The Student Room Group

5th A level?

jl
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by BenjaminKyle
Well, I just got my GCSE results - and although my effort was really quite lackluster throughout the year I still managed the joint highest grades in my school which was 6A*'s 3A's and a B

Mathematics A*
English Literature A*
Chemistry A*
History A*
Business A*
R.E A*

Physics A (5 UMS off A* because of stupid coursework -.-)
Biology A (1 UMS off A* because of stupid coursework -.-)
English Language A

Technology B

My A levels choices at the moment are (i'm striving towards mathematics at Oxbridge)

Further Maths
Maths
Chemistry
Physics

Yet i'm still very dubious as to whether I should take 5 A levels or not, and add an extra one to that collection.

I was thinking maybe english literature? or psychology?

Should i even be considering a 5th a level, and just do 4 and concentrate solely on those? Will 5 spread out my effort too much and render me with less time to spend on each subject? Is the work load too exhaustive?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has taken 5 A levels can tell me if it's worth it, and what you thought about it.

Also, if i do take 5, what 5th A level would be good to go with the 4 I am already taking?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Ben

Definitely don't take a 5th A level! I'm sure you are more than capable on doing well if you chose 5 subjects, however it won't help you getting into university. Usually universities only take into consideration 3 A levels so having 2 extra ones is a bit useless. I would advise anyone to use the time you would have spent doing an extra subject to do some kind of extra curricular activity, this looks much better than the fifth A level :smile: The 4 you have picked are very strong subjects, and yes picking an extra one would give you a bigger range of university courses but it's not worth it! It is very time consuming and it is already a lot of work with the 4 subjects you've already picked! Hope this has helped :biggrin:
Reply 2
Well, I just got my GCSE results - and although my effort was really quite lackluster throughout the year I still managed the joint highest grades in my school which was 6A*'s 3A's and a B

Mathematics A*
English Literature A*
Chemistry A*
History A*
Business A*
R.E A*

Physics A (5 UMS off A* because of stupid coursework -.-)
Biology A (1 UMS off A* because of stupid coursework -.-)
English Language A

Technology B

My A levels choices at the moment are (i'm striving towards mathematics at Oxbridge)

Further Maths
Maths
Chemistry
Physics

Yet i'm still very dubious as to whether I should take 5 A levels or not, and add an extra one to that collection.

I was thinking maybe english literature? or psychology?

Should i even be considering a 5th a level, and just do 4 and concentrate solely on those? Will 5 spread out my effort too much and render me with less time to spend on each subject? Is the work load too exhaustive?

I'd appreciate it if anyone who has taken 5 A levels can tell me if it's worth it, and what you thought about it.

Also, if i do take 5, what 5th A level would be good to go with the 4 I am already taking?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Ben

Urm if you want do do math at Oxbridge..you really do have to be a fantastic mathematician..it goes beyond grades really. Instead of the extra A level, try to do more maths modules, just do as much math as you possibly can.
Reply 3
thanks for the input guys :smile: is there anyone out there who has done/is doing 5 A levels, and knows what the possible benefits are, and just their overall thoughts. Just so i can get a bit more of an informed decision and see both sides of the argument ? :biggrin: I'm starting to lean more towards english literature as a 5th as I enjoy it quite a lot - and perhaps doing 5 A levels will give me more of an edge in the application process? still pretty unsure though :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
thanks for the input guys :smile: is there anyone out there who has done/is doing 5 A levels, and what the benefits are, and just their overall thoughts. Just so i can get a bit more of an informed decision and see both sides of the argument ? :biggrin: I'm starting to lean more towards english literature as a 5th as I enjoy it quite a lot, still pretty unsure though :redface:

Well, I did 7 AS' this year, and if you look at my sig you can see the results - not the best! Most uni's will only ask for three full A Levels and an extra AS (maybe even two!) For the top ones just try and get 90%+ in each module and as mentioned above do more modules? Or some form of 'not as hard as A Level but still relevant' qualification!
Reply 5
Those subjects are perfect for what you want to do - the other's you've suggested wouldn't be as relevant so wouldn't help very much. I applied to Oxford for Maths and Philosophy and you'd be better off practicing for the entrance exam rather than doing an extra A-level :smile:
I did 5 A levels (biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths) after persuading my school to let me, as I really wanted to do these 5. I wanted to keep all options for uni open within science subjects as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I'm now going to do natural sciences at Durham, and my A levels give me a great choice for the modules I can take. It is hard work, but I found it to be easily managable. I got A* in biology and 4 A's. I wanted to do this so put in the work, so if it's what you want and you are willing to work it's totally do-able!
Reply 7
I will be starting five A-Levels in September (Maths, Further Maths, Electronics, Physics and Computer Science).

The reason I chose five instead of four; I have never really programmed anything in my life and Computer Science at university is something I'm considering (as well as Physics and Maths). I realise that Maths/Further Maths/Physics will be the three main subjects they will look for in a Computer Science degree applicant, but I don't want to apply for a Computer Science degree and then find out it wasn't what I thought it was. As a result I figured I would try it out (maybe just AS).

I'm aiming for something along the lines of A*A*AA at A2, to achieve this I would need to drop Computer Science because it would be very difficult to do extra-curricular activities (don't go too crazy on these; they only really shine on a medicine application), read all my science books, compete in Olympiads and get them grades.

I only see it as if I'm taking 4.5 subjects because they all relate in some way.
Reply 8
Ahh so many different opinions on each side. Looks like I have a very tough decision over the coming week or two! Thanks all for the input :biggrin: really appreciate it!

If anyone else has an opinion to add please do :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Sagacious
I will be starting five A-Levels in September (Maths, Further Maths, Electronics, Physics and Computer Science).

The reason I chose five instead of four; I have never really programmed anything in my life and Computer Science at university is something I'm considering (as well as Physics and Maths). I realise that Maths/Further Maths/Physics will be the three main subjects they will look for in a Computer Science degree applicant, but I don't want to apply for a Computer Science degree and then find out it wasn't what I thought it was. As a result I figured I would try it out (maybe just AS).

I'm aiming for something along the lines of A*A*AA at A2, to achieve this I would need to drop Computer Science because it would be very difficult to do extra-curricular activities (don't go too crazy on these; they only really shine on a medicine application), read all my science books, compete in Olympiads and get them grades.

I only see it as if I'm taking 4.5 subjects because they all relate in some way.

I see I see, yes I agree that 5 can open up more options for you; I guess I am just thinking about doing 5 to stand out a bit more and have a bit of an 'edge', and plus, maybe i'll enjoy the 5th subject, who knows? :P - still unsure though!
I see I see, yes I agree that 5 can open up more options for you; I guess I am just thinking about doing 5 to stand out a bit more and have a bit of an 'edge', and plus, maybe i'll enjoy the 5th subject, who knows? :P - still unsure though!

Well you could try all of them, after one month if you're struggling/not enjoying the 5th subject then drop it.

I'm not sure if it will give you an advantage unless it's closely related.

Quick Reply

Latest