The Student Room Group

will this affect my application?

Throughout year 12, I had a lot of personal issues, which meant I missed a fair amount of school (depression, etc). Obviously this then impacted my grades and stuff...

Luckily I got 100% in Sociology, and 98% in Psych, which is what I want to do at university. So my AS results were AABCE

The E was in maths, so I'm worried if it will reflect badly on my UCAS application? My school are going to write to the universities and explain what's been going on, but I'm just worried I'll be rejected from some universities, because an E doesn't look great....

Reply 1
But you have done 5 AS and so it is more than expected. Your other grades are still good though. Maybe if they quickly mention it in your reference but you still have 4 good AS grades so you have done really well even if you didn't have the personal issues. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are worried just get your teachers to quickly mention it in the reference.
Reply 2
Original post by Tabers
But you have done 5 AS and so it is more than expected. Your other grades are still good though. Maybe if they quickly mention it in your reference but you still have 4 good AS grades so you have done really well even if you didn't have the personal issues. I wouldn't worry too much but if you are worried just get your teachers to quickly mention it in the reference.

The C was in General Studies, so it doesn't count at 2 of my universities
Reply 3
Original post by Sarah'
The C was in General Studies, so it doesn't count at 2 of my universities

Oh right. Well there are always resits that you can do to get up that grade. They can make a lot of difference even if you don't think you can try any harder. They will see the original grade if it was cashed in however you can then put it down again as pending to show that you are resitting it. So if I was you I'd resit an exam or two to get that grade up and get your teacher to mention it in your reference. Then they won't have to worry about linking your application up to an email. Then they know about it and I would think that they would take it into consideration and doing the resits shows that you are trying to do better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tabers
Oh right. Well there are always resits that you can do to get up that grade. They can make a lot of difference even if you don't think you can try any harder. They will see the original grade if it was cashed in however you can then put it down again as pending to show that you are resitting it. So if I was you I'd resit an exam or two to get that grade up and get your teacher to mention it in your reference. Then they won't have to worry about linking your application up to an email. Then they know about it and I would think that they would take it into consideration and doing the resits shows that you are trying to do better.

To be honest, I'm not sure I need the stress of Maths. I did great at GCSE, but I really struggled through AS :s. But I think I'm going to resubmit my english coursework, as I was one mark off an A. So it'll be worth getting AAACE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending