The Student Room Group

Welsh Society

Scroll to see replies

Hah. After posting a blog about the Eisteddfod and how I'm proud to call myself Welsh, an old "friend" removed me from facebook and then posted a status saying "You're not Welsh, you were born in England so you can't be Welsh, just being in an Eisteddfod doesn't make you Welsh so STFU". Charming, eh?

I wonder if they'd prefer it if everyone who moves to Wales didn't bother trying to integrate, and if we boycotted Welsh-speaking schools and places that use the Welsh language, and never bought Welsh products? Thankfully I don't think these people are in the majority, but it really hurts when I'm so proud to consider myself Welsh - I have never been English and never will be as far as I'm concerned - and so grateful to the majority of the Welsh people who have been so accepting and so encouraging of my attempts to naturalize and to become as culturally Welsh as they are. I can't help where I was born, but why should that mark me for the rest of my life as different (apparently in a bad way) to my boyfriend, to my friends and inevitably, to my own children in the future?
Reply 261
Original post by madders94
Hah. After posting a blog about the Eisteddfod and how I'm proud to call myself Welsh, an old "friend" removed me from facebook and then posted a status saying "You're not Welsh, you were born in England so you can't be Welsh, just being in an Eisteddfod doesn't make you Welsh so STFU". Charming, eh?

I wonder if they'd prefer it if everyone who moves to Wales didn't bother trying to integrate, and if we boycotted Welsh-speaking schools and places that use the Welsh language, and never bought Welsh products? Thankfully I don't think these people are in the majority, but it really hurts when I'm so proud to consider myself Welsh - I have never been English and never will be as far as I'm concerned - and so grateful to the majority of the Welsh people who have been so accepting and so encouraging of my attempts to naturalize and to become as culturally Welsh as they are. I can't help where I was born, but why should that mark me for the rest of my life as different (apparently in a bad way) to my boyfriend, to my friends and inevitably, to my own children in the future?

omg that's horrendous!:eek:
I wasn't born in Wales(or even the UK...) either, but culturally I don't think I'm any less Welsh than my friends whose families have always lived here. I would be really offended if anyone dared insinuate that I couldn't consider myself Welsh. Your nationality has absolutely nothing to do with where you were born or your parents, but rather what country you have the most cultural affinity with.
Grrr - I'm angry on your behalf! :mad::colondollar:
(S)he probably wouldn't consider me Welsh either, despite the fact I've lived here my entire life, speak Welsh every day, and probably know more about Welsh literature and history than (s)he does.:rolleyes:

It's people like that who give Welsh people a bad name.
Reply 262
Original post by Dusty12
omg that's horrendous!:eek:
I wasn't born in Wales(or even the UK...) either, but culturally I don't think I'm any less Welsh than my friends whose families have always lived here. I would be really offended if anyone dared insinuate that I couldn't consider myself Welsh. Your nationality has absolutely nothing to do with where you were born or your parents, but rather what country you have the most cultural affinity with.
Grrr - I'm angry on your behalf! :mad::colondollar:
(S)he probably wouldn't consider me Welsh either, despite the fact I've lived here my entire life, speak Welsh every day, and probably know more about Welsh literature and history than (s)he does.:rolleyes:

It's people like that who give Welsh people a bad name.

They're probably the same type of people who refuse to call English-speakers in Wales Welsh too!
Original post by madders94

I've never understood why some people think where you're born or who your great grandmother was defines who you are. What matters is what you think you are...what you KNOW you are. I find that sort of attitude really bizarre.

And you're right BTW...the Gwynedd coast IS the place to be. Just spent a few days on the Llŷn as a break from revision. What I'd give to be back there now. :frown:
Original post by Kaiser MacCleg
I've never understood why some people think where you're born or who your great grandmother was defines who you are. What matters is what you think you are...what you KNOW you are. I find that sort of attitude really bizarre.

And you're right BTW...the Gwynedd coast IS the place to be. Just spent a few days on the Llŷn as a break from revision. What I'd give to be back there now. :frown:

It's beautiful but I do love Cardiff Bay and Porthcawl (the only bits of South Wales I can remember going to). There's something beautiful about Cardiff Bay, and we stayed at the Trecco Bay place in Porthcawl last year and are doing it again in July and I can't wait, it's a lovely place!

It's only when I visit where I was born and where my family still live that I realize just how lucky I am that my parents came here - we took my boyfriend to see the estate my dad grew up on and the flat where I lived for the first couple of years of my life and I really think he was quite shocked by it all.
How is everybody on this wet and windy Friday? :smile:
Reply 266
Original post by Aek-94
How is everybody on this wet and windy Friday? :smile:

Sitting in my bedroom, wondering whether I can be bothered to revise or not! :tongue: you?
Original post by Gales
Sitting in my bedroom, wondering whether I can be bothered to revise or not! :tongue: you?

Just got back from visiting a friend in Liverpool. I wish I hadn't bothered going now though. :colonhash:
Anyone watch the rugby yesterday?

:/
Pennal made the main headlines on the UK news! Not for good reasons, of course, but it was weird to see it. One of my friends has been evacuated from Pennal and she has six exams this week to revise for, I feel so sorry for her! The flooding up here's been pretty bad - not as bad as Borth/Mach way, but up by the Glaslyn the rivers have burst their banks and it's pretty nasty.
Reply 270
^Yeah, it's awful! Must be horrific to be evacuated so near exams.:eek:
I live in Aber and the entire main roundabout into town was so flooded that cars and caravans were just floating around. Luckily I live quite far from any rivers/marshy ground, but it's bad for the people in smaller villages further up the coast.:s-smilie:
Original post by Dusty12
^Yeah, it's awful! Must be horrific to be evacuated so near exams.:eek:
I live in Aber and the entire main roundabout into town was so flooded that cars and caravans were just floating around. Luckily I live quite far from any rivers/marshy ground, but it's bad for the people in smaller villages further up the coast.:s-smilie:

A friend moved out of her student house in Aber (just finished her final year) the day before the flooding hit, I think she was glad of it! I saw a picture of Morrison's and the Morrisons roundabout and it was crazy! :eek:

The main problem for us has been that over the past three days, three water mains in the village have burst and no-one quite knows why.
Reply 272
Guys, can hiraeth be used as a verb, as in 'Dwi'n hiraeth'?
Reply 273
Original post by Gales
Guys, can hiraeth be used as a verb, as in 'Dwi'n hiraeth'?

Yeah it can, but "hiraethu". e.g. "Dwi'n hiraethu am y gorffennol" or whatever.

It's such a lovely word. :h:

I've lost faith in my Welsh abilities slightly. In my exam this week I thought the word for "deluge" was "dilyg" so I wrote something descriptive about rain, feeling clever that I'd made a good comparison. I've now, however, found out that it's not even a word. Apparently the actual word is "dilyw". I hope the examiner has fun trying to figure that one out.:tongue:
Reply 274
Original post by Dusty12
Yeah it can, but "hiraethu". e.g. "Dwi'n hiraethu am y gorffennol" or whatever.

It's such a lovely word. :h:

I've lost faith in my Welsh abilities slightly. In my exam this week I thought the word for "deluge" was "dilyg" so I wrote something descriptive about rain, feeling clever that I'd made a good comparison. I've now, however, found out that it's not even a word. Apparently the actual word is "dilyw". I hope the examiner has fun trying to figure that one out.:tongue:

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 275
I'm so gonna miss Wales when I go to uni :frown:
Reply 276
Original post by Gales
I'm so gonna miss Wales when I go to uni :frown:

Me too.:frown:
Lots of my friends are going to Cardiff uni though so I plan to visit often.:tongue:
Plus I'll probably still have to go to the orthodontist in Carmarthen for most of the first year. I can tell now it's going to be really inconvenient.:s-smilie:
I'm glad I'm going to uni in Bangor, I don't think I could stand living away from Wales - I'm fairly sure this is where I want to spend the rest of my life, and thankfully my boyfriend feels the same :smile:
Did anyone else just watch that game? How much are we hating Joubert right now? I am livid! It's like the Rolland situation all over again! Fair enough we made mistakes but not enough to get that many penalties against us! :frown: it hurts being welsh sometimes!
Original post by remiquaver
Did anyone else just watch that game? How much are we hating Joubert right now? I am livid! It's like the Rolland situation all over again! Fair enough we made mistakes but not enough to get that many penalties against us! :frown: it hurts being welsh sometimes!

I didn't, but have no fear - you're not alone in your hurting. My mum just ranted at me and my dad for fifteen minutes straight. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest