Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's in your make up bag?

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7887)
    how do you apply your concealer? i quite like the look of this
    After applying foundation, I just put a lil blob (REALLY small, like the size of a pencil nib) on the back of my hand, then kinda massage it with my finger a bit on the back of my hand (I find this warms it up a bit and makes it easier to spread), then I just dab it under my eyes and blend in. I then repeat and dab it onto acne scars I have on my cheeks.

I don't use any powder or anything... This MAC foundation is good, but I actually prefer the boi-ing one from Benefit. It's less messy and fiddly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7887)
    I tried out some mac face + body today...love it! its really nice and light, but not sure if the woman gave me the right shade. She matched me up with C5 which I think might be too dark what brush do you use to apply?

Also I've heard very good things about this primer, particularly if you have spot prone skin:
    i've ordered one to my local boots store so I'll let you know what I think! (I have oily spot prone skin too)
    Mac Face and Body FTW! I use my fingers. I watch alot of youtube beauty videos and alot of people on there recommend the elf powder brush. Many people who use Face and body use this brush to apply it and say it gives a flawless finish. Likewise, people who dont use face and body also use this brush to apply their foundation. The best part is that its only like 3 pounds. But you have to order online. If it was available in stores, Id deffo buy it and use that since I have only heard good things. If you dont mind ordering online and prefer using brushes then go for that
    But like I said, I use my fingers. i used to take quite lng applying it, trying to make it look perfect but after alot of practise, it literally takes me about a minute! On my "holy grail" thread, I said that no one has realised that i wear foundation and till this day they still havent!
    I never got matched because I hate shop assistants putting make up on me (dont ask why!) so I got C3. It is a little too dark for me but because the foundation is sheer, you still cant tell. It doesnt give me that orange face, white neck look because the foundation hasnt got alot of coverage. When I do wear it though, people have said "you've got a tan"or "you look glowy" but like I said no ones noticed its foundation. Andmy friends would deffinitely say something because I have been a hater of foundation and have never worn it before this. Soo if you dont mind your foundation being a bit too dark than go for the c5. If you'd rather go lighter than darker than go for the c4 as I doubt it would wash you out considering the coverage. Try get samples for both and see what compliments you better.

Thanks for the primer suggestion. I do have spt prone skin and Im scared about getting spots. Let me know how it goes as I havent yet got the money to buy a primer so if you like it, I might consider it over the Gosh one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7887)
    to those of you who carry brushes in your make-up bags...how do you store them? do you just put them in? i don't carry my brushes because i fear they'll get dirty/the bristles will get bent but i want to start carrying at least one brush.
    I keep the pouches the Ecotools brushes come in and put those in, but 2 or 3 to a pouch instead of individual brushes. It great, protects the bristles and stops leftover powder/blush/whatever going all over the place if I haven't had time to clean the brush, and doesn't take up too much space . A brush roll is probably even better but I haven't been able to find one that's sold separately from the actual brushes.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7887)
    how effective is the under-eye roll on? i've been toying with the idea of trying it
    I LOVE it, swear by it. It's well worth the price and blends really well - I prefer it to my Estee Lauder illuminator (which is basically like touche eclat). Just for a guideline, I'm golden-olive in skin tone and Medium suits me, but they have a really good shade selection from very light to very dark. If in doubt go for the lighter of the two as round the eye area you want it to be brighter anyway! Hope this helps
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Maxfactor Second Skin Foundation in Ivory
    Rimmel Glam'Eyes Mascara

That's it. Takes me about five minutes in the morning and I literally could not be bothered to do any more.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a concealer that works for very pale skin?

Was in boots today and I swear, everything I tried just looked like I was trying to fake tan my skin, it was so orange. Even the palest colours. It's so silly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambray)

Was in boots today and I swear, everything I tried just looked like I was trying to fake tan my skin, it was so orange. Even the palest colours. It's so silly.
    The lightest one I've found is Max Factor Xperience. I think the colour is "light ivory" Doesn't make me look orange at all
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybelline Kohl Express eyeliner,
    Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof mascara,
    Maybellne Dream Matte Mousse in nude,
    Boots Natural Collection Cover-up Cream
    A Clinique lipstick I got free at some promo thing in Selfridges,
    Vaseline,
    A bar of passion fruit soap that someone bought me for my birthday years ago. It keeps my bag smelling nice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Liquid Eyeliner, Mascara, Foundation, Pink Vaseline & Perfume
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    .....ummm my staples are:

-shu uemura eyelash curlers
    -chanel vitalumiere aqua foundation in br20
    -clarins beauty flash balm
    -la roche-posay hydraphase intense moisturizer
    -urban decay naked palette (not that i use e/s everyday..)
    -nars orgasm blush
    -dior blackout mascara
    -bare minerals warmth powder
    -chanel & guerlain bronzers
    -mac lipstick in see sheer & speed dial
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    L'Oreal Paris True Match Liquid Foundation:

No7 Creme Touch Translucent Powder:

L'Oreal True Match Blusher:

Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara:

Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Eye Pencil:

Urban Decay "Naked" shadow palette:

Revlon Matte Lipstick:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maxfactor Xperience Weightless foundation in 045 and 050 - I have to blend them now, whereas I used to use one or the other!
    A sample of Benetint I got out of a magazine - think I'll buy the real thing at the airport though :yep:
    Body Shop black liquid eyliner
    Maxfactor False Effect mascara - probably THE best I've ever tried.
    Body Shop All in One Face Base - Number 3.
    Body Shop Shimmer Cubes
    Body Shop Colourglide lipstick!

I work for Body Shop and get freebies, can you tell? :p:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambray)

Body Shop have some. There's the Lightening Touch pen (just like the Touche Eclait from Yves Saint Laurent) and there's a couple of others too. Get them to go through colours with you and show you the best way to use it, too!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A cheapo pink makeupbag from Primark

Glam'Eyes Day to Night Mascara ,

Another Bourjois Paris mascara,

Bourjois Paris Liquid eyeliner,

Bobby Pin (yes, pin not Brown :P) Lipgloss in a Darkish Pink colour

Some crappy blusher in a Fourpack

Makeup wipes
    Tiny bottle of perfume
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    About 20-30 lip balms/glosses
    Black, white, red and navy nail polish
    nail file
    hair scissors
    MUA lipstick shade 11

I don't use much make-uppy stuff =)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    1. Cover-up stick in Neutral from Natural Collection. Considering trying a new one, but foundation is generally fine for me.
    2. 'Shine-away' Foundation in Porcelain from Natural Collection.
    3. Dream Mousse Blush in Plum from Maybelline.
    4. Pressed Powder in Neutral from Natural Collection.
    5. A selection of eyeshadow pots from Natural Collection - my favourites being Barley and Mermaid.
    6. Lash Definition Mascara in Black from Natural Collection.
    7. Moisture Shine Lipstick in Sweet Pea from Natural Collection
    8. A selection of nail varnishes from Natural Collection - my favourites being Topaz and Petal.
    9. Typical odds and ends - a glass nail file, tweezers, a few palettes that I got for Christmas and whatever, &c.

The bag and brushes came as a set from 17.

I got into NC when I worked out that I didn't have enough money to be make-up and pay rent and I think it's not perfect, but it's good enough for me (and I tried loads of more expensive brands before I found the foundation was my perfect colour!).

I wear make-up quite a lot - full face for work (full-time). If I'm going out to pool, I might only wear mascara and lipstick (with perhaps a small bit of powder because I have quite greasy skin).

So yeah. I don't really wear eyeliner because I was never really good at it (and now I wear glasses so I don't know how to do it) but I find layering mascara can really alter your look
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Foundation, powder, mascara, eyelash curlers, sharpener, kohl eye pencil, white eyeliner, vaseline.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lots of discount stuff. So really random. LIke gold eyeliner and purple eyeliner Haha. Cause those colours were cheap I like eyeliner so I have lots of colours that's mostly it
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I feel like such a tomboy now.

My make up bag contains...

Nivea Soft face cream (I swear by it).
    Maybelline foundation...although I barely use it.
    Some tinted moisturizer...I think it's Nivea.
    Black eyeliner
    Mascara (some cheap one)
    And about 10 million eye shadows which I never use.

And that's that!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovefashion90)
    Mac Face and Body FTW! I use my fingers. I watch alot of youtube beauty videos and alot of people on there recommend the elf powder brush. Many people who use Face and body use this brush to apply it and say it gives a flawless finish. Likewise, people who dont use face and body also use this brush to apply their foundation. The best part is that its only like 3 pounds. But you have to order online. If it was available in stores, Id deffo buy it and use that since I have only heard good things. If you dont mind ordering online and prefer using brushes then go for that
    But like I said, I use my fingers. i used to take quite lng applying it, trying to make it look perfect but after alot of practise, it literally takes me about a minute! On my "holy grail" thread, I said that no one has realised that i wear foundation and till this day they still havent!
    I never got matched because I hate shop assistants putting make up on me (dont ask why!) so I got C3. It is a little too dark for me but because the foundation is sheer, you still cant tell. It doesnt give me that orange face, white neck look because the foundation hasnt got alot of coverage. When I do wear it though, people have said "you've got a tan"or "you look glowy" but like I said no ones noticed its foundation. Andmy friends would deffinitely say something because I have been a hater of foundation and have never worn it before this. Soo if you dont mind your foundation being a bit too dark than go for the c5. If you'd rather go lighter than darker than go for the c4 as I doubt it would wash you out considering the coverage. Try get samples for both and see what compliments you better.

Thanks for the primer suggestion. I do have spt prone skin and Im scared about getting spots. Let me know how it goes as I havent yet got the money to buy a primer so if you like it, I might consider it over the Gosh one.
    Face and Body is brilliant! although i thought c5 was a little too dark for me, you're right- it blends so well into the skin you can't tell at all. I tried a sample of c4 and that was a better shade so i bought that one instead :thumbsup: I've also ordered the ELF powder brush which works really well with this foundation.

I actually really like the witch primer! i've only been using it a few days with the face and body and I found that at the end of the day i still had good coverage and feels really light on the skin and hasn't broken me out at all:jiggy: I've never really used primer before so i can't comment as to whether its the best one out there, but i think for the price (around £6 i think?) its definitely something worth a try rather than spending £25+ on something which might not work as well/breaks you out.

I also really like the witch pressed powder. Its perfect for those moments when you get really shiny throughout the day and sets my foundation very well :adore:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 27, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.