The Student Room Group

CeMAP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gt999
Hello. I'm guessing you've probably given up on this thread, but for anybody who wants to know the answers to the above, I've taken & passed CeMAP so I can tell you a fair bit about it..

-In regards to the maths involved, it's very little. I myself took A-Level maths & got an A. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway, back to the topic of CeMAP. The maths in mortgages are simply finding percentages & other basic numerical functions (adding, dividing etc). Nothing too intense, so don't let this be a drawback.

-The study materials are available from IFS (Institute of financial services). They will set you back a good £120-£150 for each module. There are 3 modules in CeMAP. This charge includes 1 sitting of the exam, any additional sittings will cost you a further £120-£150. There are no shortcuts, no cheap entrances, this is the only way to get genuine CeMAP study materials. Specimen papers are a further £20 each.

-It's a very demanding qualification (equivalent to an A-Level). You have to put your everything into learning the subject. It's not something you improve on from school, it's a completely new subject to everyone. The laws & regs are the most difficult part (CeMAP 1). As for CeMAP2 & CeMAP3.. again, it will be very difficult unless you have a very good background knowledge of the mortgage industry. I myself started an apprenticeship at a mortgage broking firm, so CeMAP 2 & CeMAP 3 were a lot easier for me because I was working in a mortgage environment everyday.

-I completed the course in 6 months. As I mentioned earlier, it is equivalent to an A-Level, so 18 months - 2 years is a reasonable target. You could even do it parralel to A-Levels.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be perfectly blunt with you, this qualification doesn't guarentee you employment. Based on your A-Level results, you will find it very difficult to find a job in this industry. I would strongly advise re-sitting your A-Levels before applying for a job as this would increase your chances significantly if you can get AT LEAST 3 B's.

Hope this helps.

Ironically, the above posters pretentious and transparent attempts every other sentence to portray him/her self as ahead of the curve have only served to reveal how far he/she is behind it.

The CEMAP exam is NOT equivalent to an A-level, nowhere near in fact. If you have a reasonably logical mind and a good memory, as well as some detailed revision notes, you could feasibly study for and pass this exam in 6 weeks. 6 months would be embarrassing TBH, and 18 months to 2 years would surely indicate a lack of interest and/or some form of mental retardation.

"There are no shortcuts, no cheap entrances"

There most certainly are, one of them is called "E-bay", where you can buy a CD with all relevant practice exams, revision notes and the rest for about £10.00. The official text comes as part of the exam package you book through IFS.

Finally, please disregard the advice concerning resitting your A-level exams. Most mortgage brokers I know (some very successful in the field), are in the industry specifically BECAUSE they didn't get the school results to enter more prestigious professions. Besides, if the above poster, who displays all the intelligence, sagacity and awareness of a stoned goat, can achieve an A grade in one of them, doesn't that say something about their worth nowadays?

Hope the advice helps and good luck with your career
Thankyou both for ur valuable insight. Would appreciate if you could tell me how is the mortgage industry in UK doing on the whole. Is it easy to function as a mortgage advisor. how many deals on an average need to be closed in a month.
Reply 22
Hi,
I am due to take my CeMAP 1 and have just come across this

"CeMAP 1 is a multiple choice examination with 4 possible answers being given from which you must select the correct answer There are two units each with 50 questions aand you have a maximum of 1 hour to complete each unit IIf you finish one unit early you cannot carry over any surplus time into the next"

I thought you could moved back and forth between units in case you wanted to come back to a question.
Also do they give you paper and pen to use for workings out etc? And what is included in the TAX Tables, it's very hard trying to get this info.
Thank you guys for any help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Hi,

Each section is done on screen, The questions are displayed on one side, tax tables on the other.

You will get a laminated sheet, pen and calculator to do your working. You should not to use these that much.

In part 1 there are 4 sections, each one must be fully completed before moving on to the next. Before you complete the section you can review all answers but once you complete the section you cannot go back to it.

If for example you failed 1 of the 4 sections you would only go back for a 30 minute assessment to redo the 25 questions in the section you failed, not all 100 again.

Hope that helps.
Reply 24
Original post by 4B5
Hi,

Each section is done on screen, The questions are displayed on one side, tax tables on the other.

You will get a laminated sheet, pen and calculator to do your working. You should not to use these that much.

In part 1 there are 4 sections, each one must be fully completed before moving on to the next. Before you complete the section you can review all answers but once you complete the section you cannot go back to it.

If for example you failed 1 of the 4 sections you would only go back for a 30 minute assessment to redo the 25 questions in the section you failed, not all 100 again.

Hope that helps.

Sorry - Is that not CeMAP 2 / 3 your talking about.
As I do know CeMAP 1 is in 2 units of 50 Questions, so you can't go back and answer 25 Questions ??
Reply 25
Original post by SOSDelta
Sorry - Is that not CeMAP 2 / 3 your talking about.
As I do know CeMAP 1 is in 2 units of 50 Questions, so you can't go back and answer 25 Questions ??

Apologies, you're right it's two sections, each with 50 questions.

Part 2 has 4 sections and part 3 has 1 section with case studies.

So once you have completed the first 50 questions (Introduction to the Financial Services Environment & Products) you will have time to review them, but once you move on to the second part of the assessment (UK Financial Services and Regulation) you cannot go back over the first 50 questions.

You have 1 hour for each section.The time is adequate,

what I suggest you do is this:

Go through each, answering the ones you are confident to answer right away.
If you are unsure of the answer then "flag" the question to review later.
Once you get to the end of the section you can then review all the questions you have flagged.

Doing it this way you then have a clearer indication of the time you have left to think more about the questions you are unsure of.Narrow down the right answer by removing the ones you can be reasonably sure it's not going to be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Thats great advice,
Can I just ask, can you review part way through the flagged ones within a Unit, or do you have to wait until the end of that Unit for the flagged ones to come up?

Can you take a drink in? and also when did you pass your CeMAP?
Thanks for you help btw, much appreciated
I've also read that the Questions are harder than the mock exams and a little bit more ' catch you out' set-up. I'm sp worried, but I just want to be properly ready, this is last chance saloon for me, as possible redundancies at work so I need to qualify :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
You can move backwards at any point however you cannot review the flagged ones until you have got to the end of the section.

You cannot take anything in with you, not allowed a drink, watch, phone, pen, paper. Nothing.

I passed it last year along with CeRER and CeFAP. I am currently studying for DipMAP.

Would not say the questions are harder, just worded differently. There are not so much catch you out questions but you need to read carefully. Simple things like the question asks you to select the answer is "not true", but if you read it too quickly you think it said "true".

Just read each question once then make sure you know what it's asking.

I found the 1st module the toughest, as do most. In part 2 it's far more relevant, interesting and easier to read.One thing to bear in mind is that much of what you have covered in part 1 will come up in part 2 such as insurance, regulation and so on.

So you will find progress quicker in part 2 although there is still a bit to learn if you are not involved in Mortgage at all. Then into part 3 there is very little to learn, it's all about revising and going over what you already know to answer the questions in the case studies.So stick in, revise as much as possible and get part 1 out of the way and it will be a big pressure off :smile:
Reply 28
Thank you so much for that, I really do appreciate your advice.

And you really have made it all much more clearer for me.
You can be so unsure of so many things, so if you can get some questions answered, it helps.
Thats goo you can go back and forth though, I thought you had to wait for flagged and that was it.
I take it SDLT and SDRT amounts are not on tax tables as not see them on the online ones.
I promise I will stop asking you Q's now lol,

I am revising now as we speak as I am off work this week and exam next week :/

it's what to revise again/next !! lol
Reply 29
I can't remember if the SDLT amounts are on there, something tells me they are but don't rely on that. There will be questions asking you to calculate it though.

If you have access to the online CDT in the IFS website keep doing the mock exams over and over, whilst you will keep seeing the same questions it still helps to embed the topics that will be covered in the exam.

Most important though don't stress about it, I know that's easy to say however it's multiple choice, as long as you a reasonably good understanding of the topics you will find the answers easy enough.I honestly don't consider myself academic and managed to get 86%!
Reply 30
Original post by 4B5
I can't remember if the SDLT amounts are on there, something tells me they are but don't rely on that. There will be questions asking you to calculate it though.

If you have access to the online CDT in the IFS website keep doing the mock exams over and over, whilst you will keep seeing the same questions it still helps to embed the topics that will be covered in the exam.

Most important though don't stress about it, I know that's easy to say however it's multiple choice, as long as you a reasonably good understanding of the topics you will find the answers easy enough.I honestly don't consider myself academic and managed to get 86%!

Oh WELL DONE!!! Thats brilliant,

Yes I was on CDT last night and all the time wondered if it was anything - or should I say the Q's anything like the real thing.

Again thank you so much, I really do appreciate it, and will keep you posted on my results :smile:
Reply 31
The questions are all like the ones in the CDT, of course they will be worded differently.

Do let me know how you get on :smile:
Reply 32
Hi
Sorry it's me again.
Not sure if I got this right regards flagged and going back over Questions.
If for example I flag Question 5, but when I get to Question 10 I remember the flagged questions, can I go 'back' to Question 5 by pressing previous and answer it.
As I am wondering also, if I can check trough my answers afterwards and change any?
I'm just trying to set out a system, which I'm sure wont sork but hey-ho as they say.
(edited 8 years ago)
hi everyone
i am currently studying cemap and i keep failing unit 1. failed 4 times is that normal why is it happening?? does it mean i cant do it?
Reply 34
Don't worry,
I've just failed mine, but you have to keep at it,
keep going or after all the work you will regret it
thanks for the respond.
but the thing is i had my exams today and i failed on 4 th attempt. lol im getting tired of it now im thinking mayb ita not made for me but on the other hand iv spent to much money to just throw it away

how did you revise
Reply 36
Original post by sukhmani
thanks for the respond.
but the thing is i had my exams today and i failed on 4 th attempt. lol im getting tired of it now im thinking mayb ita not made for me but on the other hand iv spent to much money to just throw it away

how did you revise

I did mock papers which I don't think are a good representative of the questions in the exam, which are 3 times longer. It's annoying they do mock papers which do not in any way relate to the reality of the real exam, feels like just a money making way.
i wouldnt pay for papers again.
just read the book I suppose,??
Reply 37
I did mock papers which I don't think are a good representative of the questions in the exam, which are 3 times longer. It's annoying they do mock papers which do not in any way relate to the reality of the real exam, feels like just a money making way.
i wouldnt pay for papers again.
just read the book I suppose,??

I'm trying to re-book a re-sis and cant find how to do it, any ideas?, as I dont have the link now, is it through pearson vuer or ifs learning ?
Reply 38
Don't worry,
I've just failed mine, but you have to keep at it,
keep going or after all the work you will regret it

Sorry to hear that, have you taken a look at the analysis sheet to see where your weak points were?
Reply 39
Original post by sukhmani
thanks for the respond.

how did you revise

Part one is by far the hardest part of CeMAP and I come from a banking background saying that.

Are you failing the the whole module? There are 2 two parts to the exam, if you pass one part you do not sit it again. As I mentioned above, have you checked the analysis sheets which can be found on the IFS website? They tell you how you did in each section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending