The Student Room Group

As/A Level tips for everyone going into year 12!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Contrad!ction.
doesn't have a negative effect on your education?

PAST PAPERS! Do them. Read the mark schemes and learn what the examiners are looking for. I found that I'd dropped a few marks in my past papers for not writing out my working out - don't allow yourself to lose marks for stupid reasons. Science exams are especially critical with the mark schemes. Do 'homework' on the same day/week as the lesson, so that it sinks in more and you actually understand it so you're not stuck wondering how on earth you find the argument of 3+4i three days before your exam.

Also, when you revise, revise smartly - revise the way it benefits you most. I know some people who get stuff to sink in by reading things over and over again, whilst some people revise by doing stuff and I revise better by working out why something works. Don't make a timetable if it's not going to benefit you. I didn't use one because I found I got more done when I felt like working as opposed to 'at 5pm for two hours with fifteen minute breaks'.

Timetables never worked for me either. I remember my teacher insisted I make one as everyone else was in class that day. So she gave me a template so I filled it in and then didnt go by it. just glanced at it and thought woopsies I havent done the sheduled organic chemistry yet but I've done Baroque Music that wasnt scheduled for 2 weeks time lol lol lol.
Reply 41
Great tips everyone! :smile: I'm just about to go into Year 12, so these are really helpful :smile:
Reply 42
This is so useful, thank you!
Original post by Jonesdawiz
What? At As you got an A and then A2 all you needed was a DDC to get an AAA overall? wowz :O

Yeah! I needed those grades in my final exams in June to get AAA overall.

Trust me, doing well at AS will help you so much.

Oh wait sorry, I needed DCC, not DDC :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
It's all about time management, and KEEPING that plan till the end.
It will pay off :smile:

Other tips, which throughout my AS year I have found very useful:

- Try and have your 8 hours sleep, and your brain won't weight as much LOL
- When you get up in the morning, turn the radio on, and listen to the News.
Believe it or not, this helps stimulate your brain, and eventually you'll be able to absorb info better (because youre training your brain in a healthy way)
- DO NOT skip breakfast (that was unknown to me till I started 6th form LOL) but it helps maintain your brain 'charged'
- Avoid things like coffee or energy drinks, they don't make you stay awake for longer. They simply damage your liver more and then you'll end up at A&E for a few hours (that you could be using wisely doing whatever else)
- Avoid smoking/drinking, as these damage your brain cells, and especially if you're doing 'traditional' subjects (History, Language, English Lit., Chemistry, etc), you do need to have a fresh brain :smile:
- When you start revision (January), DO deactivate your Facebook account, avoid watching TV for too many hours, and avoid 'day-dreaming' at all costs. Time is gold and in less than 9 months, you have your most important exams (yet) to excel in!
- ALWAYS carry a bottle of water in your bag. Believe me, when you're sitting in the library reading for your life, there's nothing better than water :smile:
- When I listen to music on the way to school, I realise that the lyrics don't go off my head, ever, and tbh, I don't need them LOL, so what Ive done instead is - reading a book :smile:
Helps stimulate your brain, and again, useful info is going in :smile:

I know this sounds really harsh, but if you follow these tips, you'll go a LONG way :smile: -

By the time you get to A2, your body and mind are already used to a 'harsh' routine, so you'll find it an easier year to fly by - although it's the crucial one, but because it's your 2nd year, you sort of know what sacrifices you'd have to make to excel, again :smile:

Whoever is starting their Year 12/13 this month... Good luck guys, and remember.. You have to be cruel to be kind :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Totally agree with OP :yy:
Reply 46
Thanks for posting this! Really helpful since im about to start Year 12 next week :smile:!
Reply 47
Thanks for everyone's contributions :smile:

I'm starting this Monday :biggrin:
Reply 48
Original post by Tateco
My advice:

If you are considering taking further maths, then for the love of god take it, or you WILL regret it

Seconded. I nearly didn't take further maths because I figured I wasn't good enough at maths for it, and I am so, so glad that I changed my mind.

It's easier to start off with too many subjects, and drop one, than it is to take up another.
Reply 49
Original post by kerily
Seconded. I nearly didn't take further maths because I figured I wasn't good enough at maths for it, and I am so, so glad that I changed my mind.

It's easier to start off with too many subjects, and drop one, than it is to take up another.

Congratulations on getting into UCL by the way :h:
Reply 50
Original post by Tateco
Congratulations on getting into UCL by the way :h:

Why thankyou :biggrin: I'm excited as anything :smile:
Original post by cdoyle
Timetables never worked for me either. I remember my teacher insisted I make one as everyone else was in class that day. So she gave me a template so I filled it in and then didnt go by it. just glanced at it and thought woopsies I havent done the sheduled organic chemistry yet but I've done Baroque Music that wasnt scheduled for 2 weeks time lol lol lol.

Haha I just put 'maths' 'physics' 'chemistry' 'further maths' in alternating boxes. My reg teacher knew I wouldn't be following it so she okayed it :tongue:
Reply 52
If when I put my options down they say I can't because they clash there will be ructions!
Reply 53
I chose - English Lit, History, Psychology and Sociology

Any tips on how to do well specifically on this?
Original post by Jonesdawiz
If when I put my options down they say I can't because they clash there will be ructions!

Ructions?
Original post by VickyDoodle
Ructions?

Great word, ructions. +rep to him :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest