably. However, staff are particularly rude, aggressive and defensive with me for some reason (as noticed by all the other trainees) and I genuinely dread attending lectures (which are pretty poor!). My motivation and morale is on the floor at the moment and it's making me really appreciate all of my wonderful student experiences at UCL and Kent University.

Most (if not all?) trainees at London Met are unhappy with some wanting to leave asap. I'm working hard to finish this doctorate by September 2015 and putting it all behind me.

Would love to return to UCL next year in some way possible and put the toxic London Met experience behind me.

Please don't consider London Met. Consider alternatives.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am currently studying Business Management at London Met, I do have to say the teaching aint that bad but if I had to compare the uni to other universities, I would say that there are other universities that are better. London Met was just a last resort for as I had to change uni back in 2012 due to financial reasons while I was at the other one
It's ranked THE ABSOLUTE BOTTOM in most league tables, so anyone saying it's wonderful are just trying to trick you. Relative to Russel group or even 1994 group, it's a complete rubbish. The people who were paid to review unis generally have a bit of understanding of what they are talking about, and there's a good reason why it's universally ranked the worst among most charts. From my best friend's brother, that place is mostly foreign students who just wanted a UK degree so they have (some) status when they return home (surely people in "those" countries don't know what unis here are good), many speaks no or broken English, and some even with invalid visas(in the news). Don't expect motivation and productivity, most student are just there to waste days to earn some degree, and the lecturers knows exactly that so they don't bother either. Some say the uni is good, but many strongly recommend against it, decide your self because it's an opinion based thing.

Personally the thing I don't like about that uni is the amount of adverts they put on UCAS trying to portray themselves as a new, innovative uni. I believe that until I read the scandals and did some own research. Go at your own risk. Personally I wouldn't go even if they offer me full scholarship.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Reply 289
Once more,I will defend LMU

Some departments such as architecture,IR,Food industry,creative writing are quite good !
True,that university has a different pedigree from others but more than 60000 students graduated there since its inception and have been working in various fields all over the globe.
Its bad ranking comes from low entry requirements and relatively poor research activities.
The new VC is aware of those problems and has been launching a 5 years plan to redress the situation, at least to put the uni in the same range as its main local competitors.
They had trouble with immigration department but the case is now definitely closed.
If you want to get a decent degree and ,by any chance and for any reason,failed to get awesome results in college,LMU allows you at least to redeem and it is a good thing !
This uni also gives degrees to mature students who otherwise,could not go back to higher education.
Do not be mistaken: like other unis, getting proper marks is challenging and the dropout rate is around 15% in 1 st year due to the low entry prerequisites !
To conclude: a weird uni with many merits .
Original post by trump1

To conclude: a weird uni with many merits .

I agree going there gives people a change to redeem themselves, it's better than start living on the dole of course , however I wouldn't say it'd be a popular firm or insurance choice for most local students. Overall, there are many better mid-rank unis out there with equally low entry requirements. I just can't imagine why any student with mediocre A-levels should go there. Nevertheless London Met is known for foreign student magnet, and I don't think they can change their image in a matter of 5 years, not at least until they stop taking in so much foreign students and show some academic research.

If you choke your A-levels badly(I mean serious choke, not C's and D's), then going there is a viable option.
Hey guys, I originally started this thread (I forgot the username login/email address to the Pi R Squared account I created 4 years ago).

Anyway.

For anyone interested, I actually done my first year at London Met and then I transferred to Brunel University. If you ****ed up as badly as me during your A-Levels and London Met is the only uni that is willing to accept them, there is hope; get a first in your first year and then try to transfer to another university.

I applied to Oxford Brookes, Brunel, NTU and they all accepted me.

Now look, I'm not the smartest guy in the world (I have been working really hard at Brunel!), but from what I remember in my first year; the people who were in the same course as me, were completely incompetent. They wrote essays like ten year olds, were continually late to lectures/seminars and were incredibly badly behaved during the lectures (they would put their feet on the front seats, talk during lectures and one guy would always play FIFA on his laptop that was connected to his Xbox Controllers (I'm serious!)). The majority of the lecturers did not give a flying **** about the behaviour of the students and would often try talk over them. I remember complaining to one of the lecturers about the behaviour of the students. He told everyone to be quiet,then commence two minutes forwards they'd all start behaving like **** again. He just didn't give a ****!

It seemed as though they're acceptance standards were very low (yes I realise I was one of them, but **** me man even I'm not that incompetent)

I know I sound like a hypocrite, because let's face it; they were the only Uni who wanted to accept me, and I am thankful for that, but **** man. I can't even consider the place a University. I genuinely felt bad for the International Students who paid a ****-load of money just because of the it's-a-London-"University" international recognition status.

A guy in my course even had a criminal record. Like wtf? The majority of students were mature students who had flopped their previous unis or just decided to go to "Uni" late.

Even Brunel had students who were quite bad but the majority were weeded out in the first and second year. That wasn't the case for London Met, I still keep in contact with one guy and he told me the majority of them graduated!

Edit: I'm only commenting on the status of the university three years ago, I don't know about now!
edit: perhaps my previous words were a bit harsh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by iMadeTheThread
Hey guys, I originally started this thread (I forgot the username login/email address to the Pi R Squared account I created 4 years ago).

Anyway.

For anyone interested, I actually done my first year at London Met and then I transferred to Brunel University. If you ****ed up as badly as me during your A-Levels and London Met is the only uni that is willing to accept them, there is hope; get a first in your first year and then try to transfer to another university.

I applied to Oxford Brookes, Brunel, NTU and they all accepted me.

Now look, I'm not the smartest guy in the world (I have been working really hard at Brunel!), but from what I remember in my first year; the people who were in the same course as me, were completely incompetent. They wrote essays like ten year olds, were continually late to lectures/seminars and were incredibly badly behaved during the lectures (they would put their feet on the front seats, talk during lectures and one guy would always play FIFA on his laptop that was connected to his Xbox Controllers (I'm serious!)). The majority of the lecturers did not give a flying **** about the behaviour of the students and would often try talk over them. I remember complaining to one of the lecturers about the behaviour of the students. He told everyone to be quiet,then commence two minutes forwards they'd all start behaving like **** again. He just didn't give a ****!

It seemed as though they'll accept anyone (yes I realise I was one of them, but **** me man even I'm not that incompetent)

I know I sound like a hypocrite, because let's face it; they were the only Uni who wanted to accept me, and I am thankful for that, but **** man. I can't even consider the place a University. I genuinely felt bad for the International Students who paid a ****-load of money just because of the it's-a-London-"University" international recognition status.

A guy in my course even had a criminal record. Like wtf? The majority of students were mature students who had flopped their previous unis or just decided to go to "Uni" late.

Even Brunel had students who were terrible, but the majority were weeded out in the first and second year. That wasn't the case for London Met, I still keep in contact with one guy and he told me the majority of them graduated!

I'm currently doing my placement and I will be graduating in 2016 (hopefully with a first)!

Edit: I'm only commenting on the status of the university three years ago, I don't know about now!

Can I ask what you studied?
Original post by prettygin
Can I ask what you studied?

business computin
Please avoid this institution. If you failed your A levels, better take an extra year to re-do them. I do not understand why this shameful institution is still alive. AVOID.
I'm aware that this is a very old thread, but London Met is no where near as bad as people say. I studied journalism there and I didn't really have any qualms with it - we all achieved firsts and 2:1s, and they do bother to organise graduation ceremonies. Please stop ****ging them off when you've clearly never been there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending