The Student Room Group

Need urgent help with higher history essay!

Hi, I crashed higher history like a week ago, and I have a homework essay on a topic I wasn't there when they studied. The teacher kept saying she would go over it with me but she didn't... And now it's due for Tuesday!!!! Can anyone give mr any help on structure, content etc as I am completely clueless!!! I will love you forever if anyone can help me think up an essay to answer the following question:

To what extent were britain's military victories in the wars of the eighteenth century the main reason for the development of the Atlantic slave trade?
Reply 1
Please please please help I am in tears because of this essay/
Reply 2
I hate you all.
Reply 3
Chill out. :smile:

If you weren't taught the subject and the teacher hasn't taken the time to go over it with you then what can you do? If it's a real problem, ask a parent/guardian to write a letter explaining the situation and stating that you're willing to complete the task once you're properly acquainted with the topics and techniques required.

Failing that, if you're crashing Higher history then I presume you're pretty adequate at English; google the topic and write an essay as you would usually, ignoring any prescribed techniques?
Reply 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/trade_empire_01.shtml

Read this. It'll give you content to attempt an essay, I'm sure.
Reply 5
The topic at hand is not one I'm especially knowledgeable on, but the "To what extent ..." type essays are always ones I love. Basically, get hold of several books on the slave trade, and scour them for quotes that hint at reasons for the Atlantic slave trade. Open with a standard introduction, then go straight into the reason mentioned in the title, Britain's military victories. Then, do a paragraph or two on each of the other reasons that you have researched (I'm guessing 3-5ish); then do your conclusion, which I'd advise being along the lines of "Britain's military dominance resulting from its naval victories cannot be ignored as a cause of the Atlantic slave trade, but as shown, other factors such as [...] were also major causes", and so on. Basically, at secondary school/college level, you're most safe by sitting on the fence. They tend not to take too kindly to you strongly showing your opinions and favouring one cause over any other. It's not particularly fair because at undergraduate level, and especially postgraduate, original thinking is exactly what they are looking for, but oh well.

Edit: And saying the names of historians who originally argued the ideas you're suggesting is always a good idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
How can you be expected to do an essay that you have no information on? Your teacher should have given you sample essays to allow you to see the structure, as well as content information and historiography. I wouldn't try to attempt it, you'll just get frustrated an upset. Leave it until monday then explain to your teacher why you haven't been able to do it

The Atlantic Slave Trade wasn't my topic so I can't really help you. But even I found my first higher history essay difficult, and I'd previously done int. 2.
Original post by Alt__x
Hi, I crashed higher history like a week ago, and I have a homework essay on a topic I wasn't there when they studied. The teacher kept saying she would go over it with me but she didn't... And now it's due for Tuesday!!!! Can anyone give mr any help on structure, content etc as I am completely clueless!!! I will love you forever if anyone can help me think up an essay to answer the following question:

To what extent were britain's military victories in the wars of the eighteenth century the main reason for the development of the Atlantic slave trade?

Hi I'll give you some general advice about history essays as I didn't study the topic you have been asked to write about.

So obviously you have an introduction, main body of facts, analysis and argument and then you sum up your argument in the conclusion and tell the marker that you believe whichever factor was the most important. This is important as it shows you actually have seen that different factors were more important than others and arrived on a judgement on which one is most important otherwise they will think that you haven't studied the topic thoroughly enough.

So introduction:

Britain's military victories in the wars of the eighteenth century was an important/significant reason for the development of the Atlantic slave trade. Then small illustration of why it was important. However other factors were also important (or arguably another factor was more important) such as: other factors. Combined they created the right conditions for the development of the Atlantic slave trade.

Main body:

First address the topic factor then if you think that it isn't the most important I'd structure it like:

Military victories
Then most important factor
Other remaining important factors

Or if you do think it was the most important but others were of similar importance then I'd do:

Military victories
Similar level of importance factor
Least important

Also if you believe that they are important or not then say it in your essay and also accompany it with an explanation why you think this as that's argument marks.

The conclusion:

In conclusion whichever factor was most important. Sum up why other factors did have importance. However while other factors were important they weren't as important as your chosen factor because...

That's how I did it. Remember make your argument flow and you will get 4/4 for structure. Don't say all factors were equally important as that won't be the case and will show you don't have much argument.

Also you can't do an essay without knowing the knowledge and formulating a opinion and analysing your findings so if you really haven't read enough to write the essay then don't bother as you will just write a not very good essay. Speak to your teacher if you can get more time to do the essay. :smile:

EDIT: Also this:

Original post by Craig_D
The topic at hand is not one I'm especially knowledgeable on, but the "To what extent ..." type essays are always ones I love. Basically, get hold of several books on the slave trade, and scour them for quotes that hint at reasons for the Atlantic slave trade. Open with a standard introduction, then go straight into the reason mentioned in the title, Britain's military victories. Then, do a paragraph or two on each of the other reasons that you have researched (I'm guessing 3-5ish); then do your conclusion, which I'd advise being along the lines of "Britain's military dominance resulting from its naval victories cannot be ignored as a cause of the Atlantic slave trade, but as shown, other factors such as [...] were also major causes", and so on. Basically, at secondary school/college level, you're most safe by sitting on the fence. They tend not to take too kindly to you strongly showing your opinions and favouring one cause over any other. It's not particularly fair because at undergraduate level, and especially postgraduate, original thinking is exactly what they are looking for, but oh well.

Edit: And saying the names of historians who originally argued the ideas you're suggesting is always a good idea.

That's very good advice although coming to a clear judgement through coherent argument is what they are looking for at Higher.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending