The Student Room Group

Can i do biochem/biomed?

I have just finished AS levels and have a very keen interest in biology and particularly studying a degree in biomedical science or biochemistry

I was wondering that with my following AS grades attained so far with the anticipation I would get similar grades at A2 would i stand a chance of studying one of these degrees and at what universities would I be able to study? Also if anyone has specific knowledge on these degrees what would be the best university I could study at?

My AS level grades are:
Biology - B
Business - A
Religious studies - A
English Language - C
General Studies - B

The reason why I ask what universities I could study at because of my grades is because of my lack of AS chemistry
Reply 1
Hi,

Im in the exact same situation only I haven't met the grades I need, I thought I'd comment on this as I might get some useful info out of it, I hope you don't mind :smile:

i just want to ask anyone that answers on this, is it possible to jump up from a C to an A in chemistry if I were to work REALLY hard at A2 and redo one of my AS chemistry exams.

Thanks for any help, i'm really grateful.
I don't think that there are any universities that are worth going to who offer Biochemistry without Chemistry.

There are quite a few places that only list Chemistry as a "preferred subject" when it comes to Biomedicine. e.g. Warwick, Cardiff, East Anglia, Royal Holloway, Dundee &c.

To learn more you should go to the UCAS website and look through the unviersities that offer Biomedicine and see which ones you could be accepted into.
You should also consider e-mailing the Admissions tutor at those universities do determine how likely it is that you'll be accepted.
Reply 3
There is a lot of chemistry in biochemistry so lacking A level chemistry would make admission difficult if not impossible. I see you have only one science so I think you need to pursue other degree options.

I don't know enough about biomed or biology to comment.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Laura_93
Hi,

Im in the exact same situation only I haven't met the grades I need, I thought I'd comment on this as I might get some useful info out of it, I hope you don't mind :smile:

i just want to ask anyone that answers on this, is it possible to jump up from a C to an A in chemistry if I were to work REALLY hard at A2 and redo one of my AS chemistry exams.

yes it's possible. i had an E at AS and by the end of A2 i was a few ums off an A... so definitely ! i suggest pairing up unit 4&2 together and unit 5&1 for whichever you're retaking.
Original post by Laura_93
Hi,

is it possible? yes. Is it likely? If you work hard enough.

a B in Chemistry should be good enough to get you onto most Biomedicine/Biochemistry courses (barring the very best). Keep in mind that A2 Chemistry is substantially more difficult than AS.
Reply 6
Original post by teddyWS
yes it's possible. i had an E at AS and by the end of A2 i was a few ums off an A... so definitely ! i suggest pairing up unit 4&2 together and unit 5&1 for whichever you're retaking.

i got c's in both of the unit 1 and unit 2 exams, so which would you say is the best one to resit???

thanks for your help by the way.
Reply 7
I'm at Manchester, about to go into my 2nd year of Biomed. In the 1st semester last year there was a compulsory chemistry course for people that didn't have a C at A level chemistry or only had it to as level I think.

You should look on the UCAS website, or the university websites for more details about the specific courses you want to so, or email the admissions people.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest