The Student Room Group

Choosing AS Subjects!!!

Hey TSR!
I just finished GCSE so it AS time. I was told by one of my teachers it would be a good move if I take 5 AS subjects and 4 A2. My 4 AS subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics so I need to chose one more. So I am asking which other subject should I take for AS, I was thinking something to do with business or economics. I am also thinking about History or Psychology. Which one of these is the easiest and most interesting because I will have to study it by myself without a teacher. I think science subjects along a business understanding will look good at universities, is this true? Also if I chose one of the businesses I can get access to a teacher often. I will most likely go down a medical path at University but you never know.
Thanks
Reply 1
If you are doing 5 AS then you have to do Maths and Further Maths. I don't think that there is enough timetabled lessons to do 5 separate ones. :smile:
Reply 2
I would say Economics. Wouldn't take Business if i was you. It's seen as a 'soft' subject to universities, especially the top ones. I do economics at A Level myself but didn't do too well, as you can maybe see! It's very interesting and i love it but that grade is just due to lack of revision as I did none at all! But yeah, it is a well respected subject and can be quite difficult but if you put the effort in then it's more than do-able. Good luck! :biggrin:
First of all, find out which subjects you can actually do. Timetabling can be a nightmare.

At this point, whatever subject you point wouldn't matter. As you're looking for some science career, the only subject that would really help would be Further Maths.

There are lists of 'recommended subjects' by universities. History/English lit. are seen as good subjects all round. It honestly depends on your strengths to be honest. Go with your strengths - though the should speak with teachers about what the course entails.

Quick Reply

Latest