The Student Room Group

Soccer pundit compares poor defending to "having a holocaust"

Storm in a teacup?

Sky sacked a previous pundit for a comment about the asian tsunami.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031125/Tony-Cascarino-compares-Arsenals-defending-Nazi-genocide-Sky-Sports.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Having a holocaust?
Reply 2
The analogy doesn't even make sense :/

Considering they sacked Rodney Marsh over the Tsunami joke, then Cascarino has got to go for sure.
Reply 3
Excuse my idiocy but how is this offensive?
Reply 4
Original post by Dan2009
Excuse my idiocy but how is this offensive?

Ever heard of the holocaust? You numpty.

[Edit] My bad, I immediately presumed he was referring to the Holocaust of World War Two, and it slipped my mind that the word has other meanings.

Apologies!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by scriggy
The analogy doesn't even make sense :/

Considering they sacked Rodney Marsh over the Tsunami joke, then Cascarino has got to go for sure.

Similar to "Having a nightmare"
Reply 6
Believe it or not, 'holocaust' - particularly without the definite article - is just a normal word. It doesn't refer exclusively to the Holocaust of the Jews in Nazi Germany.
Reply 7
Original post by Nibz93

Yes I just don't understand how its offensive, doesn't even make sense.
Reply 8
Traore was at LB. He is useless.
Reply 9
Daily Fail trying to con people once again :rolleyes:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/holocaust <-- The definition... a word that has been used for a long time before the Nazi's came
Original post by Nibz93

Presumably you mean the Holocaust, which was a specific historical event. A holocaust is any sacrificial offering wholly consumed by flames and, by analogy, poor defending by a football team.
Reply 11
Original post by L i b
Believe it or not, 'holocaust' - particularly without the definite article - is just a normal word. It doesn't refer exclusively to the Holocaust of the Jews in Nazi Germany.

Original post by Fusion
Similar to "Having a nightmare"

Whichever way you look at it, the word "holocaust," should not/cannot be used to describe a footballer having a bad game. Have you read the definition?? :rofl:

Rodney Marsh was sacked for much less, IMO.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't think he should be sacked. I'm just saying that the Rodney Marsh precedent suggests that he probably should be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Would be ridiculous if he got sacked over it, I could definitely see it happen though.
What a guy how can you even compare having a holocaust to poor defending. How did he even get the link.
Reply 14
Original post by Stardust Mirage
What a guy how can you even compare having a holocaust to poor defending. How did he even get the link.

Holocaust is a destruction on a mass scale. That's the definition (or close xD ) So it's a perfectly reasonable comparison.

Saying it was a bit insensitive i guess, and he'd probably want to change what he said if he could. But it in no way deserves him to be sacked or a whole article about it.

P.s.

'Hardly in the realms of Atkinson, Gray and Keyes. Total over reaction and some of the posters here should look in a dictionary for the actual meaning. Agree not a wise word to use but asking Sky to fire him is way way over the top.'

One of the top comments on the daily mail is actually an intelligent view point for once? ;O Thoroughly shocked.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by scriggy
Whichever way you look at it, the word "holocaust," should not/cannot be used to describe a footballer having a bad game. Have you read the definition?? :rofl:

It conveys to me his view that the player's performance was terrible, and I'm sure most people would agree. So insofar as we use language to express ourselves then it does the job.

Of course the insensitivty is another matter.
What, too soon? :rolleyes:
These sad acts who always call for people to be sacked remind me of the snitches at school who'd be sat there saying "Miss, Miss, Steven's CHEWING GUM in class"!
Original post by Moskva
Would be ridiculous if he got sacked over it, I could definitely see it happen though.

Wenger is short enough on defenders I can't see him getting rid of him now.
Reply 19
Not a great use of word, fairly insensitive, but not worthy of a sacking by any means. He was right too, Traore was crap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending