The Student Room Group

A Levels Choices?

Hi, I have just completed my GCSEs and got 6 A*s, 4 As, and a Pass in Further Maths. I'm now going on to study at College and am considering taking A Levels in Chemistry, Biology, History and either Maths or English. I am trying to keep options open as much as possible but would like know are these A Levels acceptable for a Medicine or Law Degree. Also are there other professions which these choices lead to?

Thanks!
Original post by Jayooo
Hi, I have just completed my GCSEs and got 6 A*s, 4 As, and a Pass in Further Maths. I'm now going on to study at College and am considering taking A Levels in Chemistry, Biology, History and either Maths or English. I am trying to keep options open as much as possible but would like know are these A Levels acceptable for a Medicine or Law Degree. Also are there other professions which these choices lead to?

Thanks!

Good for law whether you do Maths or English :smile:
Reply 2
What about Medicine?
Reply 3
well done on your gcses! yes they are good for both very demanding though =) but if your passionate about them you shall do well :smile: x
Reply 4
I would personally say maths as medical universities prefer students with 3 sciences
Reply 5
For medicine it doesn't matter. Some prefer a "different" 3rd A2 like an essay subject, some prefer a science. If you're considering Law as well I would take English (Lit right?) but take whatever you think you'll be better at.
Reply 6
im in the same position as you! i wanna do science/english/philosophy at uni and im keeping my options open :smile:

im doing english lit, philosophy, history, chem, bio
and i self taught maths this summer like a nerd
i think you should do ENGLISH LITERATURE! :biggrin:

well done on your gcse results!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Jayooo

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

I would advise you not to do subjects that are as broad as that. Certainly top universities will want you to have focussed on grouping a set of subjects to prepare you for one or the other of those courses.

I would recommend the following: Biology, Chemisty, Maths & Physics for Medicine and History, Geography, English Literature and a language for Law.

Definitely read the leaflet from Cambridge University called: "Subject Matters".

Good luck with what ever you choose to do! :smile:
Reply 8
In the end I took Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History.
Reply 9
I want to do dentistryy.. shall i take geography or economics as a fourth subject????

Quick Reply

Latest