The Student Room Group

public/constitutional law - please help

i have a project due in tommorrow about the scottish parliament and don't understand one of the questions:

how does an MSP who is not a member of the executive promote a piece of legislation? compare and contrast this with the oppertunities available to an MP. identify two pieces of such legislation, one promoted by an MP, one promoted by an MSP.

anyone have any ideas?
Reply 1
to anyone interested i have realised this is to do with members' Bills (private members' Bills in England). basically, it is harder for backbenchers in england to promote legislation beacuse there is only a certain amount of time dedicated to it.
I think the reason you have not received a reply is because most people here are studying English law degrees which do not place the same amount of emphasis on Scottish issues and the Scottish Parliament. I'd suggest you try reading about it in a text book. I know the standard ones such as Bradley and Ewing give it some coverage but there could well be books with more emphasis on Scotland. You probably need to look at things like Private Members Bills and their Scottish equivalent and the role of the executive in both systems. Look at things like barriers to the Bill's success such as time limits, chances of gaining support. If you want to bring in wider issues you could link to the limited subject areas that the Scots parliament can legislate on and how that justifies a wider role for members of parliament out of the governing party.

Latest

Trending

Trending