The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath 2012 Applicants thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karony

Well, I can only refer to London, which is quite specific, obviously.
But I think it quite depends on the place. One friend of mine was very well accepted and blended in in Oxford, but other one - college in Brighton- says that foreigners tend to stay together, and that 'it's difficult to get among English kidz'

So I'm afraid I can't really answer your question. But overall I think that the attitude is rather neutral or slightly positive ( on unis)

Maybe some British person can tell us how do you perceive intl' students?

Thatz so practical of u :smile:.......but the thing is, I dont know any british person:frown: and everyone will have different opinion so I thought it better to ask int'l student itself.
Nyways thankz for ur opinion........will be glad to see u at the uni :smile:(If I get in)

Btw do u know anymore int.students who have taken psychology at bath?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by andrei.varban
MSc Advanced Management Practice is at postgraduate level. It is a great course as it provides a placement for 22 weeks. I see that the many students on this forum will study at undergraduate level math/pharmacy/biology/psychology.
I find this quite strange as Bath is better ranked in business studies(no. 5 in UK).

YAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!! :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :jive: :dance:

I'm doing BBA!!! :dance:
Original post by foolscap
Mmm that's a lot of maths modules you got there and some good scores, congrats :smile:, did you actually fall asleep in an exam room though ? :laugh:
I'm wondering if Bath will take the first few weeks to go over some FM stuff to get everyone onto a level playing field and get us into the swing of things, or just go straight in. I'll probably forget everything I know over the summer, 3 months without any maths...:eek:

Also, a friend of mine recently brought this to my attention:
http://www.studentbeans.com/student101/a/Universities/university-drinking-league-2011-who-drinks-the-most-2036.html
6th position for Bath:^_^:

Sorry I was looking over the thread to avoid revision, thought id let you know what to expect when you get here.

Your 1st semester of Methods will be a complete re-run of all the calculus you did in Maths + FM (with a few extra bits ofc!). Matrices will come up a little in Computing/Algebra but nothing remotely difficult. Stats will have a few similar things to A-level but it will all be proved rigorously. Apart from that the rest is all new stuff, and some old stuff but done very formally and with lots of proofs. So don't worry about forgetting FM, Unis completely different to A-levels anyways!

[But do try to remember power series and summation formulas, they come up a lot 1st semester aha :smile:]
Reply 1083
Original post by Mohitraje
Thatz so practical of u :smile:.......but the thing is, I dont know any british person:frown: and everyone will have different opinion so I thought it better to ask int'l student itself.
Nyways thankz for ur opinion........will be glad to see u at the uni :smile:(If I get in)

Btw do u know anymore int.students who have taken psychology at bath?

You are welcome :wink:

Well I dont know anyone from Bath, but I spoke to one lecturer at UCL and she told me that their intl' students tend to be really good ( and i guess it's quite similar at Bath) - but the bottom line is English. If your English is not good it's almost impossible to gain good scores. And after more than half of my course I have to agree with her. Writing is crucial and is not only about grammar but also about style. So just beware :smile: ( but you know, native english also have problems with styling :wink:

So I wish you good luck, do you already have any offer?

However I wish I know any intl' student from bath - I want to ask whether lecturers are ok with the use of dictaphones.
Original post by Quadratic
Sorry I was looking over the thread to avoid revision, thought id let you know what to expect when you get here.

Your 1st semester of Methods will be a complete re-run of all the calculus you did in Maths + FM (with a few extra bits ofc!). Matrices will come up a little in Computing/Algebra but nothing remotely difficult. Stats will have a few similar things to A-level but it will all be proved rigorously. Apart from that the rest is all new stuff, and some old stuff but done very formally and with lots of proofs. So don't worry about forgetting FM, Unis completely different to A-levels anyways!

[But do try to remember power series and summation formulas, they come up a lot 1st semester aha :smile:]

kk I like calculus and I like matrices so that seems good. Proofs can be annoying but still something I would like to learn, I've heard that there's a lot of proofs in uni maths. I also noticed you mentioned stats and not mechanics, I really dislike mechanics, are there any compulsory mechanics modules in the bath maths course?
Original post by karony
You are welcome :wink:

Well I dont know anyone from Bath, but I spoke to one lecturer at UCL and she told me that their intl' students tend to be really good ( and i guess it's quite similar at Bath) - but the bottom line is English. If your English is not good it's almost impossible to gain good scores. And after more than half of my course I have to agree with her. Writing is crucial and is not only about grammar but also about style. So just beware :smile: ( but you know, native english also have problems with styling :wink:

So I wish you good luck, do you already have any offer?

However I wish I know any intl' student from bath - I want to ask whether lecturers are ok with the use of dictaphones.

Thankzz for the luck I need it :wink:.......I haven't heard them from them yet :frown: wbu??

Btw I did got 7.5 in the IELTS writting module so is it sfficient enough or do I need to improve??

I dont see any problem in using dictaphone, I mean it doesn't disturb the class room environment in any way...........itz juz my opinion, dont know for sure!!
Reply 1086
Thankzz for the luck I need it :wink:.......I haven't heard them from them yet :frown: wbu??

Btw I did got 7.5 in the IELTS writting module so is it sfficient enough or do I need to improve??

I dont see any problem in using dictaphone, I mean it doesn't disturb the class room environment in any way...........itz juz my opinion, dont know for sure!!

Any Uni? That is strange, when did you apply?

7.5 in writing is nice :smile:
But IELTS does not have anything to do with 'actual' academic writing. Really.
If you feel like, you may read some articles from peer reviewed journals, check how they're organised and what language is used. Useful phrases, signposting language and so... It helps me.
But I assume, that the first semester is going to be designed to help us develop correct academic style.

Btw. I'm doing my IELTS on 12/5 and I need overall 7.0 and not less than 6.5 in each module
(fyi: Actually, writing is the part I'm afraid of most)
I've now set a picture of Bath as my phone background so any time I go on there I'm reminded that I should be revising :tongue:

Original post by Quadratic

Either I haven't seen any power series, or I've done them and not known that they are power series. What are they?

kk I like calculus and I like matrices so that seems good. Proofs can be annoying but still something I would like to learn, I've heard that there's a lot of proofs in uni maths. I also noticed you mentioned stats and not mechanics, I really dislike mechanics, are there any compulsory mechanics modules in the bath maths course?

I'm not a mechanics fan and when I was comparing my 3 favourite unis, I had a look at the modules from them. Bath didn't appear to have any mechanics which was one of the things that made me prefer it to Exeter and Bristol.

And I really like stats :biggrin:
Reply 1088
Original post by Contrad!ction.
Either I haven't seen any power series, or I've done them and not known that they are power series. What are they?

A standard way of expressing many types of function in polynomial form.

f(x)=n=0an(xc)n f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \cdot (x - c)^n

Here's a well-known example:

ex=n=0xnn! e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \cdot \cfrac{x^n}{n!}
Original post by roblee
A standard way of expressing many types of function in polynomial form.

f(x)=n=0an(xc)n f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \cdot (x - c)^n

Here's a well-known example:

ex=n=0xnn! e^x = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \cdot \cfrac{x^n}{n!}

We've done the bottom one in FP2, Maclaurin series. So would power series just be all of the different types of series, so binomial, Maclaurin, Taylor etc?
Reply 1090
We've done the bottom one in FP2, Maclaurin series. So would power series just be all of the different types of series, so binomial, Maclaurin, Taylor etc?

Yes, anything written in that format is a power series. I'm not a mathematics undergrad so Quadratic is welcome to correct me on this, but I imagine that after refreshing on these methods there'll be more focus on actually working on the series rather than just generating them (which is boring by itself).
Original post by roblee
Yes, anything written in that format is a power series. I'm not a mathematics undergrad so Quadratic is welcome to correct me on this, but I imagine that after refreshing on these methods there'll be more focus on actually working on the series rather than just generating them (which is boring by itself).

As soon as I read your reply, I felt like a bit of an idiot. The use of 'power' and 'series' should have made it obvious :laugh:

Definitely. I'm finding most of FP2 quite boring, because it's all series and approximation and formulae. Exception being hyperbolics and their integration. One teacher's getting all the crap bits, and she's the less interesting teacher so it leads to me hating Maclaurin, errors, Taylor, Newton-Raphson etc whilst the other teacher does polar coordinates and hyperbolics and chats all lesson.
I've now set a picture of Bath as my phone background so any time I go on there I'm reminded that I should be revising :tongue:

I'm not a mechanics fan and when I was comparing my 3 favourite unis, I had a look at the modules from them. Bath didn't appear to have any mechanics which was one of the things that made me prefer it to Exeter and Bristol.

And I really like stats :biggrin:

woo stats :biggrin: counting down the days till i say goodbye to mechanics then :tongue:
Bath, Bristol and Exeter, a penchant for south west England?
I chose Bath over Bristol in the end as I felt Bath had a much stronger focus on the sciences, maths is the most popular course at Bath :smile:
Original post by karony
Any Uni? That is strange, when did you apply?

7.5 in writing is nice :smile:
But IELTS does not have anything to do with 'actual' academic writing. Really.
If you feel like, you may read some articles from peer reviewed journals, check how they're organised and what language is used. Useful phrases, signposting language and so... It helps me.
But I assume, that the first semester is going to be designed to help us develop correct academic style.

Btw. I'm doing my IELTS on 12/5 and I need overall 7.0 and not less than 6.5 in each module

No, juz bath.......I am holding offer from Edinburgh, Leicester and durham.
I applied somewhere around october end ..........maybe am an int'l student thatz y they r taking so long.................Is it highly unusual of not getting a reply yet??

Btw thankzz for ur advice I'll try to follow it..............u seem to know everything about the academics nd itz requirements:smile:

Best of luck!! for ur IELTS I wish u get the desired score.......and dont worry about the writting module , little bit of practice nd fancy vocabulary will get u the score:wink:........refer cambridge books they r the best!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1094
Original post by karony
I'm doing my IELTS on 12/5 and I need overall 7.0 and not less than 6.5 in each module

Don't worry. You are most likely underestimating your English proficiency greatly. I thought everything went to the infernal depths of Hell and back again, but I turned out with a 7.5 overall with 8.0 in reading, 7.0 in writing, and 7.5 in the other modules, even though I stuttered like a nervous wreck during the speaking test.
Reply 1095
Original post by stifa
Don't worry. You are most likely underestimating your English proficiency greatly. I thought everything went to the infernal depths of Hell and back again, but I turned out with a 7.5 overall with 8.0 in reading, 7.0 in writing, and 7.5 in the other modules, even though I stuttered like a nervous wreck during the speaking test.

Oh, thanks a lot, really :smile:
But you know, I have an issue with this kind of standardised tests which doesn't actually reflect what they should be reflecting.
But I guess I can only do my best on 12th :smile:

Btw. Norwegian similar to English or rather German?
Reply 1096
No, juz bath.......I am holding offer from Edinburgh, Leicester and durham.
I applied somewhere around october end ..........maybe am an int'l student thatz y they r taking so long.................Is it highly unusual of not getting a reply yet??

Btw thankzz for ur advice I'll try to follow it..............u seem to know everything about the academics nd itz requirements:smile:

Best of luck!! for ur IELTS I wish u get the desired score.......and dont worry about the writting module , little bit of practice nd fancy vocabulary will get u the score:wink:........refer cambridge books they r the best!!!

Congrats:smile:
Well, I don't now, but Bath was the last one to give me some answer too. So I guess they are just picky :smile:

Well, as I said I'm doing Academic English course - tutors keep emphasising all the formalities and requirements over and over again. But I guess it's helpful ( After half a year I'm able to understand an journal article, which I just cluelessly scanned through and gave up before) However if I find some nice book about academic writing I'll let you know.
I don't know it is of any interest for you, but I kinda like this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Study-Skills-Handbook-Palgrave/dp/0230573053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335092455&sr=8-1 - it's quite general but I found it helpful.
And we were also recommended this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0521521491/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
So you might just have a look if you wish.
Original post by karony
Congrats:smile:
Well, I don't now, but Bath was the last one to give me some answer too. So I guess they are just picky :smile:

Well, as I said I'm doing Academic English course - tutors keep emphasising all the formalities and requirements over and over again. But I guess it's helpful ( After half a year I'm able to understand an journal article, which I just cluelessly scanned through and gave up before) However if I find some nice book about academic writing I'll let you know.
I don't know it is of any interest for you, but I kinda like this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Study-Skills-Handbook-Palgrave/dp/0230573053/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335092455&sr=8-1 - it's quite general but I found it helpful.
And we were also recommended this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0521521491/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
So you might just have a look if you wish.

Well!! I checked on the links nd the books seem interesting.........I guess ma school library has one of them so I'll juz give a read to it :smile:

Do let me know if u find some another interesting books........
woo stats :biggrin: counting down the days till i say goodbye to mechanics then :tongue:
Bath, Bristol and Exeter, a penchant for south west England?
I chose Bath over Bristol in the end as I felt Bath had a much stronger focus on the sciences, maths is the most popular course at Bath :smile:

My head of maths got a 0 in his mechanics unit at uni, I reckon we share the same mathematical interests tbh :laugh:

I live in SW England, the other 2 unis were Sussex and Notts, because I knew they wouldn't do interviews. I can't really afford to do interviews. I prefer the whole campus thing Bath's got going on, plus I'd only originally applied to Bristol because I needed another uni :tongue:
My head of maths got a 0 in his mechanics unit at uni, I reckon we share the same mathematical interests tbh :laugh:

I live in SW England, the other 2 unis were Sussex and Notts, because I knew they wouldn't do interviews. I can't really afford to do interviews. I prefer the whole campus thing Bath's got going on, plus I'd only originally applied to Bristol because I needed another uni :tongue:

I'd only originally applied to Bath because I needed another uni! :biggrin: Notts is my insurance, I'm a sucker for a brand new maths building :tongue:
It was annoying for me, as I went to the Bristol open day which was 4 hours getting there and 4 getting back, and then two weeks later got on the exact same trains to go to bath, just got off one stop earlier....:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest