The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton FAQs - Please Read Before Posting Another Thread

I have answered a lot of similar questions in numerous different threads, many right next to eachother. I've stopped doing so because it's annoying. 2011 Freshers, here are your FAQs:

Accommodation:

I haven't received my offer yet, but I applied before the deadline. What should I do?: Nothing. If you applied before the deadline, and qualify for the guarantee, you WILL get a room. It may not be your first choice, or any of your choices, but it will be a room. You get the opportunity to change it if you so desire(unless you get Orions' Point) - but most people end up loving their rooms.

When accepting my offer, they ask for card-details?: Yes, unless you're a Postgrad, they will not take a deposit. If you don't have the card you will be using for the payments yet, put down your parents and then change it once you reach uni. (The first instalment is in October). You'll have to go to the Student Services Centre.

I got ____ Halls, should I accept?: Unless you want to try out living in a cardboard box next year, YES. Even if it's not your choice. You get to change. If you reject it, there is no guarantee that you'll get another offer.

I got ____ Halls, is it really that bad?: No. They all have their positives and negatives, but most of the time, the things you have heard are exaggerations, and, mostly assumptions made by people who haven't stayed there.

When can I find out my room/flat?: When you move-in.

When can I move in?: Ensuite/Studio: Saturday 24th September 2011 (girls from 8-12, guys from 2-5. The timings are a guide,and not absolutely necessary).

Standard: Sunday 25th September 2011(timings same as above).

Will my flat be same-sex?: If you asked for it, yes. If not, maybe (although most likely not).

Will there be people from my course in my flat?: Possibly, not very likely though.

Will there be postgrads in my undergrad flat?: No. They generally separate post and undergrads.

Will there be International students in my flat?: Maybe. Uni's about meeting people, please keep an open-mind when someone tells you they're international. A lot of people (from the posts I've seen) seem to think having an International student in your flat is an automatic killjoy. It's not, they've moved thousands of miles away, be nice to them, they can't go home on the weekends if they feel homesick. :smile:

I'm living in Private Rented, will I still get the Freshers' experience?: Yes, the Private Rented JCR organises stuff for Private Rented +Orions' Point freshers. Do not fret.

(I can't remember any more)

Freshers:

When can I get my tickets?+Where?: First week September, at boxoffice.susu.org :smile:

Which events shall I get?: Whichever you want, you can get JCR/Basic Freshers packs or individually buy tickets.

I won't be able to buy them in the first week of September, will they run out?: No, there are more tickets than Freshers, they'll just be open to all students after a certain period.

Can I buy them when I get there?: Yes, people will be selling throughout the week, but you're advised to get them beforehand.

When shall I arrive?: Move-in weekend. Freshers' week starts on the 26th if you can't make the weekend.

I've been told that my department has an induction week, will I still have time for daytime activities?: Yes, they give time for the BunFight etc. Most inductions don't take very long either (unless you happen to be in ECS, then you'll be contacted about Jumpstart, which runs all week.)

How long does Freshers' week run for?: 2 weeks, the second week is usually JCR stuff.

check-out: www.susu.org/fresh for updated information on your Freshers week etc.

University Stuff:

I haven't received an email regarding enrolment yet, should I enroll?: Yes, set up a uni computing account and enrol at: www.soton.ac.uk/enrol
If you're an International student, your enrolment won't be complete until you do your Tier 4 Visa Check-in , but you can still do the rest of it.

It asks for a term-time address, I don't have room number what should I do?: Put a '0' in the place of room number. :smile: Remember to update it once you know!

Other people know their timetable, where can I find out?: www.sussed.soton.ac.uk Go to the resources tab>teaching timetable. It should be there, although not all courses will have theirs yet, so don't worry.

How do I choose options?: You can choose options by going on sussed, the resources tab, your personal information and then optional module choice.

I haven't received my student ID pack?: Print it off here: https://www.soton.ac.uk/sais/idstudio/studentid.html

How do I check my new shiny uni email?: on SUSSED, under the email tab, or www.outlook.soton.ac.uk (although they are phasing the latter out so it may not work for you freshers).

The bank requires a letter of confirmation of study from the Uni: I got one from my department by filling out this: http://www.wsa.soton.ac.uk/cms/fileb...ff582a00b1.doc
However, someone else has said all the banks require is the AS12N from UCAS.
I guess either works.

I want to change courses?: Contact the Admissions officer on your current course and the one you want to change to. Failing this, you could do it as soon as you arrive at Soton. :smile:

What else should I do?: Check out here: http://www.soton.ac.uk/enrol/new/before_you_arrive.html

(anything else?)

Hopefully, this will avoid repetitive questions, although I'm sure I've missed stuff on here. Please do let me know. (also, yay, it's stickied!)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very informative. Thanks for your effort.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by FEDUPxSAM
Very informative. Thanks for your effort.

You're welcome, now I hope the people I intended it for read this.
Reply 3
Wow thanks very much.

Just one thing - I'm an ECS student. What is 'Jumpstart'?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by HaydenE
Wow thanks very much.

Just one thing - I'm an ECS student. What is 'Jumpstart'?

Thanks

You'll be emailed about it soon-ish. It's the induction week for ECS, you'll have (supposedly)fun things to do all week, like a City Challenge (and if you win you get Jaffa cakes!). It's generally meeting people on your course and stuff (you tend to spend an awful lot of time with them). :biggrin:

I'll be helping out, so I'll see you then!
Reply 5
I think this thread should be stickied really answers alot of questions
Reply 6
Original post by prizm3d
I think this thread should be stickied really answers alot of questions

Wish I knew how to get someone to sticky it. Especially since I will spontaneously implode if I see another repeated question today.
Reply 7
Original post by unamed
Wish I knew how to get someone to sticky it. Especially since I will spontaneously implode if I see another repeated question today.

u gotta ask a mod to do that, try PMing one of them and see what happens
Reply 8
Does anyone know what the closest supermarkets are to wessex lane halls?
Reply 9
Original post by fox1993

There's a tesco express, Sainsburys local and a Co-Op about a 5 minute walk from wessex-lane. But for major grocery shopping, you'd need to take the bus (which is free and stops right in front of Monte/Connaught) to the Asda in town.
Reply 10
ok thanks
Reply 11
Original post by fox1993

I went to the Open Day last week and did the WL to Uni walk. I passed all 3 shops mentioned above on the way. :smile:
They're all pretty small but cover the basics. Sainsbury's was slightly better than the rest, Co-op was worst.
I'm thinking about whether fellow students would want to muck in to a home delivery with delivery cost split however many ways. :smile:
Btw, for information, the main road is full of takeaways and there's a 24 hour MuckyD's a few mins walk. Could be useful for those late night placements! :biggrin:
Which halls you in? I'm in Connaught as a Twin 2 so hope to get moved to Monte 1 or 2 shortly.
Reply 12
Original post by unamed
There's a tesco express, Sainsburys local and a Co-Op about a 5 minute walk from wessex-lane. But for major grocery shopping, you'd need to take the bus (which is free and stops right in front of Monte/Connaught) to the Asda in town.

Do you know which bus? 50% chance I'll get on the wrong one and probably will!:colondollar:
Reply 13
Original post by glf2110
Do you know which bus? 50% chance I'll get on the wrong one and probably will!:colondollar:

U1C towards Burgess road/uni/town (Burgess road being where the small tesco etc is)
or you could take the
U6H - same route up to uni, after which it goes to the hospital.

don't worry about the buses for the first couple of weeks, there are specially-placed people that announce every stop for those weeks so you can't get lost. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by unamed
U1C towards Burgess road/uni/town (Burgess road being where the small tesco etc is)
or you could take the
U6H - same route up to uni, after which it goes to the hospital.

don't worry about the buses for the first couple of weeks, there are specially-placed people that announce every stop for those weeks so you can't get lost. :smile:

You're a star! I'll pos rep you when TSR let me :rolleyes:
U6H Yay! Might need that one for one of my placements.
Thank you. :h:

Hopefully this will stop people spamming the Freshers Guide thread. :colone:
Reply 16
Just asking for confirmation, I've setup my payment methods as direct debit for my accomodation. Is it possible to add the total amount of 3k+ as an invoice on webpayments.soton.ac.uk, and pay in one go without resorting to it being debited on the due dates?

Also, I'd assume the same applies for my fees. i.e. I input the outstanding amount for the year on webpayments and proceed as above?
Reply 17
Original post by smmxwell
Just asking for confirmation, I've setup my payment methods as direct debit for my accomodation. Is it possible to add the total amount of 3k+ as an invoice on webpayments.soton.ac.uk, and pay in one go without resorting to it being debited on the due dates?

Also, I'd assume the same applies for my fees. i.e. I input the outstanding amount for the year on webpayments and proceed as above?

I'm not entirely sure whether you can do that with the accommodation, but you can with the fees (and get a measly 1% discount). I'd email the Student Services Centre just to make sure.
Reply 18
Can you change your payment method for halls? My offer will go soon and my student account isn't set up yet (Co-op taking the piss) so I'm thinking of just putting my mum's credit card down and setting up a direct debit when I get my account details, is this allowed? You mentioned that you can change the card but nothing about changing the actual method :confused:

Also you can choose options by going on sussed, the resources tab, your personal information and then optional module choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by tooosh
Can you change your payment method for halls? My offer will go soon and my student account isn't set up yet (Co-op taking the piss) so I'm thinking of just putting my mum's credit card down and setting up a direct debit when I get my account details, is this allowed? You mentioned that you can change the card but nothing about changing the actual method :confused:

Also you can choose options by going on sussed, the resources tab, your personal information and then optional module choice.

Can't see why not. They'll take your money any how! Phone the Student Services Centre. They'll sort it out for you. Tel: +44 (0) 2380 599 599

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending