The Student Room Group

Math Studies?

I want to take Law at a good university and I'm wondering if taking Math Studies at IB would hinder me in anyway. I'm currently taking SL maths but I'm thinking about dropping to studies and maybe taking that a year early, giving me more time etc to concentrate on my other subjects after IB1.

My other subjects are HL Economics, English, History, SL Chinese B and DT.

Would my choice of taking studies instead of standard affect how universities will view me later on, even if the course I want to do how nothing to do with maths?
Original post by kaching
I want to take Law at a good university and I'm wondering if taking Math Studies at IB would hinder me in anyway. I'm currently taking SL maths but I'm thinking about dropping to studies and maybe taking that a year early, giving me more time etc to concentrate on my other subjects after IB1.

My other subjects are HL Economics, English, History, SL Chinese B and DT.

Would my choice of taking studies instead of standard affect how universities will view me later on, even if the course I want to do how nothing to do with maths?

I don't see why not. I took Maths Studies and technically Maths Studies is still a SL subject.

Surely it's better getting a 6 in Maths Studies than a 4 in Maths SL. x

Edit: I had 3 friends who took Maths Studies and they all got into Cambridge.
In most places, for something like law, maths studies shouldn't be a problem. However, do check carefully with the universities you intend to apply to, because there are some that won't accept maths studies. For instance, here in Germany, to the best of my knowledge, maths studies is not accepted.
Doesn't affect you in anyway, called up Oxbridge admissions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending