The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

S151 - Maths for science. Anyone familiar with course materials?

After some advice on here and taking a more detailed look at the 'Are you ready' thing on the OU website, I decided that this module isn't completely necessary for me and would just be a waste of time, especially fitting it alongside another 60 point module. I decided I'm just going to buy the course book second hand and work through it now, before my other modules start. I only really need it as a refresher.

My question is... Is the book enough? The materials listed on their website are

Study book including explanations, worked examples and questions; study guide, CD-ROM, book of revision questions, online interactive assessments, website.

Does anyone know if the other materials are important or will the book before enough for what I need it for?

Thanks.
Reply 1
The book should be enough, it wasn't a hard module.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Great, thanks. I'll get it ordered.
Reply 3
I'm interested in this book as well. Where can I order it from?
I've found some parts of it quite hard but I can't for the life of me remember where I put the CD rom so I've done without it. It's not used throughout the whole course, just a couple of key points. So if you already know most of the subject material and are just looking for a refresher I think just getting the book and working through it will do just fine.
Reply 5
I had a nightmare getting the book. I ordered one from Amazon and they sent me half the book (first page was 126) with a printed out B&W cover bound to the front. I wasn't amused but managed to get my money back.

Original post by Nitebot
I'm interested in this book as well. Where can I order it from?

This is where I got mine
http://www.ouw.co.uk/store/catalog/S151-Maths-for-Science,798.aspx

I didn't realise the OU had their own book store.

Does anyone know where I can get some kind of revision questions? I think when someone actually does the course they get them included, but as I'm doing it by myself I'm lacking practice material. The book has a few questions on each subject, but not enough for me to feel comfortable that I've fully understood the section so I was hoping to find a bit more for practice.
Reply 6
Thanks for that. Pricey though! I've got the science good study guide which has a big maths section so I might use that as a reminder.
Reply 7
Original post by Nitebot
Thanks for that. Pricey though! I've got the science good study guide which has a big maths section so I might use that as a reminder.

I'm just taking a look at reviews for the book now. I think I might get it. I know it starts off at a very basic level, but does it get more advanced as it progresses? A few reviews have compared it to GCSE material. Does it go far beyond this level?
Reply 8
Yes it's a good book (the study guide) as it shows you how to approach science and applied maths questions properly. If I had the book memorised, I'd have no fear!! :smile: But I'd say it's really for someone who hasn't done science to a proper examination level (or hasn't done it for a long time). The content may only be at GCSE level but the general advice is suitable for all levels. It's probably not essential if you've got a couple of science modules under your belt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the info. I'm not too sure if that would benefit me. I really just need something with practice questions for the things covered in S151 so I may have to keep searching.
Reply 10
Original post by smulx
Thanks for the info. I'm not too sure if that would benefit me. I really just need something with practice questions for the things covered in S151 so I may have to keep searching.

Have you tried the KhanAcademy practice questions?

1. Log in with google
2. Get ten in a row repeatedly or until fingers begin to bleed
3. Profit

It worked very well for me for everything pre-calc :smile:

There's also the schaum's series, the dummies workbooks, and of course good old stroud for the applied side which is also packed with exercises.

Edit - Forgot to add that if you want cheap course material, UniversityBookSearch sell ex library copies and second handers for a lot less than the OU shop. That's where I got lots of my material from a good half a year to a year before each course began.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Moggs
Have you tried the KhanAcademy practice questions?

1. Log in with google
2. Get ten in a row repeatedly or until fingers begin to bleed
3. Profit

It worked very well for me for everything pre-calc :smile:

There's also the schaum's series, the dummies workbooks, and of course good old stroud for the applied side which is also packed with exercises.

Edit - Forgot to add that if you want cheap course material, UniversityBookSearch sell ex library copies and second handers for a lot less than the OU shop. That's where I got lots of my material from a good half a year to a year before each course began.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know that was on KhanAcademy. I've watched loads of videos on there but had no idea there was a question section. That should help quite a lot. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest