The Student Room Group

Applying for VetMed - include a backup course?

I'm planning on applying to Cambridge, Bristol, Liverpool & Nottingham (2012 entry) and I've always thought I'd just apply to 4 because I know that if I don't get in I'll reapply next year.
But, even though I know I'd reapply, is it sensible to include a 5th option (something like Bioveterinary Sciences, Anatomical Sciences or Zoology) as an emergency backup?

Also, on a slightly separate note, I'm applying for Cambridge and the average of my modules in Biology, Chemistry and Maths is 85.4%, when they want an average of over 86%. Would they really be picky enough to not like that or if I work really hard at the BMAT and (hopefully) do well at interview, have I got a chance?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Some people don't put one as they know that they would not do anything other than reapply the next year. Other people put a back up in case with the plan of turning it down, but it is there just in case. If you realised you were not going to be anywhere near the grades you need, or something happened that meant you did want to go to university *now* and not take a year out. It is up to you, but to a large degree you may as well put a back up, then you can decide to decline the offer if you want later on, but saves you wishing you had an offer in something else later.

You need to decide what you want from a back up course though - one which will help you if you decided to do vet med later as a graduate (so one that has as much useful overlap as possible), although I really, really would not recommend this route! Or, one which would lead you into other fields that you would be interested in working in (lab work, welfare work, etc etc.)
Reply 2
Cambridge requiring an average of over 86% in the modules is bumpf. If you are predicted good enough grades to meet their average offer, you have as good a chance as anybody else. They specify the word 'reasonable' on their website, which means exactly what it says, they aren't going to be pedantic, picky or silly.

A good BMAT score and a good PS will help you to get an interview, but once you have an interview they don't matter so much. Your GCSE and AS grades don't matter very much at all, provided your predicted sufficiently good A-levels and your BMAT is good.

If your GCSEs, AS-levels and BMAT were all poor, then you would be less likely to get an interview, but you don't find out your BMAT score out until after you apply, so you may as well apply anyway on the off chance your BMAT score is awesome.

I have a string of B grades at GCSE and a friend of mine had CCC at AS-level when she applied. Annoys the heck out of me that people propagate the myth that you require a perfect academic record from birth to stand a chance, you don't, you just need to show potential. They don't want students with 10A* grades and a hovercraft Mother who had them coached in mathematics aged three, they want somebody passionate who is willing and able to learn, and they find out whether that is you from talking to you, not from your modular average.

Really, if you fancy it, try it:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks both of you! That's great, made me feel quite a bit more confident :smile: I'm just going to go for 4 VetMed courses and work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending