The Student Room Group

CeMAP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by 4B5
Part one is by far the hardest part of CeMAP and I come from a banking background saying that.

Are you failing the the whole module? There are 2 two parts to the exam, if you pass one part you do not sit it again. As I mentioned above, have you checked the analysis sheets which can be found on the IFS website? They tell you how you did in each section.

Yes I failed both modules, although I did better in Unit 1 than Unit 2, so ??

I have the Analysis, although even thats vague.
I'm just a little skeptical atm regards the vagueness and reluctance to be clear with the details on helping.
Obviously it's a money making field and it does feel that it's all vague for that reason.
I wouldn't buy Mock papers, infact you can get them on ebay for £10, but even so they weren't in the least like the exam, I thought they were easy. Just think the mock papers are designed to lead you into a false sense of security - you fail and bamm another £130.

But it is what is it. I'm wondering wether to do the RO1 exam, lower pass rate and supposed to be easier - perhaps cheaper in the long run ?? hmmm
Reply 41
Original post by SOSDelta
I have the Analysis, although even thats vague.I'm just a little skeptical atm regards the vagueness and reluctance to be clear with the details on helping.Obviously it's a money making field and it does feel that it's all vague for that reason.

Whilst I understand your frustration it still comes down to you to learn the text and understand the core elements.

It is of course making money for the IFS although a significant portion of that £130 cost actually goes to the testing centre.

A bit of tough love here I am afraid, you will know yourself how you did, pointing at the IFS about their vagueness or reluctance to be clear is really just avoiding responsibility for the outcome.

The text is appropriate, the elements you need to learn are all covered in detail.My experience is that many under estimate the amount of work required to pass this part of CeMAP.

If you are not experienced in working within a financial institution where much of this part of the course is day to day then it increases the learning and retention significantly.

This in turn increases the study requirement.It can take months of revision to get the standard required and not an unreasonable expectation depending on your background.If you are just missing the pass mark then you know it's mostly there, the summary sheets still tell you what areas you did well in and those not so.

Any section under 50% will be a significant area you are not doing well in and not learning/retaining the information.Sometimes it's easy to think that when you are faced with a question and 4 possible answers the chances are significantly increased of getting it right, but if you don't understand the question then none of that helps.

Even on the online mock exams (CDT) within the IFS where the questions are often repeated I would not suggest you take the exam unless you are hitting 80% or higher every time.

The questions you get wrong before you should be getting right the next time because you know the answer.What I have seen many do is move on to part 2 of the course which is found to be far less as intense and continue reviewing and revising part 1 to then re-sit later.

The RO1 may have a lower pass rate and some say it's easier, but match that with the fact many will tell you the one you have just done is easy. Easy is based on many individual factors, not a one glove fits all approach.

If you are really struggling with this one then moving is not going to help you in my view

Another consideration is that when it comes down to preferred qualification you will find that CeMAP is the standard for advising roles, many will not accept the certification from the CII as an alternative.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 42
Whilst I understand your frustration it still comes down to you to learn the text and understand the core elements.

It is of course making money for the IFS although a significant portion of that £130 cost actually goes to the testing centre.

Even on the online mock exams (CDT) within the IFS where the questions are often repeated I would not suggest you take the exam unless you are hitting 80% or higher every time."

Thanks for the reply, you seem quite passionate regards how you feel about this exam.
Honestly - I was not upset at all regards the fail, I know that may not sound honest, but i've read many a forum regards this exam. I was getting 80-90% in Mock papers and that CDT, it was very rare I didn't achieve 100%.

My point regards the exam in relation to mock and even the CDT, unless it's a true expererience of how the questions are, then I feel that I don't see the point or it's done differently for a reason?

What I was saying was I felt the questions were a little misleading, and were nothing like anything I had done in mocks.
Mocks are mocks for a reason.

Of course I failed because I got the answer wrong, but you would think there was a similarity between mocks/CDT questions and the exam questions otherwise why bother and of course - sell them.
. It's really not sour grapes, I'm not a person that expects anything handed on a plate.
My point is just that - yes it's a money making business, what business isn't, but please lets not make it look like the mocks are of assistance or similar - their not, I feel the mocks are very easy, yet in reality the exam questions are in most cases 3 times longer than the 100 mocks questions.

Also the very first time I did a mock paper I completed it in 35 minutes = 80%, very first look at one. The exam questions took a lot more deciphering, no again I don't expect them to be simple, but you really did have to work out the questions, before thinking of the answer.

By the way, I am from a finance background and not totally new to taxation, DPA, Money Laundering and Bof E etc.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
[QUOTE="SOSDelta;64291701"]
Original post by 4B5
I feel the mocks are very easy, yet in reality the exam questions are in most cases 3 times longer than the 100 mocks questions.

Also the very first time I did a mock paper I completed it in 35 minutes = 80%, very first look at one. The exam questions took a lot more deciphering, no again I don't expect them to be simple, but you really did have to work out the questions, before thinking of the answer.

I guess each experience is different, I found the CDT was very much on a par with the actual exam, questions were different of course but not noticeably longer or significantly different. If you know the topic well enough then the way the question is worded should not lead to you getting a lesser score, but again each of us are different.

I think it's already been mentioned, 2 parts to the exam, if you pass one at least you only need to resit the other. If you have failed it all by a significant margin then I would suggest that much more study to understand the text is required.

Working in a bank I have seen many fail this one, most acknowledge they thought they could skim the text and wing it as it was multiple choice, I would say you could do that with Parts 2 and 3 if you have a reasonable understanding of Mortgages, not with part 1 though.

Hope you get through it.
Reply 44
Hi,
Yes I hope I get through too next time.

I didn't fail by a vast amount of incorrect answers. and Part 1 I skimmed the finishing line -buy thats how it goes.

Not sure if the exam has changed since you did it or ?? you work for the IFS, (joke)
But there is significant difference in the actual exam and mock papers.

Really, I would never think of hoping to skim through a test with fingers crossed etc, I have actually put in a lot of work and did not go near the exam until as I say was getting 80-90% in Mocks and as said before the CDT I did not think was at all challenging, I could go on it approx 9 times before getting one wrong, so I feel/felt I was quite competent in the studying I had done.

I was shocked at the exam and really - for financial reasons I would advise anyone not to waste money on mock papers, there are enough free questions and tests online to give you more of an idea. Or if adamant get them from Ebay for £10 for 3.

My exam questions were quite long and did need deciphering before thinking of the answer and then - you have to watch the clock.

Sorry 4B5 - but there was only me sat doing that exam and I am going back at it again, but really, I am not the only person on forums saying the same thing. I also know people that have been in the banking game for over 10 years and studied hard and failed, and to be fair, I can't think of many people who would pay almost £170 and not study hard and just think they may get through it.
I know a few people desperate, like single parents and people been made redundant - who need the exam.

But we're all entitled to our opinion.
Reply 45
It won't have changed I reckon, I only sat it in December 2015. I have moved on to DipMAP and have the first exam for that next month, I have also taken and passed CeFAP and CeRER since December, maybe I just know more about the financial industry than I give myself credit for.

I never used the mock exams that are available, I felt the CDT was sufficient. But anyway, good luck whichever way you go, I am sure you will get through it.
Reply 46
The CDT was suffient ? you mean the free trial one or paying hundreds for the one which gives more questions?

As I say the free trial CDT was easy, I thought, - not like the exam at all, so I would not chance spending on the
other CDT and I wouldn't advise anyone to spend more money on revision stuff, not after what I've seen of them.

Study the manual and keep testing yourself is what I say and do the Q & A in the manual, ask on forums.
Don't keep throwing money at it, it doesn't get you through the exam on the day.

Good luck to you too.
Reply 47
The CDT was suffient ? you mean the free trial one or paying hundreds for the one which gives more questions?

Did you purchase the training through the IFS? The CDT was not a trial, I got access to it all and never paid for it. I just checked and it's still valid. Might want to take that up with the IFS.
Reply 48
Original post by 4B5
Did you purchase the training through the IFS? The CDT was not a trial, I got access to it all and never paid for it. I just checked and it's still valid. Might want to take that up with the IFS.

Can i ask where you got the CDT
yeah i am failing both section and its really annoying because i really want to pass.

i dont know what to do?
Reply 50
Can i ask where you got the CDT

It's available when I log into the IFS website, when I registered for the CeMAP course and logged in the link to the CDT came up right away.

There are two sections to it, You can do a mock exam of 100 questions or smaller mock exams based on the different sections of the course.

There is a also a revision option as well, still questions but different ways of presenting then learning, dragging and dropping the right answers to boxes, that kind of thing.

Never paid for it or specifically asked for it, it was just there.
Reply 51
Original post by 4B5
It's available when I log into the IFS website, when I registered for the CeMAP course and logged in the link to the CDT came up right away.

There are two sections to it, You can do a mock exam of 100 questions or smaller mock exams based on the different sections of the course.

There is a also a revision option as well, still questions but different ways of presenting then learning, dragging and dropping the right answers to boxes, that kind of thing.

Never paid for it or specifically asked for it, it was just there.

Your honoured then, as I have the demo CDT only.
Reply 52
Your honoured then, as I have the demo CDT only.

I found out why, I work for a Bank who has a corporate agreement with the IFS, part of that is all employees get access to the CDT when studying CeMAP.
HI, Looking to get some help, I have been think about doing the CeMap course and reading on here everyone seem to have a different opinion.

I want to ask those who are already recently qualified and a mortgage advisor and got a job.

I have never worked in a bank or finance as such really but I do have good customer skills and very good at selling and have been working with targets for the last 4 year. I didn't gets good maths results at school or A' level's either.

So if i did this course how likely am I to get a job as a mortgage advisor???

please help who can many thanks
Re: CeMAP HI, Looking to get some help, I have been think about doing the CeMap course and reading on here everyone seem to have a different opinion.

I want to ask those who are already recently qualified and a mortgage advisor and got a job.

I have never worked in a bank or finance as such really but I do have good customer skills and very good at selling and have been working with targets for the last 4 year. I didn't gets good maths results at school or A' level's either.

Reply 55
Original post by albaforever

The thing to bear in mind here is that CeMAP does not make you a Mortgage Advisor, it does not even mean you will make a good Advisor. It simply gives you the required understanding to be one and meets the basic regulatory requirements needed to offer advice.

Even once you have CeMAP you still need to be supervised and meet the required competency levels for whichever firm you do business with before truly being able to work in advising role on your own.

If you have never worked in a bank or financial environment then you will find it more difficult against those who have, CeMAP is a popular course and there are a lot of advisor's out there.

Your options after CeMAP are either to find a company willing to take you on as self employed and get their training and support to enable you to give advice or use CeMAP to find a way into an advising environment such as a bank or other institution that offer mortgages.

So clearly it will be much more difficult to get into an advisor role in your position however not by any means impossible.

The bottom line however is that you need the qualification to get started, after that it's really all about you and how you come across to potential employers.
Reply 56
Original post by sukhmani
yeah i am failing both section and its really annoying because i really want to pass.

i dont know what to do?

Take more time to understand all the areas of the text, in my case when I worked through the course I made a lot of short bullet point notes, see the example attached.

Making notes like this helps it to sink in and also gives you a review document. All my notes are like this and ended up being about 40 pages but it really helps.
Reply 57
Hello , I have just gone through all the threads. Can someone help please, I have booked my cemap 2 exams in July 2016 and have course material from IFS and looking for some past papers and extra study material . I cleared Cemap 1 last year and attended simply academy fast track course. I am thinking to book myself for E learning course through simply this time not sure though if I will get same study material as in class. Anyone over here who has done course through them?
Reply 58
How did you find the simply academy Cemap 1 course? I'm thinking of doing the London one shortly
Reply 59
Hi guys

I'm selling alot of my CEMAP 123 reading modules as I've recently qualified. Anyone interested?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending